I am wondering now just half a day after getting the Tourch why in the world I think this is an upgrade. I am actually finding myself annoyed with the new OS6 interface. The new OS6 GUI seems very very busy and the phone actually hurt my wrists after hold it for a while (damn thing is heavy). Am i just totally loosing it here.

I have a Bold 9000 that I absolutely love and used to convince my office to switch to Blackberryies a while back. It has always rocked most anything i throw at it and has always done email well. I will admit what it has done hasn't been much but that is becuase of low memory. Yea it needs a battery pull occasionally but that isn't that big of a deal.

When i got my bold with OS 4.6 on it the thing I liked so much was it's simplicty. That is also what appealed to my office. The simplicity and reliablity of the platform. With OS6 i am getting the feeling there are way to many things going on with the screen and that many things are only halfway thought out on either the trackpad side or touchscreen side.

Part of the issue maybe that for 12 days I had an ATT Captivate with Android 2.1. It clearly has some issues and pissed me off this morning with an email problem that caused me to go in and ask for the tourch. The capitivate is a great phone but clearly isn't super reliablie if email is your thing. Even with the Captivate though the touch screen enviroment was all well thought out and everything could be done from the interface. The gui wasn't as busy as OS6 either. You have your icons, menue at the bottom and then the notifications at the top. That was it.

I hate to say it but i am thinking about eating the restocking fee and returning the tourch and going back to my old bold 9000. The sad part is i don't think my annoyance is with the hardware though it is just a incremental step from the 9000 but more the OS complexity
    08-12-10 09:14 PM
    I am having a serious case of buyer's regret myself. I feel this is the storm all over again. Oakes with screen, app compatibility issues, etc. Ugh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 09:22 PM
    I say return it and use what works for you.
    08-12-10 09:22 PM
    I'm positive after a couple weeks using it I'll get used to it and will be ready to say goodbye to my 9000 permanently - will always miss the keyboard though.

You have 30 days to try the phone, don't give up on it on the first day. Spend a few weeks finding out if it's what you want or not.
    08-12-10 09:26 PM
    I'll say this, I didn't go get one today and I'm elgible for an upgrade on AT&T. Sticking with my Pre+ for the time being. I'm going to see how things develop with this phone. (I might change my mind tonight though and go get one tomorrow lol)
    08-12-10 09:29 PM
    i'm sorry but i have a different experience..
    maybe it's because i am coming from a BOLD 9000
    so for me.. this is really an upgrade both in hardware and software.
    I do agree that the UI is a bit confusing..
    i'll give it a week.. the learning curve week..
    BUT for sure, i won't be returning this.
    and i won't go back to my 9000 anymore.
    nor my iphone 3G
    Im with ya...Ive already decided to jump ship and stick with my 9700...two questions though....1: did you get it as an upgrade, and if so, when you take it back, will you still be under your NEW contract? I ask because Im most likely going to sell mine on ebay and pocket some cash rather than eat the restocking fee...unless they will void the new contract I just signed.
    Last edited by Average Joe; 08-12-10 at 09:32 PM.
    @averagejoe

If you return it your old contract gets reapplied automatically no issues there. You are correct though that you will have to eat the restocking fee.

08-12-10 09:32 PM
    See that is just it though. If i return the torch the options are step back to a2 year old phone with good email support or go Android. I still like my bold 9000 for what it does for me, It is a great phone and great with all the messageing i do. Or go to the captivate and just deal with somewhat buggy Corporate email support. It is really depressing to feel that the newest and supposidly greatest BB feels like a step down for me when my phone is 2 years old.

I know technically the Torch has some big upgrades, but i have a feeling the OS guys just didn't talk enough or something and so the touchscreen/trackpad expereince got fubar'd(that may be a bit harsh). Simplicity is important and i really feel BB missed the mark with OS6 in that reguards based on the tourch.

Haveing the captivate really screwed me up. I have seen how the touchscreen experience can be. There has to be a good median between the two, i am thinking os6 missed the mark though. The captivate is really an awesome phone when you can get passed android flackyness at times. Lol if i could get a BB email reliablity with that hardware i would be in heaven.
    08-12-10 09:34 PM
    Total opposite for me. It has me close to putting my i4 on
    eBay. I think you have to stop comparing it to other phones
    and only compare it to previous BlackBerry devices. It seems
    as though I'm enjoying it more not comparing it.

I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.
    08-12-10 09:35 PM
    Total opposite for me. It has me close to putting my i4 on
    eBay. I think you have to stop comparing it to other phones
    and only compare it to previous BlackBerry devices. It seems
    as though I'm enjoying it more not comparing it.

I'm definitely glad I made the purchase.
    08-12-10 09:36 PM
    Yea if it is within the first 30days they will go back to your old contract.
    08-12-10 09:37 PM
    Torch is awesome, nothing is going to be perfect first time around. I am completely satisfied and when new software updates come out and the ball gets rolling on OS 6 in the next few months you are going to go right back to the Torch.
    08-12-10 09:39 PM
    Duvi i think you completely missed my point. I was comparing it to my older BB 9000. I am not comparing hardware, just what i consider usability and ease of use

And though this seems like coming to a quick decision, it isn't something i do lightly. I mean i just tried out the captivate and had serious concerns with the andriod/all touchscreen platform with that phone. I never had the same negative vibe i am getting with this phone. What got me to return it was concern over email delivery and account data being lost on the phone. It happened twice this week, and that is what triggered me to return it. Pretty much everything else on the phone was awesome.
    08-12-10 09:42 PM
    Have you considered the 9700 as an alternative upgrade from the 9000?

08-12-10 09:48 PM
    LionLinesCEO

That is a very bold statement, and i would probably of said the same thing when my 9000 came out. Not so sure now. OS6 is getting allot of hype by all those people that want the social hub aspect and the web browser. That is fine, my point is that the os basic flow and functionality has gotten more complicated with it's only simplification the global search. I shouldn't have to search the phone for information that i could litterally get to with just a few keystrokes on my bold.
    08-12-10 09:48 PM
    The 9700 is certainly an option but i never liked the idea of getting a smaller keyboard. I was questioning that with the torch as well but it doesn't seem to bad, and at this point i wouldn't want the 9700, but the 9780 for the extra app memory, but then that will have OS6 and ben in the same busy boat as the torch.
    08-12-10 09:51 PM
    LionLinesCEO

That is a very bold statement, and i would probably of said the same thing when my 9000 came out. Not so sure now. OS6 is getting allot of hype by all those people that want the social hub aspect and the web browser. That is fine, my point is that the os basic flow and functionality has gotten more complicated with it's only simplification the global search. I shouldn't have to search the phone for information that i could litterally get to with just a few keystrokes on my bold.
    I know this is for LionLine CEO but after I got everything moved around the way I like it I love OS 6 and it only took me like 5 minutes
    08-12-10 09:53 PM
    Well, I at times feel like I need to go back to my 9700, but the the torch in my opinion has a lot of potential and I just need to get use to it.
    I would have appreciated a better screen, faster transitions, and lighter, cuz its kind of heavy.
    I'm used to just holding the 9700 with one hand, now that has changed.
    But I still have high hopes for this phone and I think it will be good.

08-12-10 09:58 PM
    give it a few days and let us know if you feel the same then there's always that learning curve and like foreverup said customize your stuff, move it around to your liking
    08-12-10 10:01 PM
    I am coming from the Bold 9000 and I am happy with this unit. It is a learning curve using the touchscreen but I like the torch. I can see where a faster processor would be great but the extra second or two is something I can live with for now. I have loaded more software on than I had used with the 9000 and so far i have not had any of the battery pull issues that were constant with the 9000.
    08-12-10 10:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD