I had the Bold 9700 and IT DIED (RIP)! I lost everything. I upgraded to the Torch 9800 and not sure yet if I like it the same or not. Question is: Is there a way to type all of my contacts into my laptop and then sync them to my BB that way I will always have a back up list somewhere? Please Help!
    11-30-10 10:03 AM
    You can put them in Outlook or Microsoft mail and then sync them using Desktop Manager. You should also make it a practice to backup your phone regularly just in case something happens.
    11-30-10 10:05 AM
    Best option is to put them all in your phone, then use the desktop manager to do a backup of the device. You can while in the backup options select "selective" and just chose your address book.
    11-30-10 10:06 AM
    All you have to do is use Desktop Manager to backup your phone once in awhile...it saves all data and settings. If you have done it with your 9700 it would be very simple to move all the contacts and other data to your new 9800.

Desktop Manager will also sync all of your contacts/calendar etc. with Microsoft Outlook.
    11-30-10 10:06 AM
    There are plenty of solutions for this, including using Desktop Manager as suggested by a few folks here.

Verizon, for example, offers a "backup assistant" app that syncs your contacts to an online database, that you can view online and transfer to new devices if needed. Also, if you use Gmail, you can sync your contacts to your online account. I find solutions like this even easier than using DM because they will backup your information automatically and more frequently, so you don't even have to do anything once you set it up.
    11-30-10 10:20 AM
    So outlook will let me type the info in and then sync. I like to have addresses and emails along with the cell numbers in my phone. And as with everyone I can type on the computer a lot faster than on the cell. Thanks everyone!
    11-30-10 10:20 AM
    Yes it will sync contacts with addresses and emails. With almost everything you type into outlook address book will be synced to your blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 10:22 AM
    A great option (as long as your not paranoid) is to use Google Sync for a backup of your contacts. This stores them on a Google server (cloud perhaps?) and you can then retrieve them anytime on any device..Blackberry or other. It also avoids having ALL your contacts left on a hardrive which always has the potential to be wiped or lost somehow.
    11-30-10 10:26 AM
    A great option (as long as your not paranoid) is to use Google Sync for a backup of your contacts. This stores them on a Google server (cloud perhaps?) and you can then retrieve them anytime on any device..Blackberry or other. It also avoids having ALL your contacts left on a hardrive which always has the potential to be wiped or lost somehow.
    I'm not a fan of Google Sync but I know many are. What I do is have my backup folder in my Dropbox. That way, every time my device is backed up, it's saved to my "Dropbox cloud" and my home/work PCs + my laptop.
    11-30-10 11:44 AM
    My contacts are synced with my Gmail account using BIS, works perfectly for me. Whenever I upgrade the os on the phone I have no contacts when it first boots up then over the next few minutes they all appear as if by magic.
    11-30-10 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD