Should we give up all hope of Dakota ever coming out and grab the slider? Or, wait it out for Dakota and see if it ever comes/exists anymore? Does anyone have any information that can confirm dakota is still in development? Or is this true: magnum -> dakota -> talledaga. May God have mercy and please have the dakota still coming.
    03-18-10 08:37 PM
    i also want to know what is rim trying to do with this. i am waiting on my next upgrade. one thing for sure to understand is the size of the blackberry slider. the slider is definitely taking on the 9700 form factor. a while back, dakota was rumored to be bold 9000 form factor. but as we learned on recent cb podcasts, the dakota was going to take on that 9700 form factor. so i believe that is the first clue of dakota fruiting into the slider. the dakota was rumored to be a hybrid touchscreen keyboard device with a trackpad. those features are evident on the blackberry slider. the dakota was going to be the new flagship device for rim. and well well the blackberry slider is said to be just that. so all signs point to the dakota just being a codename for the new blackberry slider aka talledaga aka mr.t. its hard to believe what a fiasco rim has played. but the evidence proves that all in all the dakota is the blackberry slider.
    03-18-10 11:16 PM
    I'm extremely disappointed. RIM please...PLEASE put out a berry with the same great Bold 9000 keyboard and size. No more mini-berrys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 11:23 PM
    As off today there are 2 different phones being made still; Dakota & Talladega. Talladega is not the same thing as a Dakota.
    03-19-10 12:05 AM
    I'm extremely disappointed. RIM please...PLEASE put out a berry with the same great Bold 9000 keyboard and size. No more mini-berrys!

+1
    going to second that
    03-19-10 12:14 AM
    As off today there are 2 different phones being made still; Dakota & Talladega. Talladega is not the same thing as a Dakota.
    Go on... we know you have more to tell.
    03-19-10 04:23 AM
    Go on... we know you have more to tell.
    Yes please do tell

03-19-10 05:57 AM
    Dakota is still scheduled for a 3Q release. Dakota and Talledega are two different devices in two different classes.
    03-19-10 07:16 AM
    Talledega is more in the Curve/Storm category, Dakota is in the Bold category as a comparison.

03-19-10 07:43 AM
    So is the Dakota still essentially just a Bold with a touchscreen (and no trackpad/trackball)?
    03-19-10 11:32 AM
    i still don't get the point of a touchscreen "bold" like device. the whole purpose of a touchscreen (from my perspective) is to allow a larger display area by removing the buttons. hence the need for a touchscreen since there is no room for the buttons.

what is the purpose or benefit of having a touchscreen in the same form factor and screen size as a "bold"? it just doesn't make much sense to me.
    03-19-10 12:26 PM
    what is the purpose or benefit of having a touchscreen in the same form factor and screen size as a "bold"? it just doesn't make much sense to me.
    Because its "cool"
    03-19-10 12:42 PM
    Because its "cool"
    is "cool" even in rim's vocabulary? wouldn't think so by the way they keep rebadging the same old phone as a new device.
    03-19-10 03:21 PM
    i still don't get the point of a touchscreen "bold" like device. the whole purpose of a touchscreen (from my perspective) is to allow a larger display area by removing the buttons. hence the need for a touchscreen since there is no room for the buttons.

Big screen - better for browsing. Real keyboard - better for typing. Best of both worlds.
    03-19-10 05:10 PM
    i think the BB icon layout lends itself to a touchscreen very well. plus i bet it would be easier to dial from a touchscreen then the little number keys we get. i always wanted a non slider touch screen w/ keyboard. especially if it had the larger screen from that old 7 series bb
    03-19-10 08:33 PM
    Big screen - better for browsing. Real keyboard - better for typing. Best of both worlds.
    how much bigger is the screen anyway? doesn't seem like it would be as big as the slider or the storm.

a bold with a touchscreen...doesn't seem like you're really gaining much imo...without the larger screen real estate it seems like more of a novelty than anything else rim has done. a touchscreen just for the sake of having a touchscreen just doesn't add up to me. :\
    03-19-10 08:54 PM
    how much bigger is the screen anyway? doesn't seem like it would be as big as the slider or the storm.

a bold with a touchscreen...doesn't seem like you're really gaining much imo...without the larger screen real estate it seems like more of a novelty than anything else rim has done. a touchscreen just for the sake of having a touchscreen just doesn't add up to me. :\
    Touchscreen eliminates the use of a touchpad for opening and closing apps.
    03-19-10 09:06 PM
    if dakota still exists, im happy. but i want to know how it is going to be released in Q3, if we haven't had any news about it.
    03-19-10 09:44 PM

agreed..

imo the slider touch screen represents the best possibility of the best of both worlds actually coming true...
    03-20-10 03:00 PM
    agreed..

imo the slider touch screen represents the best possibility of the best of both worlds actually coming true...

It has been proven over and over again that actual keyboards are faster and more accutate for typing. Yes there are always people thay say they can type faster on their storm or iphone then on a 9700, etc. The majority are not like this though. So for people who want the fastest and most accurate typing experience along with a big screen to see all of this want the dakota. Why it touch screen thown in? For times when you want to do things that aren't typing and do them fast.
    03-20-10 04:10 PM
    dakota would be great, a bold with a touchscreen is perfect. I used to have a treo 755 and that phone worked out real well. buttons and qwerty keyboard makes the phone easy to navigate without having to use the touch screen, but if you wanted to you could still use the touch screen. Best of both worlds.
    03-21-10 06:57 PM
    All things being equal, I'd go for the Dakota over the Talladega. But I would really love to have a larger screen than I currently have on my 9000. My eyes aren't what they used to be.
    03-22-10 07:27 AM
    All things being equal, I'd go for the Dakota over the Talladega. But I would really love to have a larger screen than I currently have on my 9000. My eyes aren't what they used to be.
    I think most people want dakota rather then talledega. RIM is probably doing talledega first because they don't have anything atall in the slider market, while they do already have candy bar style phones out.

If the phones screen size is increased about 1/3 over the size of a 9000's it would be good. Decreasing the height of the call/end/back button strip along with the moving the keyboard down a bit and bumping the screen up a bit (so there is less space between screen and ear speaker) would make this possible. Having the keyboard begin right at the bottom of the device I dont think would be a problem. Pretend the keyboard begins at the bottom and try typing on your device. It wouldnt be too low or hard.
    03-22-10 09:27 AM
    i doubt the dakota screen size will be changed at all vs a traditional bold. it would have to be significantly bigger to be of any additional benefit imo. the dakota just doesn't seem like a good idea. many in the smart phone community will probably be saying the same thing if rim decides to release it...seems pointless. a trackpad is more accurate anyway.
    03-22-10 10:27 AM
    i doubt the dakota screen size will be changed at all vs a traditional bold. it would have to be significantly bigger to be of any additional benefit imo. the dakota just doesn't seem like a good idea. many in the smart phone community will probably be saying the same thing if rim decides to release it...seems pointless. a trackpad is more accurate anyway.
    Its supposed to have a trackpad as well. Thats why magnum was switched to Dakota. Magnum did not have a trackpad, dakota does. Candybar form factor, touch screen, trackpad
    03-22-10 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD