Ok so I recently got a torch and a 2 year plan. But the new line of blackberrys are coming soon. Let's say by christmas, I want a torch 2, will I just have to pay for the new phone or do I have to alter my plan moneywise some way???....psttt...I'm on at&t

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-11 08:14 PM
    I think it needs to be a year or better to qualify for the upgrade, but I could be mistaken.

been on att for years... always wait a full year before thinking upgrade and always qualified for it. I do not know what all the criteria is, though.

I'm sure you can call (if you call from your cell, you can bypass the 3rd degree of questions about who you are) and ask them the criteria (might be length of service, payments on time, length of contract, or combination)
    04-10-11 08:44 PM
    If you call *639# it'll send you an eligibility text with your upgrade date
    04-10-11 09:18 PM
    Good to know, thanks!

04-10-11 11:25 PM
    Hi everyone,i was just browsing online and found this forum is so interesting,i can read so many helpful posts here! I hope i can get to know some nice persons here.Wish you good luck every day!
    04-11-11 02:28 AM
    Ive been on ATT since before it was ATT(back when it was cell one). Needless to say it's been a long time, and I have always had to wait my full 2 years to upgrade a line. I was 2 months out on an upgrade and they wouldn't allow me to upgrade early, go figure.
    04-11-11 06:56 AM
    Wow that's cool. I knew about the *data# and *pay# but not that one lol. Thanks!

04-11-11 08:07 AM
    Not sure about AT&T, but I know roger offer early upgrade at a fee, like when I upgraded my 8900 to 9800, I had to pay 200$ for an early upgrade, instead of 599$ for the phone.
    04-11-11 08:23 AM
    I just joined AT&T and it says I can upgrade in 11-2012 so a year and a half it seems....dang! Long time to wait for Torch 2 I'm happy with my Torch though but may look into an early upgrade if they have it.
    04-11-11 08:49 AM
    I've been with att for 12 yrs. Back n the day it was cingular. They have always made me wait 2 yrs. Everytime I upgraded early I had to pay full value for the phone or get a refurbished for a lot less.

04-11-11 09:08 AM
    I upgraded early to get the Torch. You can do this, but there is a fee, and that fee varies (?) depending on how close you are to your date to upgrade. Mine was $125.

04-11-11 09:09 AM
    i just upgraded to the torch about a month or 6 weeks ago... (was on bold for 1 1/2 years prior and had upgraded then for free from the dumb phone i was using at the time - samsung, I believe) and have been with ATT since the Cingular days...

After only 6 weeks, I just did the *639# thingy and it says I'm eligible for an upgrade 7-12, which would be only 16 or 17 months - even at 18 that's only a year and a half, which is as long as i had the bold.

again, i think other reasons are factored in and not strictly limimted to the 2 year contract.
    04-11-11 09:09 AM
    It's between 18-22 months for an upgrade. Depends ultimately on how much $$ they make from you and your payment history, time with them. It's bs really. If you wait 22 months, you can do an upgrade through amazon or wirefly and pay a lot less. I payed $70 through amazon last year (January) for my 9700. Then payed for my Torch through ATT 200. Amazon didn't have the torch then. It was for 2 separate lines but both of them were at 22 months. I would say wait for the 22 months and go with amazon or wirefly. It's way cheaper than going through ATT itself.
    04-11-11 09:15 AM
    It's between 18-22 months for an upgrade. Depends ultimately on how much $$ they make from you and your payment history, time with them. It's bs really. If you wait 22 months, you can do an upgrade through amazon or wirefly and pay a lot less. I payed $70 through amazon last year (January) for my 9700. Then payed for my Torch through ATT 200. Amazon didn't have the torch then. It was for 2 separate lines but both of them were at 22 months. I would say wait for the 22 months and go with amazon or wirefly. It's way cheaper than going through ATT itself.
    only problem with upgrading through an online retailer(other then ATT itself), if your on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, that plan is now null in void. I have called amazon and asked them about this for a friend(since amazon was .01$ for the torch when ATT was still 200).
    04-11-11 10:04 AM
    only problem with upgrading through an online retailer(other then ATT itself), if your on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, that plan is now null in void. I have called amazon and asked them about this for a friend(since amazon was .01$ for the torch when ATT was still 200).

Really? I wasn't aware of this. Tough one. I don't have the unlimited but if I did it would be something to consider. Even if you do it through like walmart or so?
    04-11-11 11:51 AM
    I'm upgrade eligible in June-2012, which is 18 months from my contract start date.

On AT&T, If you pay at least $100 a month for at least one line on your account, You'll be upgrade eligible in 16-18 months. Everyone else must wait the full 22 months, and customers back from the days of Cingular, must also wait the full 22 months, customers with unlimited plans can upgrade early, but must surrender their unlimited data in favour of a DataPlus (250MB) or DataPro (2GB) tariff, otherwise you'll need to wait the full 22 months.
    Only problem with upgrading through an online retailer(other then ATT itself), if your on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, that plan is now null in void. I have called amazon and asked them about this for a friend(since amazon was .01$ for the torch when ATT was still 200).
    Really? I wasn't aware of this. Tough one. I don't have the unlimited but if I did it would be something to consider. Even if you do it through like walmart or so?
    Yep. Even through Walmart I've found (from others) that they've had to switch data plans from unlimited to DataPlus/Pro.
    04-11-11 12:40 PM
    So I tried the 3 digit number someone posted earlier and I'm not sure I trust it. It said I was eligible for an upgrade now but since I just upgraded in january I thought itd be best to call at&t. I am not eligible for an upgrade for another 19 months. So that 3 digit # is sometimes a load of bs.

04-11-11 12:52 PM
    So I tried the 3 digit number someone posted earlier and I'm not sure I trust it. It said I was eligible for an upgrade now but since I just upgraded in january I thought itd be best to call at&t. I am not eligible for an upgrade for another 19 months. So that 3 digit # is sometimes a load of bs.

*639# (or *NEW#) is going to tell you exactly the same thing they'll see in store, it was actually introduced when Apple let 3GS customers upgrade early to the iPhone 4, so AT&T customer care didn't get so bombarded.

I'm guessing there must be some sort of delay with information being passed to the service, but 3 to 4 months seems a bit long. I'm guessing it's accurate for most, but shouldn't be trusted as a "end all, go to solution" by any means, apply the same policy for accuracy in regards to what is told to customers for the *MIN# and *DATA# codes to *NEW#.
    04-11-11 12:58 PM
    That's true. My data is usually wrong when I check it to.

04-11-11 01:03 PM
    xDAKx: I just did an early upgrade to a Torch and I kept my unlimited plan. Maybe this may be one of those things that is dependent on what your bill is, payment history, etc?
    04-11-11 02:14 PM
    Wow that's cool. I knew about the *data# and *pay# but not that one lol. Thanks!

Yeah its *NEW#
    04-11-11 02:26 PM
    xDAKx: I just did an early upgrade to a Torch and I kept my unlimited plan. Maybe this may be one of those things that is dependent on what your bill is, payment history, etc?
    I was told by one AT&T rep that regardless of payment history, bill amount and duration of being a customer, that you'd have to change plans for an early upgrade, however this wasn't my "normal" rep who told me this, Tonight I'm planning on making a quick trip by the store again, so if one of my "normal" rep(s) are there, I'll ask him or her and report back.

I'm wondering if this may really only be a third party/authorised reseller condition, in regards to having to give up an unlimited tariff upon an early upgrade, as it wouldn't surprise me seeing as how sometimes they offer cheaper devices to try and coax customers away from corporate retail to stay afloat.
    04-11-11 02:28 PM
    I was also told by my guy at the at&t store that once you swapped to a smartphone you couldn't keep your unlimited plan. You had to use their 2gb plan. It didn't matter if you've had unlimited for years you'd have to drop it if you wanted your data on your phone to work.

04-11-11 03:07 PM
    On AT&T, customers back from the days of Cingular, must also wait the full 22 months.
    I'm from (way, way back) cingular and find this statement not to be true for me.
    i've only waited 16-17 months each time i upgrade...

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules...
    04-11-11 04:57 PM
    .........will I just have to pay for the new phone or do I have to alter my plan moneywise some way???....psttt...I'm on at&t
    The only correct answer is "It Depends". It depends on whether or not you are on a "consumer" plan or if your phone was purchased under a business program, whether you've been a customer since they were Cellular One, Cingular or AT&T, your rate plan, and the time of the month.

AT&T is like everyone else, they make it as confusing as possible. The only way to know for sure is to call them five times and then average out the answers.
    04-11-11 05:14 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD