When I plug my Torch 9800 into BlackBerry Desktop Software, it says that my memory is full. In an effort to free up space, have deleted most of my pictures, videos, and music, and the ONLY application I have is Pandora. But it still says Memory Full. Why?

The only thing I can think is that I have my Calendar setting so that it never deletes my calendar entires. I like to be able to look way back in time. Am I going to have to change that? Or is there something I am missing? It seems bizarre to me that all 3.7 GB of my device's memory is being taken up by my calendar.

Thank you for your help!
    03-15-13 09:43 PM
    What memory does it say is full?

You have 2 areas of memory on the 9800 (3 if you have an SD card too). 512mb of ram - this holds the OS, the apps you load, PIM data such as your calendar and contacts, and all your messages like texts, emails and app notifications that show up in "messages".

The second is the "media storage". The 4 GB built in memory card. That is where your photos and music go. This can be supplemented with an added microSD card up to 32 GB in capacity.

Somehow, I think it's the 512mb that's getting full as deleting photos and music would have no affect since they aren't stored there.

One thing to check - go to "Options" > "Device" > "Storage". The first "Application Storage" item tells you what's left of the 512mb device ram. The other is your built in media storage and SD card if you have one.

If ram is what's low, to try to see what is taking it up - assuming you did delete a bunch of apps, we need to see if PIM data and/or your stored messages are taking up a lot of space. Back in "Options" go to "Device and Status Information". While there, click the BB menu button and click "Database Sizes". This shows how much space your data types use. The very top has the total.

For me, messages is the biggest data hog - 3.5 mb out of a 5.5 mb database size. But I also regularly clear out old messages on my phone. My available ram tends to float around 235 mb. And I've got about 25 some-odd apps on my phone. They just aren't the big ones.

Hopefully, this helps you at least pin down the culprit.
    03-17-13 11:46 PM