Ignore him. He's trolling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 11:03 PM
    thanks for the heads up. i'm getting tired and should get off the site for a bit. phone battery died and i switched to the computer. i think i have a problem!
    08-15-10 11:18 PM
    I agree with you, although I would have to say most of those apps you should not thank appple for, you should be thanking the fanboys of the iPooped for.

One thing you failed to mention is that when you have an iPooped, you have to pay 20.00 a month just to have one. That's not for any service thats just to say you have an iPooped
    Well the Torch and iPhone and other smartphones on AT&T have the same data plan now. There are different plans for each device (iPhone, BB, Smartphone), but they all cost either $15 for 200MB or $25 for 2GB.
    08-16-10 01:11 PM
    Well if this is the first in line for next gen BlackBerries, I think that app developers will start coding more for BlackBerry devices. I played the same game on a Droid and 9530 and the droid kills the storm for better detail and less lag. I think the specs on this device should be enticing to developers to step up their apps and bring in new developers too.
    08-16-10 02:16 PM
    Well if this is the first in line for next gen BlackBerries, I think that app developers will start coding more for BlackBerry devices. I played the same game on a Droid and 9530 and the droid kills the storm for better detail and less lag. I think the specs on this device should be enticing to developers to step up their apps and bring in new developers too.
    The Torch is a good device for the new OS6. It is a solid device in the BB world and I cannot wait to see what RIM has to offer in the future because they are incorporating features that consumers want in a device.
    08-16-10 03:44 PM
    ... Personally I like the Torch + iPad combination ...
    I don't have a Torch yet, but this is exactly the combination I've been thinking of.

My story: I recently bought an iPad, and I have an iPhone 3G, which I've owned for two years (more about the 3G later). Now that I have the iPad, I have stopped buying apps for the iPhone: I use my iPad now where I used to use my iPhone, and with its greater resolution and fast processor, the iPad just does all the apps that much better than the iPhone.

In short, the iPad has rendered the iPhone redundant for me.

Now, about the iPhone ... I am very, very unhappy with it and with Apple. I had bought the 3G in August, 2008, and by 2009, Apple brought out the 3GS, doubling the speed of the processor. Apple's upgrading to the OS to accommodate the increased speed of the 3GS led to decreasing performance of the 3G.

Although my 3G is now only two years old, it has become painfully slow--and I'm not talking about stuttering when playing games:

• Delays result when moving from the home screen to an adjacent screen ... a "hitching" or stutter, not a smooth animation at all.

• Opening the texting app results in an eight second display of a blank screen (no hyperbole: I've timed it using the chronograph on my watch).

• Tapping in a text requestor results in a such long delay for the flashing cursor to appear that I often don't know whether I've tapped outside the boundary of the requestor or not.

• Typing ahead of the the keyboard is common. I can type a number of words before they show up, and the animation of the letters as they are pressed often doesn't occur.

I understand the concept of planned obsolescence, but engineering an operating system that renders an appliance almost unusable is maddening. Before anyone suggests it's user error on my behalf, check out this parody of an iPhone commercial (which displays the problems I've mentioned above--and more):

So ... I am also an iPhone user looking at the Torch. Why?

• I will NOT buy an iPhone 4: with my iPad, an iPhone 4 would be more than I need. Plus ... I don't trust Apple. With the iPad, I can handle planned obsolescence, and if the same thing happens with the iPad, so be it. I don't depend on it. For something that I absolutely depend on for my daily--make that hourly ... no by the minute(!) communication ... uh, no. You've lost me, Apple.

• I like a physical keyboard. Prior to the 3G, I had a Treo 680, which I loved.

• My wife has had a BB Curve for a little more than a year, loves it, and highly recommends BBs.

• The idea of using BBM to communicate (my wife and I tend to text each other a LOT--especially when I'm out of town on business) is very appealing.

• I now mostly use my 3G for talking (duh!); texting; keeping my calendar and to-do's for both work and home straight; cruising the web to kill time in line-ups, etc.; and playing solitaire. My iPad is my "fun" appliance.

The only thing holding me back at the moment is that I live in Canada, so the Torch isn't available yet, and there's no word on when it will other than "September or maybe October."
    08-16-10 04:32 PM
    I for one love the torch. I have always been partial to blackberries even though I have used an iphone as my personal line since they were released. I use a blackberry for work as they provide them for free. At work I use the Storm 2 (despite some of its bashing I love mine) and was excited to see a blackberry with a decent web browser finally released.

I have the iphone 4 now and the Torch. The only think keeping me from shutting down my iphone is that I forgot that you have to have a micro sim adapter to use with the torch as the iPhone uses the ridiculous micro sim. Other than that its a great device. The call volume could be a little louder but hopefully that will be fixed with a software update. Just my 2 cents.

08-16-10 04:33 PM
    I for one love the torch. I have always been partial to blackberries even though I have used an iphone as my personal line since they were released. I use a blackberry for work as they provide them for free. At work I use the Storm 2 (despite some of its bashing I love mine) and was excited to see a blackberry with a decent web browser finally released.

I have the iphone 4 now and the Torch. The only think keeping me from shutting down my iphone is that I forgot that you have to have a micro sim adapter to use with the torch as the iPhone uses the ridiculous micro sim. Other than that its a great device. The call volume could be a little louder but hopefully that will be fixed with a software update. Just my 2 cents.

Do you get the tinny volume thing that almost everyone is reporting? I'm just worried about that currently.
    08-16-10 07:50 PM
    I don't have a Torch yet, but this is exactly the combination I've been thinking of.

we're on the same boat.. but i do have the Torch already.. since thurs and loving it.
    i used to have a 3G and 3GS and played with the wife's iphone 4.
    but REdundancy is the name of the game.
    like you i purchased an ipad 3G and used a Bold 9000 to be my phone.
    now with the Torch, i can't be happier.

Best of Both Worlds..
    Apple plus RIM
    08-16-10 09:04 PM
    torch is solid even though the i4 was my first choice
    09-03-10 11:36 AM

My story: I recently bought an iPad, and I have an iPhone 3G, which I've owned for two years (more about the 3G later). Now that I have the iPad, I have stopped buying apps for the iPhone: I use my iPad now where I used to use my iPhone, and with its greater resolution and fast processor, the iPad just does all the apps that much better than the iPhone.

Now, about the iPhone ... I am very, very unhappy with it and with Apple. I had bought the 3G in August, 2008, and by 2009, Apple brought out the 3GS, doubling the speed of the processor. Apple's upgrading to the OS to accommodate the increased speed of the 3GS led to decreasing performance of the 3G.

Although my 3G is now only two years old, it has become painfully slow--and I'm not talking about stuttering when playing games:

• Delays result when moving from the home screen to an adjacent screen ... a "hitching" or stutter, not a smooth animation at all.

• Opening the texting app results in an eight second display of a blank screen (no hyperbole: I've timed it using the chronograph on my watch).

• Tapping in a text requestor results in a such long delay for the flashing cursor to appear that I often don't know whether I've tapped outside the boundary of the requestor or not.

• Typing ahead of the the keyboard is common. I can type a number of words before they show up, and the animation of the letters as they are pressed often doesn't occur.

I understand the concept of planned obsolescence, but engineering an operating system that renders an appliance almost unusable is maddening. Before anyone suggests it's user error on my behalf, check out this parody of an iPhone commercial (which displays the problems I've mentioned above--and more):

So ... I am also an iPhone user looking at the Torch. Why?

• I will NOT buy an iPhone 4: with my iPad, an iPhone 4 would be more than I need. Plus ... I don't trust Apple. With the iPad, I can handle planned obsolescence, and if the same thing happens with the iPad, so be it. I don't depend on it. For something that I absolutely depend on for my daily--make that hourly ... no by the minute(!) communication ... uh, no. You've lost me, Apple.

• I like a physical keyboard. Prior to the 3G, I had a Treo 680, which I loved.

• My wife has had a BB Curve for a little more than a year, loves it, and highly recommends BBs.

• The idea of using BBM to communicate (my wife and I tend to text each other a LOT--especially when I'm out of town on business) is very appealing.

• I now mostly use my 3G for talking (duh!); texting; keeping my calendar and to-do's for both work and home straight; cruising the web to kill time in line-ups, etc.; and playing solitaire. My iPad is my "fun" appliance.

The only thing holding me back at the moment is that I live in Canada, so the Torch isn't available yet, and there's no word on when it will other than "September or maybe October."
    I too know what it's like to be out of town a lot for work. Until you get a BlackBerry, use GTalk. She can install on her BB and you can use it on your 3G. It has a BBM type format and works well.
    09-03-10 11:48 AM
    Do you get the tinny volume thing that almost everyone is reporting? I'm just worried about that currently.
    I don't have it, never did. Plenty of people here have said they never had the issue and many who have had the problem said it was fixed in the beta .161 release, so this shouldn't be a factor.
    09-03-10 01:30 PM
    pretty fair assessment. Excellent and compact read.
    09-03-10 02:10 PM
    I don't have it, never did. Plenty of people here have said they never had the issue and many who have had the problem said it was fixed in the beta .161 release, so this shouldn't be a factor.
    I don't have it either. The other problems others have, I am lucky to not have them I guess.
    09-03-10 02:13 PM
    Best combo would be a new ipod touch with a BB torch. Since you get wifi on campus, you get to use all the internet and apps on the touch but still be able to use the BB as your primary phone for calls, texting, and e-mails.
    I'm thinking of doing this myself. Been wanting a new iPod (still have a 1st gen Nano). I love my Torch as a phone and work device, but a Touch would let me use certain apps (plus be my main music source).
    09-03-10 02:21 PM
    As an owner of both phone (iphone 4 and Torch) I'll be honest- you couldn't pay me enough to keep the Torch over the iphone. And that's coming from someone who has owned numerous BBs. The torch is a good phone, a very good BB but to me doesnt have the level of polish that the other has. Of course that is my opinion and I'd never call anyone else wrong for disagreeing.

I'm a little confused how the OP can "hate" the iphone for its antenna issue, even though they have not had a dropped call. I have to be honest- this makes for some questionable credibility.
    You don't have either one, you prolly don't even have a cell phone....
    09-03-10 05:42 PM
    Let's try and keep the useless, accusatory comments to a minimum. This has been a great thread so far! Making me itch even more for a Torch.. Thanks for the great comments everyone!
    09-03-10 06:09 PM
    I got a Torch/Touch combo and it works great for me. Blackberry keeps me in touch with the wife, family, and homies. The touch handles all my music, apps, and games. I use texting and email as my primary form of communication these days and I could never get it all done as fast with a touch screen keyboard. I have tried Android and do not like Swype and as great as the touchpad is on on Apple devices it just is not for me.
    09-03-10 06:22 PM
    Very well thought out post.

I've had the iPhone 4, the HTC EVO and several different phones in the past year, I can honestly say that I've come back to BlackBerry every single time. The iPhone 4 is a great and beautiful device, especially with the Retina display; but messaging on a BlackBerry in my opinion beats it hands down, personally I've had extremely bad luck with the signal on the iPhone 4 (which is one of the reason's I canceled the contract with AT&T and sold the phone). The EVO is a beautiful phone but it didn't offer the physical keyboard, the Android OS while young; just didn't offer what OS 5 (and soon OS 6) has to offer, it's a bit difficult to explain.

A previous poster indicated that if you have access to Wi-Fi, then purchasing a new iPod Touch (with Retina) will take care of all the apps that you desire, which will leave the messaging responsibilities and etc. to the BlackBerry, but it's definitely a choice that needs to be made by you, but I believe BlackBerry is the way to go.
    09-03-10 06:48 PM
    I have been an iphone user for two years and just switched a few weeks back. I miss just a bit the sharpness of the intenet on the iphone. The apps were fun for a few weeks on the iphone but found myself using them less and less! The torch rocks with texting and am addicted to BBM!I hated the touchscreen keyboard with the iphone. I also love the calendar feature and everything from phone calls to app notifications are on the main screen. I guess It all depends on what you use your phone for. So far I'm not missing my iphone yet

09-03-10 07:23 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD