Hi - not sure if anyone else has had this but I just received my 9800 yesterday and one of booklets states you can just migrate data / apps from your old phone to new phone, so I thought yeh that's what I want to do. My old phone was a Storm II.

So connected my 9800 to my PC and BB Desktop gave me this option to transfer all my data / apps that were compatible with my new device - NOTE, it even states that it will do this only for those that are compatible with my device.

All was going well it prompted me to connect my old phone, then connect my new phone. BUT after a minute or so of copying the data over it gave a critical error to do with the Facebook app I had installed and just rebooted my 9800.

BB Desktop saw that communication with the device had been lost and prompted me to retry, so I did after the device had booted. The transfer process then stopped.

The phone is fine but its either removed some apps that were previously there or there no longer visible. AppWorld is an example of this, it wasn't visible anywhere yet when I went and installed it again it prompted me to say did I want to replace my current version with the new one.

This has left me a little disappointed if I'd known it was going to do this I wouldn't have bothered and just done a selective restore from a backup - to get my emails, texts, saved msgs on the phone.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks - J.
    01-06-11 02:26 AM
    I do differently. I back up my phone then do a restore. Don't back up third party apps though just main memory. Apps can be re-downloaded through appworld.
    01-06-11 04:31 AM
    @OP: Are you referring to the Device Switch function in Desktop Manager, or was this something else?
    01-06-11 04:53 AM
    @thymaster - yes, that's what I've done in the past when going to a new BB device. Wish I'd done it this time.

@elite1 - yes, think that's what it was called. I just remember Desktop Manager recongnising it was a new device and prompting me that it could do a transfer from old to new for me.

I'm just concerned now that there might be other apps that are not visible and should be. On the whole it looks alright.

Julian.

Julian.
    01-06-11 05:01 AM
    The same thing happened to me when migrating from my 9500. I just re-downloaded the missing stuff and all was well.
    01-06-11 10:32 AM
    Yep, in the end after having to reinstall AppWorld I went through the list of apps it "new" I'd previously installed on my 9520 and reinstalled them.

I'm still a bit miffed that after spending a lot on money on this phone, my 5th BB in 4yrs that this happened and all I did was follow the instructions provided to the letter.

Don't get me wrong I'm still blown away with how good this phone is, the look, feel and new O/S is just awesome.

Julian.
    01-07-11 07:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD