Hi there guys! I'm quite new to the forum and also on the BlackBerry scene. So I've recently bought a new BlackBerry Torch a while ago and I want to know what are the first things that I need to do or configure to make it more fun to use and navigate. I need some advice, like is there a hack for BlackBerry or how to add themes and some other stuffs. What I've read so far is that when WiFi is on range or connected, that's the priority rather than the 3G, correct? And also about the phone syncing to computer, is it like copy then paste for music, pictures, etc? Any info would help.
    11-27-10 01:04 AM
    Get BerryBuzz and enjoy those awsome colorful notifications! and get Sixtools for some great added features.
    11-27-10 01:25 AM
    Just use the phone for now. no need to start confusing urself ir you're a n00bie
    11-27-10 01:28 AM
    Get BerryBuzz and enjoy those awsome colorful notifications! and get Sixtools for some great added features.
    Are those apps for free?
    11-27-10 01:38 AM
    No BerryBuzz is a paid app.

To answer your earlier question yes wifi takes priority over 3G. If you don't wan't you wifi on all the time and want to avoid the nusance of switching on and off your wifi there is Smartwifi which uses tower tiangulation to find where your wifi hotspots are and turns it on only the these areas. This is a paid app.

If you want weather there is weathereye. (free)

For themes just look here: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Themes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com When you see a theme you like just copy the ota link to an email and send it to yourself and access it from your Torch to download. Makes life a bit easier than typing out every URL.

Use either google maps or waze for GPS.

POYNT for functions similar to yellowpages (addresses and phone#s)with ability to see movie listings near you with trailers, as well as weather.

Enjoy your Torch.
    Last edited by aznlgcy; 11-27-10 at 01:56 AM.
    11-27-10 01:53 AM
    Almost all apps can be found from Blackberry App World or the Crackberry App Store
    11-27-10 01:57 AM
    No BerryBuzz is a paid app.

To answer your earlier question yes wifi takes priority over 3G. If you don't wan't you wifi on all the time and want to avoid the nusance of switching on and off your wifi there is Smartwifi which uses tower tiangulation to find where your wifi hotspots are and turns it on only the these areas. This is a paid app.

If you want weather there is weathereye. (free)

For themes just look here: BlackBerry Torch 9800 Themes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com When you see a theme you like just copy the ota link to an email and send it to yourself and access it from your Torch to download. Makes life a bit easier than typing out every URL.

Use either google maps or waze for GPS.

POYNT for functions similar to yellowpages (addresses and phone#s)with ability to see movie listings near you with trailers, as well as weather.

Enjoy your Torch.
    Thanks man! Appreciate your help. One question though, can you recommend me any good themes out there that is free. I can't afford to buy theme atm. Hope you can help me.
    11-27-10 02:03 AM
    What kind of themes are you looking for?
    11-27-10 02:06 AM
    If you feel like something christmas
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...-theme-548368/
    11-27-10 02:08 AM
    I personally used this one for awhile and found no problems except icons too black for my liking
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/free-noir-553931/

A Droid Theme: nice theme
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/be...9800-a-541374/
    11-27-10 02:10 AM
    Here is one more:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...ansblu-548240/

Take your pick. They all look amazing for free themes.
    11-27-10 02:15 AM
    One more freebie and my fave http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...-theme-544741/. And there are lots more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-10 06:40 AM
    First thing you should do before buying any apps or installing any themes is just get used to the device. give it a week or so. Then start playing with new themes and apps. No sense in installing a bunch of crap to only be disappointed when you cant figure out how to use them, or to discover your killing your battery, cause you don't know how to properly shut down apps.

I say being a n00bie, get used to how the device works to begin with.
    11-27-10 06:47 AM
    Storm slider is a cool app to lock your
    Torch. I'm using the free version and it works well with my Torch.

11-27-10 09:20 AM
    I personally used this one for awhile and found no problems except icons too black for my liking
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/free-noir-553931/

A Droid Theme: nice theme
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/be...9800-a-541374/
    Thanks! I like to download that Droid theme but it seems that I can't download it, it just redirects me to a site.
    11-27-10 12:19 PM
    Glad to have helped. Enjoy your new Torch
    11-27-10 12:50 PM
    Glad to have helped. Enjoy your new Torch
    Do you have alternate link for that Droid6? It looks nice but I can't download it.
    11-27-10 12:54 PM
    No sorry it was on there about a month back. I guess they removed it sorry. Try looking in the Torch 9800 themes section and see if you can find a similar droid theme
    11-27-10 08:09 PM
    I have a new question, it seems to be that my phone only lasts for a day. I've charged it for the first time for about 3 hrs I think, is that too much or too quick? I've read that it should be 16 hrs for the first charging so I'm confused. I need help.
    11-28-10 11:09 AM
    It doesn't matter how long or short you leave your phone on the charger for..the new batteries nowadays don't have "memories"..but they still take a few days to "condition". After your batteries drained or low..generally leave it on overnight to charge..this way you start a day with a nice fresh battery. Then you can start to get a feel for how long its taking for the battery to drain..and depending on usage this could be anywheres from 12-36+ hours.

If your not using things like GPS and WiFi be sure they are turned off..as they are known to drain the battery. As well..you can also turn down the backlighting on the screen to help. You'll find an assortment of tips and tricks throughout this forum from all sorts of helpfull users.

11-28-10 11:44 AM
    It doesn't matter how long or short you leave your phone on the charger for..the new batteries nowadays don't have "memories"..but they still take a few days to "condition". After your batteries drained or low..generally leave it on overnight to charge..this way you start a day with a nice fresh battery. Then you can start to get a feel for how long its taking for the battery to drain..and depending on usage this could be anywheres from 12-36+ hours.

If your not using things like GPS and WiFi be sure they are turned off..as they are known to drain the battery. As well..you can also turn down the backlighting on the screen to help. You'll find an assortment of tips and tricks throughout this forum from all sorts of helpfull users.

Oh okay, thanks man. So you think leaving it charging for overnight would be okay for new battery? And how can I turn off the GPS on my phone? Also, I've read about the OS having a factor to that, I think I have the stock OS on my phone so how can I update it? Do I need to or not necessary?
    11-28-10 11:49 AM
    One more thing, I need to know how to update my Torch. Mine is running on the stock OS. So what do I need to do first? And also my carrier is AT&T, do I need to do something before updating or I just need to download the .337 OS install to my computer and plug in my phone, that's it? Can you help me out guys please. I'm new to this.
    11-28-10 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD