Hey guys, haven't posted here in a long time ... Anyways, I've had quite a few BlackBerries, most recently the Bold 9000, followed by the 9700 ... Well, today on Craig's List I saw a "lightly used" Torch 9800 for sale for $150 ... I figured this was a pretty decent price and decided to jump at it. So now I'm a proud new owner of this beautiful device. Definitely the first time playing around with OS 6 and still trying to get the hang of it. Since it is "lightly" used there are some very minor imperfections, but nothing bad .. the front bezel has two scratches on it, and honestly that's the only cosmetic imperfection. So I'm thinking of hitting up Amazon for a new bezel which will prob run me about 15 bucks or so? And then it'll look good as mint again. Also, whenever the backlight is on, I noticed that the green "send" button and the BlackBerry menu button don't light up. Only the back button and red "end" button lights up. Do you think this is an issue that can be fixed? I guess that's the only operational imperfection I've found (so far).

Anyways .. With those two imperfections, and it being pretty nice everywhere else, I'm thinking it was well worth 150. It's hard to find many newer BlackBerries for that. So just wanted to say hello. Any tips with this new (to me) device?
    11-20-11 10:25 PM
    They sold you that for $150? Not bad. Mine would be worth...$20. I've dropped it so much. Tough little thing.

You've got a slightly used Torch.

Tips:

1.) Try out build 6.0.0.668 on your Torch. Battery life is pretty good on it. That and .600 is, too.

2.) Install the Facebook app. Add me on BBM if ya wanna talk sometime?

3.) Theme it!

4.) Really, OS 6 is old now. (OS 7 being the current.) But, there are some apps I'd recommend for you to use.

* Pix Twix - awesome photo effect editor.
    * Opera Mini - excellent mobile browser. Now with pinch-to-zoom support.
    * Poynt - c'mon, who needs to search for a movie? Look at the gasoline prices? People? Poynt can help you with that.
    * Pandora - music, man. Music.
    * Navita Translator - for those moments someone messages you in a foreign language you don't know.
    * Kobo - wanna read ebooks? Purchase em on Kobo!
    * Amazon Kindle ereader - same as kobo.
    * FML (app) - We all love to read America's funny misfortunes.
    *BlackBerry Product - Handy for backing up contacts, memos, etc.
    *BlackBerry Traffic - You won't believe how many times this app has saved my arse from getting lost.
    *DailyHoroscope - Just because.

Those are just a few. I've got more.
    Anyway, if you wanna chat sometime, hit up the pin!
    PIN: 275A10FC

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-11 12:31 AM
    I meant "Protect", not "Product".

11-21-11 12:34 AM
    Nice score! But I would watch the bezel disassembly video on youtube, it looks scary
    11-21-11 01:38 AM
    4.) Really, OS 6 is old now. (OS 7 being the current.)
    Moot point since you can't put OS 7 on the 9800 anyway. So it's technically not "current" for our particular Torch.

11-21-11 11:22 AM
    Nice score! But I would watch the bezel disassembly video on youtube, it looks scary
    Top metal bezel (slider) is not fun, main body plastic bezel is. Just go slow and follow a good youtube tutorial. Personally I'm not a fan of parts that need to be reglued to be reassembled...I stick with the stuff that uses screws!
    11-21-11 01:36 PM
    Top metal bezel (slider) is not fun, main body plastic bezel is. Just go slow and follow a good youtube tutorial. Personally I'm not a fan of parts that need to be reglued to be reassembled...I stick with the stuff that uses screws!
    Yes, lol, I looked up the YouTube video for the disassembly and wow lol .. I didn't think it would be that hard because I would always take apart and customize my 9000 and 9700, but I didn't take into account the difficulty of a slider. In which case, I may just get like a gloss black snap on case for the front just to cover those scuffs. The keyboard is slightly chipped on a few letters, so I may replace that (that seems easy to do).

Also, is there a way to turn off the auto rotate to landscape? I prefer portrait 100% of the time, and it turns so easily to landscape ...
    11-21-11 02:35 PM
    Also, is there a way to turn off the auto rotate to landscape? I prefer portrait 100% of the time, and it turns so easily to landscape ...
    Unfortunately, there isn't any way which you can turn off the auto rotate I think.. What I would do is keep the slider open if I will be in a position which can rotate easily (ie. lying down)
    11-21-11 08:02 PM
    Congrats on the score my friend! I got mine of Craigslist too, mine was 200 dollars and an old Nintendo Wii that was collecting dust. Craigslist can be pretty good.

Good luck with the bezel fix.
    11-21-11 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD