Hi everyone,
    New BB owner here. I've had it a couple of days, and wow it's going to take me forever to get the hang of this thing. On first glance I noticed one that I can't play videos like my brother can on his IPhone. Also My Torch is so deathly slow when running on my wifi that I don't play with it when I'm in front of the tv which is a real bummer. My internet is really fast, 8mb and my laptops scream, but my Torch takes on average 20-30 seconds to load a page. Any ideas on these two issues. Oh yea, boy these keys are tiny, is there a learning curve to using them?
    Thanks,
    Sky
    04-16-11 08:50 PM
    You should be able to play videos with youtube. What kind of videos is your brother playing on his iPhone? I don't use Wi-Fi personally. I know most people around here do. I leave my phone on Edge most of the time and pages load just fine for me. Why not just use 3G when you're surfing the web on your Torch?

The more you type, the more you'll get used to the keyboard.
    04-16-11 09:20 PM
    I'm not sure why your having problems playing videos and browsing the web on wi-fi. My Torch does both very well, without the 20-30 lag you describe.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Make sure you're running your carriers latest OS (Connect your phone to your computer and check for updates with Desktop Manager)

2) Make sure you're actually connected via wi-fi. (Open Options, select Networks and Connections, then Wi-Fi Network)

3) Try running a memory cleaning tool. (Memory Booster is free, but you need to run it manually every once in a while. Memory Optimizer will set you back 99 cents, but runs in the background and periodically cleans memory for you, keeping your phone running fast. You can find both by searching for "memory" in App World on your phone.)

The physical keyboard on the Torch is probably the worst RIM offers -- but it's still better than every other manufactures keyboard It does take some time to get used to it, but once you do you'll have a lot of trouble getting along without it. Don't worry, after a weeks worth of emails and text you'll be typing like a pro -- without even looking.
    04-16-11 09:41 PM
    I don't think after having his phone for a couple days would memory cleaning be a major issue yet. I personally would start with just a battery pull. People new to the BlackBerry platform tend not to know the basics and the I'm sure he probably has installed apps and aren't aware of the effectiveness a simple battery pull will do. I would definitely do something that takes a second before we have them running around downloading operating systems and trying to find apps. Trouble shoot the basics first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pmanchin; 04-16-11 at 09:53 PM.
    04-16-11 09:50 PM
    Thanks guys. I found a post that spoke about optimal settings for your router, I have it set correctly. My wifi internet is very fast on my laptops but the Torch is so slow it's unusable. I'll pull the bat and get back to you. How I check my OS to see if it's up to date?
    04-16-11 10:18 PM
    Options > Device > About Device Versions: Third line of text. Then post what you see.

04-16-11 10:29 PM
    No go on the battery change. It took 45 seconds to load Google. I think the phones got a problem.
    04-16-11 10:29 PM
    I'm not sure why your having problems playing videos and browsing the web on wi-fi. My Torch does both very well, without the 20-30 lag you describe.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Make sure you're running your carriers latest OS (Connect your phone to your computer and check for updates with Desktop Manager)

2) Make sure you're actually connected via wi-fi. (Open Options, select Networks and Connections, then Wi-Fi Network)

3) Try running a memory cleaning tool. (Memory Booster is free, but you need to run it manually every once in a while. Memory Optimizer will set you back 99 cents, but runs in the background and periodically cleans memory for you, keeping your phone running fast. You can find both by searching for "memory" in App World on your phone.)

The physical keyboard on the Torch is probably the worst RIM offers -- but it's still better than every other manufactures keyboard It does take some time to get used to it, but once you do you'll have a lot of trouble getting along without it. Don't worry, after a weeks worth of emails and text you'll be typing like a pro -- without even looking.
    Recompile, I apologize if I seemed harsh. After reading what I posted it seemed a bit rude. Good info.

04-16-11 10:31 PM
    That's google mobile site correct?

04-16-11 10:33 PM
    6.0 bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, platform 6.4.0.105)
    04-16-11 10:33 PM
    I just tested Google and it took 2-4 seconds with 3G 5 bars. Are you on EDGE or 3G while you're browsing?

Last edited by pmanchin; 04-16-11 at 10:37 PM.
    04-16-11 10:35 PM
    That's google mobile site correct?

Yes it is mobile.
    04-16-11 10:36 PM
    Sky, I'm on my mobile at the moment so I can't see your carrier info, are you through AT&T?

04-16-11 10:36 PM
    I just tested Google and it took 2-4 seconds with 3G 5 bars. Are you on EDGE of 3G while you're browsing?

No, Wi fi. I have no service at home.
    Sky
    04-16-11 10:37 PM
    I do have decent speed when on 3g.
    04-16-11 10:37 PM
    Sky, I'm on my mobile at the moment so I can't see your carrier info, are you through AT&T?

Yes AT&T
    Sky
    04-16-11 10:38 PM
    Who is your carrier?

04-16-11 10:38 PM
    Who is your carrier?

at&t.......
    04-16-11 10:40 PM
    AT&T released an update, you can try OTA.

Options > Device > Software Updates

See if anything is available to you yet.

Last edited by pmanchin; 04-16-11 at 10:43 PM.
    04-16-11 10:41 PM
    Sorry, I didn't see your original post. Apologies.

04-16-11 10:42 PM
    Sorry, I didn't see your original post. Apologies.

Not a problem, thanks for the help. Checking for updates now, it's been 3 minutes.....still waiting.
    04-16-11 10:48 PM
    Well, there is an update. If you have Desktop Manager installed on your laptop, you can connect your Berry through there and check for updates. I'm more than sure it will be available. If not, it will be pushed to your device shortly.

04-16-11 10:53 PM
    There are two Wi fi hotspots close to me. I'll go there tomorrow, if it's still this slow it's back to at&t for another one.
    04-16-11 11:09 PM
    I just tested Google and it took 2-4 seconds with 3G 5 bars. Are you on EDGE or 3G while you're browsing?

Google loaded in 5 seconds on EDGE for me.
    04-17-11 08:29 AM
    Go on your laptop and download desktop manager. You can find this through a quick google search. Connect your torch to your laptop and it should come up with an update for your phone. Update your phone and your issues should be levitated.
    04-17-11 08:43 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD