Y is At&t not allowing existing customers to upgrade their phone and extend their service for two additional yrs when they are in a contract????? This has to be the dumbest business decision I ever seen....At&t use to allow this and this was one of the best incentives I liked about them, now they are restricting you purchasing new equipment at discount prices until a certain date???

Also, they have a special deal with Apple to early upgrade people and not with their other phones???? this is terrible...since I'm on an old contract, this type of treatment may make me pay the $175 fee and jump over to VZ....
    08-12-10 10:46 AM
    You can. Keep calling until you get one. 199.99 +75.00 Just got mine!
    08-12-10 10:49 AM
    You can. Keep calling until you get one. 199.99 +75.00 Just got mine!
    When was you upgrade due? usually they would waive the upgrade fee....At&t is trying to get too tight....
    08-12-10 11:02 AM
    When did you upgrade last?
    08-12-10 11:04 AM
    Besides the Apple iPhone deal, AT&T will ONLY upgrade within X months (normally 3-4) of your contract expiring.

Having said that, if you go to a LARGE AT&T Corporate shop, they tend to help a bit more...
    08-12-10 11:07 AM
    No they are just trying to get people to stop taking advantage of upgrades. Either you are not eligible, eligible for early upgrade which includes the fee or eligible for full upgrade. It sounds as if you want them to let a person upgrade even if the just upgraded 6 months ago. If this pisses you off, then VZW upgrade rules aren't any better. So you may jump there for a new phone but when you try to upgrade and aren't eligible, are you going to jump to sprint?
    08-12-10 11:07 AM
    When did you upgrade last?
    In January
    08-12-10 11:09 AM
    I would bet if you were a year or more in they will do it. VZW allows the main line to upgrade after one year on a previous two year contract.
    08-12-10 11:12 AM
    No they are just trying to get people to stop taking advantage of upgrades. Either you are not eligible, eligible for early upgrade which includes the fee or eligible for full upgrade. It sounds as if you want them to let a person upgrade even if the just upgraded 6 months ago. If this pisses you off, then VZW upgrade rules aren't any better. So you may jump there for a new phone but when you try to upgrade and aren't eligible, are you going to jump to sprint?
    This is bs, they use to allow u to do so...y make me, a long standing customer pay full price for a new device?? This is no way to incentive existing customers to keep them as a provider.....

say, ur not happy with your current phone, y can't you purchase a new phone with better features or more memory at a discount price???? y would I recommend them to anyone???
    Last edited by SuperTone; 08-12-10 at 11:15 AM.
    08-12-10 11:12 AM
    Just buy out the remainder of your existing phone and upgrade.
    08-12-10 11:14 AM
    In January
    This is bs, they use to allow u to do so...y make me, a long standing customer pay full price for a new device?? This is no way to incentive existing customers to keep them as a provider..
    There is your answer. We lost money on you in Jan. and we have not made enough of a return on your account to justify letting to upgrade again. Simple. Live with it.
    08-12-10 11:14 AM
    The only reason they give you the discounted upgrade price is because they make up for the loss they take on the device with their montly voice and data plans. They aren't getting the Torch from RIM for $199, they are getting it for more. However, they know that over the course of your 2 year deal, they will make a certain amount of profit per month to cover that initial loss. If they upgrade you every 6 months at a discounted price, they will never make money.

Seriously, use common sense. Verizon is MUCH worse with upgrades. Trust me, I've been a long time Verizon customer (still am) that just added an AT&T line. From what I have heard here, AT&T is much better about upgrades than VZW.
    08-12-10 11:18 AM
    There is your answer. We lost money on you in Jan. and we have not made enough of a return on your account to justify letting to upgrade again. Simple. Live with it.
    Exactly. You can just upgrade 8 months ago and they you are entitled to getting another upgrade. With most people you have to wait 18 months to be eligible and sometime there are exceptions for primary lines. I know my primary line is eligible every 12 months since I have a premier account.

