hi,

i love torch but there's only 1 problem that irritates me.
    as it is a touch screen, after i answer a call, sometimes my ear or my face will press onto the screen and it will mute or activate the speaker, it happens all the time! cant even talk on the phone properly

is there any apps that i can lock the screen during a call?

thanks alot.
    03-31-11 02:41 AM
    I had the same problem, it was terrible. You can press the 'lock' button at the top, but you'll likely bump the hyper-sensitive button during a call and inadvertently unlock the screen. (Why did you do this, RIM?! It's not a good key lock if the most sensitive and exposed key unlocks the phone!)

I bought an app called 'Storm Slider' that locks the screen when you answer a call with an iPhone-like slider. It works, but has a few irritating bugs which I have no hope will ever be fixed (the developer appears to have vanished). It does the job well enough for me, and I haven't felt the need to look for alternatives.

I've heard good things about "Wheel Lock", but I don't know if it will auto-lock the call screen.

There's another popular app called "Pattern Lock" that I know will let you lock the call screen, but I haven't tried it out.
    03-31-11 05:04 AM
    the proximity sensor is located on the right of the flashing LED (not the flash for the camera) so as soon as your ear is close to that point it will close your screen.

try to call your voice mail and try it with your finger, and then try to put your ear close to that point and you shouldn't have any problem.

but yeah you can still lock the phone.

recompile - about the hyper sensitive button (that lock button) how can you press that button when you are on call ? you don't hold your phone by the side ? I know when you put it in a holster or in your pocket it's super sensitive (thats why those lock apps) but while in a call ?
    azzir.bb likes this.
    03-31-11 06:37 AM
    The proximity sensor should turn the screen off when in a call and placed on your ear. Just as AcADIen has stated, make a call somewhere you know no one will answer(like your voicemail), and place your finger over the entire top of the phone covering the ear speaker(the actual sensor is next to the led and can be seen if using a white phone). If the screen does not "Black Out" then you either have a screen protector(the AT&T privacy protector does this) blocking it or a defective sensor.

My best guess would be your probably not placing the phone tight enough to your ear to activate the sensor.
    03-31-11 06:52 AM
    If you have a screen protector it can make the proximity sensor not work properly. I have a few friends that also have Torches that have the same problem. Three of us have no screen protector and have no problems during calls. The other three have screen protectors and complain of their ears hitting speakerphone or whatever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-11 08:06 AM
    If you have a screen protector it can make the proximity sensor not work properly. I have a few friends that also have Torches that have the same problem. Three of us have no screen protector and have no problems during calls. The other three have screen protectors and complain of their ears hitting speakerphone or whatever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have seen this happen before. it is most like the screen protector causing interference with the prox sensor...

I use a ZAGG invisibleSHIELD screen protector, and it does not cause any call problems...

alternatively, i have seen some who will punch a small hole in the screen protector over the prox sensor, as to eliminate the interference...

if you have a white torch, then you can see the prox sensor, it is right next to the notification LED (second black dot to the right of the earpiece speaker)

if you don't have a white torch, you can google a picture of it to see exactally where the prox sensor is, or if you are in an extremely dark room, you can see a faint blinking red light where it is on the black torch...
    03-31-11 09:06 AM
    +1 for the screen protector. I bought a screen protector from the AT&T store at the same time I bought my phone, but covered the proximity sensor so the screen would not black out when on the phone. I took the protector off and problem solved! I then purchased a new screen protector from Clarivue & it does not cover the sensor so it is perfect. If you have no screen protector on the phone & it still happens, then something else is going on.
    03-31-11 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD