i recently bought a blackberry torch off ebay and i tried using it with my sim but it wont send messages, calls or surf the internet :S

when i ring, the phone says "service currently unavailable", although the phone has full signal and connected to wifi
    04-20-11 07:39 AM
    Are you using it on the same network it originally came from? if not, is it unlocked?

Do you have a blackberry specific data plan(BIS)?
    04-20-11 07:45 AM
    yeah i think so, the bb seems to have accepted the sim card without any problems

no, im just using a old sim card from my old htc phone which has a basic data plan, i haven't got any blackberry services
    04-20-11 08:08 AM
    Assuming the phone is either unlocked or your using it on the same carrier it is branded to. Data plan won't matter for voice calls, data and sms/mms will not work properly without a BB specific data plan.

Have you tried a battery pull after inserting the sim card?

Barring that doesn't work I would call your carrier and ask them whats up. Voice should work(assuming your device is unlocked or your using it on the same carrier it came from) regardless of whether you have a BB specific data plan.
    mazingmingster likes this.
    04-20-11 08:13 AM
    Try doing a battery pull with the sim still in your phone and see if that helps. If it wont call or text it could mean the IMEI for that phone has been blocked in your country.
    04-20-11 08:36 AM
    i tried a battery pull, but that doesn't seem to have cured the problem :|

i just realised the phone is branded to o2. im using a o2 sim at the moment
    04-20-11 10:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD