Is there anyway to lock the screen during a call. Its really becoming a problem when the mute and hold buttons go on and off during phone calls. Hope theres a way to do it.
    08-14-10 01:18 PM
    I also am trying to figure out a way to do this. If I'm not accidentally pressing the mute button with my cheek, then I'm pressing the speaker button by mistake.
    08-14-10 04:53 PM
    Is there anyway to lock the screen during a call. Its really becoming a problem when the mute and hold buttons go on and off during phone calls. Hope theres a way to do it.
    I also am trying to figure out a way to do this. If I'm not accidentally pressing the mute button with my cheek, then I'm pressing the speaker button by mistake.
    That's rather weird and rare, because there is a proximity sensor built in. Once you hold the phone near your face, the screen will be turned off.
    08-14-10 04:55 PM
    I got my 9800 yesterday as a very early upgrade to the 9700 and didn't have a problem with it until this morning. Since that time, each time I use the phone, I either activate the speakerphone or the mute key. On my most recent call, I thought someone on the other end of the line had a child playing with one of their other phones in the house because it sounded like someone was pressing buttons on the phone. Well, it ended up being me. Somehow, my cheek was pressing a bunch of numbers from the dial pad which had, as some point, appeared on the screen.
    08-14-10 07:10 PM

My proximity sensor seems to work fine so haven't experienced the issue.....but when you're on a call you could click the home screen icon so you wouldn't activate the mute or hold function.... just a thought
    08-14-10 08:21 PM
    I got my 9800 yesterday as a very early upgrade to the 9700 and didn't have a problem with it until this morning. Since that time, each time I use the phone, I either activate the speakerphone or the mute key. On my most recent call, I thought someone on the other end of the line had a child playing with one of their other phones in the house because it sounded like someone was pressing buttons on the phone. Well, it ended up being me. Somehow, my cheek was pressing a bunch of numbers from the dial pad which had, as some point, appeared on the screen.
    Need to reboot!

Yeah you will see issues throughout the day but most of the time you can reboot and it will just work fine.
    08-14-10 08:42 PM
    Hmmm. I tried your suggestion, and ended up activating things there too. After one particular call, I ended up on the bluetooth settings screen. I had to reset my bluetooth options. LOL! Anyway, I think I have the answer I need in learning of the proximity sensor and will make a visit to the AT&T store tomorrow. I was just afraid that this was how the phone worked. Maybe I just need a new 9800. I have my beloved 9700 to go back to if needed, but since I spent a good deal of money on the 9800, I want to be able to use it.
    08-14-10 08:44 PM
    dwadwa - Just saw your post. I will try a reboot right now.
    08-14-10 08:45 PM
    Reboot was successful. I feel like an ***** for not thinking of that sooner. My first response to someone having phone issues is always, "Did you pull the battery?" I guess I was so excited about my new toy and trying to personalize it, customize it, and learn all its features that I was assuming it was in one of the settings for something that I hadn't learned yet.
    08-14-10 08:55 PM
    Wow. I guess the word i-d-i-o-t isn't allowed here.
    08-14-10 08:56 PM
    Reboot was successful. I feel like an ***** for not thinking of that sooner. My first response to someone having phone issues is always, "Did you pull the battery?" I guess I was so excited about my new toy and trying to personalize it, customize it, and learn all its features that I was assuming it was in one of the settings for something that I hadn't learned yet.
    Wow. I guess the word i-d-i-o-t isn't allowed here.
    Of course you are NOT.

LOL...

I mean. After using 9700 or 9000 on OS 5.0. Who would really think about doing reboot as often as we used to?

I haven't rebooted my 9000 in like one month or so?
    08-14-10 09:09 PM
    Of course you are NOT.

LOL...

I mean. After using 9700 or 9000 on OS 5.0. Who would really think about doing reboot as often as we used to?

I haven't rebooted my 9000 in like one month or so?

Ahh yes.... the universal step of rebooting... lol
    08-14-10 09:18 PM
    You probably have a screen protector or privacy screen on your Torch. Its interferring with the proximity sensor. Take it off. You'll find it'll work just fine. Mine did.
    08-19-10 11:11 AM
    I'm sure the screen protector is the issue on mine, as this only started happening after i put it on.
    Does anyone know of one that doesnt cause this issue? I bougtht the privacy one from AT&T. I would rather not have my screen get scratched up.
    10-27-10 07:45 PM
    I'm sure the screen protector is the issue on mine, as this only started happening after i put it on.
    Does anyone know of one that doesnt cause this issue? I bougtht the privacy one from AT&T. I would rather not have my screen get scratched up.
    Just cut the protector so it doesn't cover the sensor.
    10-27-10 10:13 PM
    I am using invisible shield and no problems. Didn't make a difference in the touch screen or sensor!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-10 01:02 AM
    I had a problem too at first, I have long hair and tend to hold the phone against my hair not my ear. It seems to affect the proximity sensor. I got the StormSlider app and it works great. Locks when I'm on the phone and I don't have to worry about where my hair is, and other features too (like addressing the too-sensitive unlock button so it doesn't unlock in your pocket). Has a slide unlock with cool blackberry logo on the screen, looks like it is original. Maybe it should be.
    BBKimkel likes this.
    11-11-10 07:59 PM
    Get a hole puncher and punch out the area near the led
    11-11-10 08:01 PM
    ppl this problem was making me crazy...but i learnt how to use the proximity sensor how i should and now its pretty much fine... still i am shifting the phone and not keepin it touched to my face/ear all the time...and for this i got an application stormslider and its all just fine now.
    i wonder why most of the app in bb are for money? WTF, on android and iphone there is nothing like that... i need some camera app for my torch.
    talk in peace
    11-24-10 05:34 PM
    Thank God for Crackberry! this was really beginning to annoy me! Thanks for the Stormslider tip cjh818
    06-23-11 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD