First time BB owner.

I picked up my Torch in January on AT&T's site for $20 (it's a refurb).

I came from a first generation iPhone that I absolutely HATED, the constant waiting for email, the lag, the lack of mms; needless to say it never impressed me.

Once it was upgrade time, I had a hard time choosing which phone I would get. The Android phones looked pretty sweet and my boss had good things to say about his Evo and Thunderbolt, but he sticks with his iPhone 4; something I wasn't going to do.

So my fiance is browsing through the store with me and points out the Torch. The features grabbed me. Touchscreen - check. Keyboard - check, fast email - check.

I pulled the trigger. Then I went and read the reviews and was more than nervous. This thing was being battered by the tech-sites like nothing I had seen. Great, I'm getting a laggy, under-powered, poor os pos.

I found this site, signed up for an account, and read some threads. Some good, some bad. I began to feel a bit better about my choice and decided I would really give this phone a run before I rendered an opinion.

Six months later, I can tell you I am in LOVE with this phone!

The big gripe was the screen. I seriously see nothing wrong with it. Sure, it could be bigger, but all that does is kill your battery faster. I never could understand how the young 'techies' with vision much better than mine, would need a 60' HD TV screen for their phone. This screen does a great job for what I need it to do.

I have only experienced lag once, about two weeks ago, this was cured with an upgrade to the os and now it is humming along like a boss. Seriously, no lag whatsoever.

The os is responsive. I love the customization on the device (I got the iberry4 theme and it looks great!). To be honest, as a first time BB owner, I found getting around this phone to be so easy. I have also loaded leaked os's on it with zero problems. BB 6 is very nice. The web browser does the job just fine, although it could be a little faster, I didn't have a problem with it.

The camera is fine. My fiance has an iPhone4 and my pictures look just as good as hers, if not better. Video is nicer on the ip4, but not all that much.

Did I mention that the Torch is a workhorse? It handles email, texting, documents and anything else I can throw at it with no problems. It truly is, imho, the premier communication device out there at the moment.

If you're on the fence about getting one; don't hesitate! The build quality is solid, I've had no wobble, stuck keys, or anything else negative. I seriously don't understand the negativity on this device by the tech-sites. Do they even understand what it is a BB does (I'm talking to you Gizmodo)?

I'm now, thanks to my cheap, refurbished Torch, a BB addict for life! Great job RIM, now bring out the Torch 2!
    06-26-11 11:34 AM
    Great post! I have had great use of my Torch as well! A little more excited to get the bigger keypad of the Touch, but the Torch 2 will be just that much better!
    perry34 likes this.
    06-26-11 11:38 AM
    I also have a refurbished Torch, since I crushed my first one with my ATV.
    I LOVE this phone. It does everything I want and it gets me through my day with minimum fuss.
    I'll be getting the Torch 2, but I'll wait this time until they release it in white or red - if they do. My current Torch is just wonderful, so I can wait.
    perry34 likes this.
    06-26-11 01:07 PM
    Really? I want out of mine so bad I can taste it. Seriously. It makes me scream out loud. Mostly the jumpy trackpad. I'm also not feeling the slider or the cramped KB. It is a workhorse though. Reliably gets my stuff done, battery usually lasts all day, gmail is instant... Do people who use it for internet, music, games, etc have much love for the thing? I try to look up stuff on the net now and then, but usually give up before I get what I want or need.
    06-26-11 03:28 PM
    I went from the curve to the torch, and it has been my best phone upgrade ever, i really look forward to the torch 2
    06-26-11 03:47 PM
    great post. I'm excited now. I'm still in my 30 days of the torch. I bit the bullet instead of waiting becuase it was free. And aside that I think I can wait a bit for an upgrade. Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-11 03:58 PM
    Really? I want out of mine so bad I can taste it. Seriously. It makes me scream out loud. Mostly the jumpy trackpad. I'm also not feeling the slider or the cramped KB. It is a workhorse though. Reliably gets my stuff done, battery usually lasts all day, gmail is instant... Do people who use it for internet, music, games, etc have much love for the thing? I try to look up stuff on the net now and then, but usually give up before I get what I want or need.
    I find that my browsing experience is better on my Torch than it was on the Atrix. Now....I think I need to repeat that....my Torch is better at browsing than my Atrix.
    To be sure, my Atrix was faster the first few weeks. Then lag developed. In the DC Metro I could load up pages faster on my Torch than on the Atrix.
    I remember one day when I'd had it for about three weeks and I'd been waxing rhapsodic about how wonderful my Atrix was....a friend came over to look at it and I could not load a single page faster on the Atrix than on the Torch.
    As far as games I only loaded up Angry Birds and really, I wasn't impressed.
    Music and videos were phenomenal on the Atrix. Unquestionably. However, everything else was better for me on the Torch.
    So....I left a super spec Android device for my trusty, trusted, under spec Torch. And I am so very glad I did.
    06-26-11 09:26 PM
    I find that my browsing experience is better on my Torch than it was on the Atrix. Now....I think I need to repeat that....my Torch is better at browsing than my Atrix.
    To be sure, my Atrix was faster the first few weeks. Then lag developed. In the DC Metro I could load up pages faster on my Torch than on the Atrix.
    I remember one day when I'd had it for about three weeks and I'd been waxing rhapsodic about how wonderful my Atrix was....a friend came over to look at it and I could not load a single page faster on the Atrix than on the Torch.
    Music and videos were phenomenal on the Atrix. Unquestionably. However, everything else was better for me on the Torch.
    So....I left a super spec Android device for my trusty, trusted, under spec Torch. And I am so very glad I did.
    Kinda surprised about your Atrix. You're so right about the Torch. I love it!