But it's not BS that's how it is and rightfully so. We can't just upgrade because we are unhappy with a phone 8 months after we bought it. Then they lose money by letting you upgrade when you haven't satisfied enough of your contract terms. It would quite silly for us to think the carrier is supposed to let you upgrade everytime you wanted to.
    08-12-10 11:19 AM
    Its funny how you say "we" like you represent the company or something lol. Your paycheck is no way affected by at&t "losing" money on one of their customers.
    08-12-10 11:19 AM
    please, what you lost doesn't compare to the mark-up on these phones....these wireless companies are making hand over fist on these phones....also, u most likely made up that cost on the fees and charges in my monthly bill...GTFOH with the lost money bit..
    08-12-10 11:20 AM
    Seriously, use common sense. Verizon is MUCH worse with upgrades. Trust me, I've been a long time Verizon customer (still am) that just added an AT&T line. From what I have heard here, AT&T is much better about upgrades than VZW.
    Yes VZW is much more strict with upgrades but I have no gripe with them either. They have their policy and that's that. The OP is just being a brat because they can't get a new phone everytime they wanted. Everyone has to wait a certain amount of time (whether it's a year, 18 months or 2 years) before they are eligible to upgrade at a discounted price. Period.
    08-12-10 11:21 AM
    please, what you lost doesn't compare to the mark-up on these phones....these wireless companies are making hand over fist on these phones....also, u most likely made up that cost on the fees and charges in my monthly bill...GTFOH with the lost money bit..
    FAIL. lol...
    08-12-10 11:23 AM
    I work for AT&T. It's how the system works, you can get on board and understand or not. Up to you.

Apple subsidized all those early upgrades to the iPhone4, not at&t.

All those "fees and charges" go to your local, state, and federal governments. Not us.

I'm really sorry you don't understand this, but that is not our fault.
    08-12-10 11:23 AM
    Exactly. You can just upgrade 8 months ago and they you are entitled to getting another upgrade. With most people you have to wait 18 months to be eligible and sometime there are exceptions for primary lines. I know my primary line is eligible every 12 months since I have a premier account.

But it's not BS that's how it is and rightfully so. We can't just upgrade because we are unhappy with a phone 8 months after we bought it. Then they lose money by letting you upgrade when you haven't satisfied enough of your contract terms. It would quite silly for us to think the carrier is supposed to let you upgrade everytime you wanted to.
    Entitled??? WTH is that, I'm a customer buying a product....I have a long standing relationship with a company and you want to say entitled to something based off of new rules you throw my way....this is where these companies are losing their way..Customer service has gone out the window....
    08-12-10 11:26 AM
    Just because you've been with us for a long time doesn't mean we are going to start losing money on you. This is a business, not unicef.
    08-12-10 11:28 AM
    I work for AT&T. It's how the system works, you can get on board and understand or not. Up to you.

Apple subsidized all those early upgrades to the iPhone4, not at&t.

All those "fees and charges" go to your local, state, and federal governments. Not us.

I'm really sorry you don't understand this, but that is not our fault.
    yeah its AT&T fault because customer service is not important to you any more...there was a time where you would work with your existing customers and provide them with a better level of service...it not about be not understanding this...I don't agree with the treatment of long standing existing customers....It called good customer service...work with me and I'll stay a customer and pay u every month with no fail...
    08-12-10 11:29 AM
    We cannot treat new customers any different than exsisting/old ones. Period. It's called discrimination.
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 08-12-10 at 11:41 AM.
    08-12-10 11:30 AM
    And for the record carriers do not make money hand over fists on devices lol.. They make money on the plans.

And also, try expecting special pricing with any other company and see how they treat you...
    08-12-10 11:34 AM
    Sorry to bump in here, but it's not customer service...its simple math.

You get a phone upgrade within a certain period of time, determined by the carrier. Otherwise, folks would get a new phone every few months, and they make no money...they actually can lose more money on phones that way.

Its business, its math. It is NOT customer service...and policies. don't like the policies, go to another carrier. You just got a phone 8 months ago and now you want one at a reduced price and reup for your 2 year contract? If that were the cawse, with all the new phones coming out, they'd be getting changes every week.

Sit tight or pay the full price. And in a few months, you'll get the phone and probably for even cheaper, or a new model that comes out.

But don't blame customer service or these guys...
    08-12-10 11:34 AM
    Sorry to bump in here, but it's not customer service...its simple math.

You get a phone upgrade within a certain period of time, determined by the carrier. Otherwise, folks would get a new phone every few months, and they make no money...they actually can lose more money on phones that way.

Its business, its math. It is NOT customer service...and policies. don't like the policies, go to another carrier. You just got a phone 8 months ago and now you want one at a reduced price and reup for your 2 year contract? If that were the cawse, with all the new phones coming out, they'd be getting changes every week.

Sit tight or pay the full price. And in a few months, you'll get the phone and probably for even cheaper, or a new model that comes out.

But don't blame customer service or these guys...
    That's BS, because a sometime ago they did provide better service when it came to their customers...and if I'm staying with you and paying on a monthly basis how are you losing money....in fact, they probably made more money off of long standing customers then they lost with providing them with discounts on phones....that's simple math....if someone has been a customer for over 10yrs I would guarantee they made way more money off of them then how much they lost off of phones they sold to them...
    08-12-10 11:40 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD