Hi all

i got a doubt about the use of the Torch as a modem.

3 days ago i just got my brand new Torch, i made a restore and settled everything as i did have it on my old 9700, so i just when on ahead to use my torch as a modem as i used to do with my other phone, then as it just got connected to the pc i noticed that the BB logo from the network dissapeared, but i did had the internet connection on my pc coming from the BB, so i tried to do something on the BB while it was on modem mode, but it didnt do anything that used data such as talking trough BBM, web browsing, etc.

as soon as i disconnected it from the pc and it went out of the modem mode, the BB logo cameback and couple of conversations popped up on my BBM, emails came in as well, like they were waiting untill i finished to go in.

so my actual question is, is this normal, that the phone gives all the data to the pc in modem mode leaving itself without data?

because i use to use my 9700 a lot as a modem and that never happened while it was on modem and i was completely able to use everything requiring data on my 9700 and still use the active connection on my pc

this turning out kinda frustrating for me, so whoever cam help me out i'll be more than thankfull

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Orlan2; 07-16-11 at 11:19 PM. Reason: correctiond in some misspelled words
    07-16-11 11:14 PM
    Yes I'm using the DM to start the mobile interntet, I use to do it with my 9700 the same way the BIS logo never dissappearead from the BB and it was the same carrier which is Orange

I have a theory, I think that maybe its the OS on the phone! I just got it 3 days ago and I haven't updated it yet is running the OS 6.0.0.246, I haven't updated it since I was reading that the other updates for this phone were having too many bugs and this one was running fine for me, but this situation while I'm tethering drives me nuts! : /

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 11:41 AM
    Ha. Definitely update the OS. Everything between 246 and 534 (my choice) is better. I am sure all choices up to 600 would be just as decent for you and smooth out any ruffles you might have.

Orlan2 likes this.
    07-17-11 01:39 PM
    i was checking some Fixes and Findings for several leaked and official OS for the torch, so i noticed that the most recommended one was the 448, so i think i'll go for that one, since it was exactly the same build i used to have on my onyx and it worked flawlessly, i barely saw the clock on my screen, and the memory leak was really minimun, so i'll download and install, as soon my torch is back up i'll let u know guys how's been working for me and if my issue got fixed

thanks once again.
    07-17-11 01:59 PM
    i updated to the 448 version and still is doing it that is not cool at all how can i fix that?
    07-17-11 08:29 PM
    Is that nobody is going to help me out? OMG! I thougth I could get some help in here gosh! -_-

07-18-11 03:49 PM
    Its not that at all. People have similar setups without the problem you have. In this situation its often unclear what the problem is and it ends up being difficult to pinpoint.

07-18-11 04:15 PM
    OMG! What a big disspaointment from this phone, and what bothers me is all the struggle I went through to buy it!

07-18-11 06:12 PM
    Did you ever consider calling your carrier or rim and ask them if this is intentional on your plan or carrier?

Edit: I am not quite sure why you are getting upset over this. We have a lot of answers and solutions here, but it doesn't mean we have them all.

Last edited by auntjemima; 07-18-11 at 07:54 PM.
    07-18-11 07:52 PM
    i'm sorry men emotional moment it went up to my head :/ about calling my carrier i alredy did, they reffered me to a BlackBerry expert area they do have, a friend of mine works in that area i asked him and he told me that thats the way torch works, but is really weird because you;re telling me that it does not happen to you, so i dont know anymore, and its not my plan sinsce its the same i had with the other phone i just switched the Sim to the torch, anyways i just resigned myself and live with it anyways thanks for all the support
    07-19-11 12:50 AM
    After switching a sim over to a new bb, you need to log into your carriers BIS page on your computer and activate the new pin. Afterwards resend your service books.

You might have done these, I don't know.

07-19-11 08:23 AM
    All of that is done! : / if not my phone wouldn't be having any type od data or not even been able to even stablish tethering connection throug the DM but don't worry u have been really supporting I just will use it like that I just won't mind about it anymore! :P that's the only thing I can do at the very end!

07-19-11 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD