Hello Everyone,

I got a new handset on the day it launch and it turns out to be a defective handset.
    Issues:-

1. Wi-fi does not work. I can connect to my home router and it shows that i am connected but if i open the browser, it gives error. The router is fine, i use htc touch hd on the same internet router and it works fine.
    Also, wifi is listed as "n" but i cant connect it to my wireless n (5ghz) router.
    i need to turn the router frequency to 2.5 ghz for it to connect it.

2. Gap and light leakage near the bottom of the keyboard and it seems to be coming off at the edges. I noticed light leakage since yesterday nite. The keyboard seems properly fitted on the right side, near the silver bezel at the bottom.
    However from the bottom left till the area below the space key i can see gaps and light leaking.

3. Echo on calls, not tat bad i would say around 10 - 20 percent of calls.

4. Touch screen not accurate, sometime registers the touch sometimes doesn't.

5. Backlight issues, when auto dimming. For instance, if the backlight is off and when you press any button the screen should be bright, but it still is not.

add a rude rep at store to make matter worse.
    we were never told that you cannot cancel contract if you use more then 30 min.
    and when she brought that to her notice she was like, you dnt sign your house mortage before reading it.
    i was like, well if you had some ethics and did not rush through the pages by telling me that jst confirm the details and sign, then we would have definately read it.
    she was also not willing to look at the handset, saying its a issue with data, contact help desk.

we contacted help desk and they tried to troubleshoot but to no avail.
    finally we got a rim rep and they said defective handset.
    hopefully the 2nd handset would not end up this way.
    10-03-10 10:00 PM
    How do these devices make it through quality control?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 10:17 PM
    The contract says right on it that there are no returns after 14 days or 30 minutes of use. You should have read yourself. To expect a salesperson to read a whole contract out for you is ridiculous.

If you think your device is defective, exchange it for another one but don't expect to return it for a full refund.
    Last edited by Steve Rizla; 10-03-10 at 10:59 PM.
    10-03-10 10:56 PM
    The contract says right on it that there are no returns after 14 days or 30 minutes of use. You should have read yourself. To expect a salesperson to read a whole contract out for you is ridiculous.

If you think your device is defective, exchange it for another one but don't expect to return it for a full refund.

I have to agree... If someone tells you to sign something that has a ton of writing on it and you just go ahead and sign it without reading it, that's not really there fault, it's yours!

You can blame the carriers for the sales persons attitude.. The reps in their "stores" aren't there for any sort of customer service.. They are there to make you sign contracts.. Once that is done, their job is DONE. I do not agree with this strategy, but, it is the way they all work (Telus, Rogers, Bell etc).

It drives me insane that a store is totally branded "Bell" even though it's not actually a "Bell" store or "Bell" employees.. Simply people who make commission sales of contract deals...
    10-03-10 11:04 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I got a new handset on the day it launch and it turns out to be a defective handset.
    Issues:-

1. Wi-fi does not work. I can connect to my home router and it shows that i am connected but if i open the browser, it gives error. The router is fine, i use htc touch hd on the same internet router and it works fine.
    Also, wifi is listed as "n" but i cant connect it to my wireless n (5ghz) router.
    i need to turn the router frequency to 2.5 ghz for it to connect it.

2. Gap and light leakage near the bottom of the keyboard and it seems to be coming off at the edges. I noticed light leakage since yesterday nite. The keyboard seems properly fitted on the right side, near the silver bezel at the bottom.
    However from the bottom left till the area below the space key i can see gaps and light leaking.

3. Echo on calls, not tat bad i would say around 10 - 20 percent of calls.

4. Touch screen not accurate, sometime registers the touch sometimes doesn't.

5. Backlight issues, when auto dimming. For instance, if the backlight is off and when you press any button the screen should be bright, but it still is not.

add a rude rep at store to make matter worse.
    we were never told that you cannot cancel contract if you use more then 30 min.
    and when she brought that to her notice she was like, you dnt sign your house mortage before reading it.
    i was like, well if you had some ethics and did not rush through the pages by telling me that jst confirm the details and sign, then we would have definately read it.
    she was also not willing to look at the handset, saying its a issue with data, contact help desk.

we contacted help desk and they tried to troubleshoot but to no avail.
    finally we got a rim rep and they said defective handset.
    hopefully the 2nd handset would not end up this way.
    where is this device made??
    how can one device have alot of problems and how does one get pass QC
    10-03-10 11:34 PM
    How do these devices make it through quality control?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sometimes I wonder the same thing myself.

I guess as the phone is a relatively low dollar product (compared to an automobile or what have you), it's just not feasible or maybe profitable to check each and every one. I would imagine the individual sub assembly's are checked for proper function and rejected if defective. Then the phones are assembled and "random" quality checks are done where they grab a certain percentage off the line and check them.

Some stuff is out of the manufacture's control. The bad adhesive causing the lifting button panels is an example of that. Anytime you have to rely on outsourced parts you take that chance. My 9800 is Mexico 5 build, all that means is that it was assembled there. The parts are outsourced from different countries and shipped in to Mexico.

The company has to trust the parts are made correctly and the people assembling the product know what they're doing. There's just too many variables involved. When you make millions of any product a certain percentage are always going to have issues. IMO, more so with any 1st gen product.
    10-04-10 01:18 AM
    She clearly said 'Confirm the details', which you did by signing.

I suggest you go watch The Social Network, Eduardo did the same thing you did, but it cost him a **** of a lot more

Anyways, RIM has warranty.
    10-04-10 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD