Hello,

I, for some reason I do not quite understand, have multiple contact lists for my Blackberry Contacts. Having searched around a bit on the internet, it does not seem possible to merge the contact lists on the Torch 9800 itself.

The thought occurred to me that it may be possible to do this by making a full back-up of the Blackberry on my Mac, and then editing or somehow merging the different contact lists on the Mac, and then restoring them to the Blackberry. I have made the full back-up, but when I then go to open the back-up, I am asked to choose an application to open a file with the suffix .bbb.

I have no idea what application I need to open this file and, I am guessing, that even if and when I can download and or have the right application, I will then have to look for specific contact files somewhere "deep down" whose file names I don't know, before I can even start to edit them.
    Could anyone very kindly give me some hints as to whether this task is possible on a Mac and indicate what the first few steps might be.

Many thanks in advance.
    08-28-13 09:56 AM
    Hello,

I, for some reason I do not quite understand, have multiple contact lists for my Blackberry Contacts. Having searched around a bit on the internet, it does not seem possible to merge the contact lists on the Torch 9800 itself.

The thought occurred to me that it may be possible to do this by making a full back-up of the Blackberry on my Mac, and then editing or somehow merging the different contact lists on the Mac, and then restoring them to the Blackberry. I have made the full back-up, but when I then go to open the back-up, I am asked to choose an application to open a file with the suffix .bbb.

I have no idea what application I need to open this file and, I am guessing, that even if and when I can download and or have the right application, I will then have to look for specific contact files somewhere "deep down" whose file names I don't know, before I can even start to edit them.
    Could anyone very kindly give me some hints as to whether this task is possible on a Mac and indicate what the first few steps might be.

Many thanks in advance.
    Actually a backup would be the more difficult path. Easiest way is to use Desktop Manager to sync your contact lists (import) into a mail program. You can map them individually and import them both there. Then you can merge them on the computer. After you are sure they are merged, wipe them both from the BlackBerry. To do this, do the following:

go into your contacts
    press menu
    select options
    highlight but do not click on one of the contact lists.
    type RSET. (you will not see anything as you are typing)

It will ask to wipe and reload from server if applicable, if not it will simply wipe and remove. Rinse and repeat for the other contact list.

Then just use Desktop Manager to export from your mail program to the Blackberry, and you should have a single, unified address book.
    08-28-13 10:01 AM
    Wow, that was fast!

This sounds good. Could I use Desktop Manager to sync the contact lists into Entourage on the Mac, even if my default contacts and mail applications on the Mac are the native Address Book and Mail respectively? Or does Entourage automatically take all its contacts from the native Address Book application? I ask this because I use the BB mainly for work and have lots of other contacts in the Address Book application that I don't really need on the Blackberry.
    08-28-13 10:09 AM
    Hmm. I have just had a look at this process and failed at the first hurdle. Desktop Manager does not give me the option to sync to the application of my choice, never mind Entourage, Mail or Address Book. It just offers me a two-way Sync option between the Mac and the BB, which is the process I have always used and seems to have been responsible for creating the multiple contact lists in the first place.
    08-28-13 10:27 AM
    Hmm. I have just had a look at this process and failed at the first hurdle. Desktop Manager does not give me the option to sync to the application of my choice, never mind Entourage, Mail or Address Book. It just offers me a two-way Sync option between the Mac and the BB, which is the process I have always used and seems to have been responsible for creating the multiple contact lists in the first place.
    There should be a sync configuration or advanced synch

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 02:13 PM