If it runs this good on a under-powered processor, just imagine what it'll do with a 1.2 ghz under the hood!

Thanks for all the replies folks!
    06-26-11 10:57 PM
    can you comment on your experience with ATT's signal, coverage, speed?
    06-26-11 11:06 PM
    I've had no problems with AT&T. I'm on edge area of coverage, but my browser loads fast enough (when not on wifi) and zero dropped calls.

Their customer service has been very good as well.

I'm actually thrilled with them.
    06-26-11 11:09 PM
    Great Post Perry! I loved the Torch, but it wasn't available for me because im on T-mobile. But I personally cant wait for the new Bold Touch to come out!
    06-26-11 11:44 PM
    The only complaint I have with my Torch is that I had to drop Verizon to get it. Big Red, please carry the Torch 2! I promise I'll come back to you if you do.

OK, I do have another complaint. Sometimes if I forget to lock the screen I send bizarre text messages to random people while the phone bounces around in my pocket.

Other than that, I love it!
    06-27-11 03:16 AM
    Just shifted to the torch from bold 2 and I love the bigger screen and seems to be responding better than my bold2.
    06-27-11 09:48 AM
    I recently switched over to an HTC Inspire and I hate it. I thoroughly love(d) my BB Torch.

I've only ever owned three smart phones and 2/3 were BlackBerry (with my first smart phone ever being a BB too). I'm not sure if I'm used to how BB does things or if OS6 is right for me.

Things I have learned that make a smart phone ideal for me the Torch possesses:
    Awesomesaucerific battery life
    Fairly decent camera
    Media playing capabilities
    Touch screen & trackpad (the one feature I felt was missing from my Storm)
    GUI for new messages etc.

Bit of a ramble but your post mirrors my feeling exactly. My new device is flashy and has terrible battery life where as my BB was a solid work horse that did all the extra things I needed very well.

I will be waiting for the Torch 2 and getting an iPod touch as a companion device.

edit: I forgot to mention things that i like:
    central button vs top of phone
    buttons separate from the screen for making calls explicitly
    Last edited by araLe-tot; 06-27-11 at 10:23 AM. Reason: add more stuff!
    06-27-11 10:18 AM
    The only complaint I have with my Torch is that I had to drop Verizon to get it. Big Red, please carry the Torch 2! I promise I'll come back to you if you do.

OK, I do have another complaint. Sometimes if I forget to lock the screen I send bizarre text messages to random people while the phone bounces around in my pocket.

Other than that, I love it!
    I set my convenience key to password lock the screen to get around that. ^_^
    06-27-11 10:19 AM
    I got my Torch the same time as you and I can't see myself with any other phone but a Blackberry ever again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 11:20 AM
    Bit of a ramble but your post mirrors my feeling exactly. My new device is flashy and has terrible battery life where as my BB was a solid work horse that did all the extra things I needed very well.

I will be waiting for the Torch 2 and getting an iPod touch as a companion device.

edit: I forgot to mention things that i like:
    central button vs top of phone
    buttons separate from the screen for making calls explicitly
    Yup. What's on paper does not necessarily dovetail reality.

Real world situation - I had a position open and I interviewed five candiates last week. The highest scoring candidate had an impeccable resume and went to a great school with perfect congruence between his degree and the position I had. And he was an id1iot.

I selected the second candidate. Not the best school. Not exactly the same degree. But absolutely brilliant in his knowledge and ability to understand what the position required. He knew our mission, he knew our culture, he knew what I needed.

What's on paper is just that - paper. The best device in the world is useless if it does not do and does not act like *I* want it to act/do.
    06-27-11 11:29 AM
    Great Post Perry! I loved the Torch, but it wasn't available for me because im on T-mobile.
    I bought an unlocked Torch to use on T-Mobile. Love the touchscreen and OS6! Granted you don't get T-Mo 3G, but you do get T-Mo UMA!
    06-27-11 12:11 PM
    I bought an unlocked Torch to use on T-Mobile. Love the touchscreen and OS6! Granted you don't get T-Mo 3G, but you do get T-Mo UMA!
    O_o WHAT?! HOW??? lol
    06-27-11 12:51 PM
    nevermind i just saw your signature lol. aw well, ill just wait for the bold touch on T-mo and get their 4G HSPA+ speeds!
    06-27-11 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD