Hi everyone, just bought the Torch yesterday coming from iPhone 3GS. We will see how long I last with the BB, there are a few things bugging me.

Firstly, when I'm browsing the web (happens w other apps as well) and want to quit, I press the red end call button. More than 70% of the time the keys are either unresponsive, or it takes almost 30 seconds to quit the browser after not hitting end again.

Secondly, say I'm browsing the web again, and I get a (visual) notification (fb, text, bbm, email..) the whole operating software freezes up and doesnt let me use the touch screen or hard buttons. It takes around 15 seconds for it to figure itself out, vibrate, then sound the alert, way after the notification has shown up in the status bar. I've tried 2 battery pulls which haven't helped.

Thirdly, email. Why does email that's read on my blackberry not get marked as read on my computer (gmail)? I can get up to 100 emails a day, which I later have to mark as read on gmail. Hopefully there's a option to mark read on gmail what was read on my BB.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Should I go into ATT for an exchange?
    09-08-10 11:25 AM
    I would try upgrading to the leaked .214 OS as it may solve the first two issues. As for the last issue, I think it may be a problem with how the gmail is sent to the blackberry. I'm pretty sure with my AOL account it marks them read in both places but I'm not near a computer to confirm. Not sure if an OS update will solve that issue, but at least it might make the phone use more enjoyable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 12:21 PM
    I would try upgrading to the leaked .214 OS as it may solve the first two issues. As for the last issue, I think it may be a problem with how the gmail is sent to the blackberry. I'm pretty sure with my AOL account it marks them read in both places but I'm not near a computer to confirm. Not sure if an OS update will solve that issue, but at least it might make the phone use more enjoyable.

How do I get the leaked .214 OS?
    09-08-10 12:38 PM
    If you have to ask, you probably should not worry about a leaked OS just yet.

As for your first issue, it is not normal nor should it be acceptable. BTW, Welcome to the world of multitasking! Hitting the Red End Call Button does NOT shut down the browser, but instead puts it into the background where it continues running. Normally this is not a problem, but if you have a heavily scripted webpage up it could possibly cause slowdowns.

Where possible, you should shut down the browser by Holding down the Escape key (next to the Red End Call button), or going to the menu and choosing Close. Also, you may want to try holding down the menu key (for 3-4 seconds) and you will see the Switch Application menu where you can see what is running.
    09-08-10 05:22 PM
    The link I used to get it was taken down. You will have to see if someone can send you a mirror, or reupload it for you. The leaked version is much better than the stock .141 imo too, so it is worth finding to install.

09-08-10 05:25 PM
    If you have to ask, you probably should not worry about a leaked OS just yet.

As for your first issue, it is not normal nor should it be acceptable. BTW, Welcome to the world of multitasking! Hitting the Red End Call Button does NOT shut down the browser, but instead puts it into the background where it continues running. Normally this is not a problem, but if you have a heavily scripted webpage up it could possibly cause slowdowns.

Where possible, you should shut down the browser by Holding down the Escape key (next to the Red End Call button), or going to the menu and choosing Close. Also, you may want to try holding down the menu key (for 3-4 seconds) and you will see the Switch Application menu where you can see what is running.
    Wow, that worked. I held down the red end key and it closed right away. I wish I didn't have to, but its good to know now. When I hold down the return key, it gives me the option to close all tabs, effectively ending it from running in the background, correct? Is it possible to end ALL apps that are running in the background?
    09-08-10 05:43 PM
    Yes, you have it right that essentially stops it from running in the background. Technically it is still there, but has freed up most resources and unloaded any pages etc..

No, you cannot stop ALL apps from running in the background. Some of them will always be running, but the well behaved ones don't cause a problem or consume many resources.
    09-09-10 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD