Im 14 years old, and I have a blackberry torch, I just wanted everyones opinion. Is it weird that I have a torch abd im 14, i had a bold before, and a curve before that. and an iphone before that! and i just like blackberry's, i like facebook apps, and i like BBMing. But i just wanted other opinions. Is it weird that I have a torch at my age?
    01-26-11 04:07 PM
    You must have wonderful parents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 04:17 PM
    Haha i do. BUt i payed the $50 for my torch, and i got the curve as a hand me down. Also, payed $80 for the bold, the iPhone was bogo at best buy a few years back, BUT i do have a job, so that contributes.
    01-26-11 04:22 PM
    I rememner being 14 and toting lumber for a framer at 14. I bought what I wanted and enjoyed every minute of it. Nothing wrong w/ it. Btw my daughter is 12 and she has an ipad and a android phone. I can't remember who made it but its on att.

Last edited by 13echo4; 01-26-11 at 04:35 PM.
    01-26-11 04:33 PM
    My 13 year old daughter has a Droid Incredible.
    01-26-11 04:39 PM
    Nothing wrong with it at all especially since you contribute. My 11 year old has an unlimited Bold that I pay for and an 4G iTouch. He earns the iTunes cards by doing chores around the house (he get money and that's what he usually buys). You have to learn sometime that money and nice toys just don't fall off trees.

Which do you think is more of a shock, doing what you are doing now or being hit up for half you car insurance in a few years when you get a car?

01-26-11 05:02 PM
    you're 14 and you have a smartphone = that's ok! nothing wrong with that.
    you're 14 and you have a beer = that's wrong
    you're 14 and you have a cigarette = that's wrong
    01-26-11 05:11 PM
    trolled.... and Mark, aint nothing wrong with beers as a teen!
    who didnt drink beers in high shool
    01-26-11 05:13 PM
    I think your good. Its nice to see someone so young with such great taste!
    01-26-11 05:43 PM
    What's more wrong about having a Torch at 14 is being self-conscious about it. Who cares what others think about you having a smartphone at your age? Just enjoy it, seeing as how you did work for it.

01-26-11 06:38 PM
    Count yourself fortunate in that my son may be getting a smartphone for his 12th birthday this year replacing his Samsung Solstice. However, it will probably not be as nice as the Torch.

01-26-11 06:45 PM
    I wouldn't buy my kid a smartphone. They're not toys. Well, not all of them anyway
    01-26-11 06:53 PM
    My wife and I both work far away from my son's school so he needs a phone. He studies hard, listens to his parent and helps around the house. It may be a bit extravagant but he is an only child.
    01-26-11 06:58 PM
    My wife and I both work far away from my son's school so he needs a phone. He studies hard, listens to his parent and helps around the house. It may be a bit extravagant but he is an only child.
    So which parent is he not listening to?
    01-26-11 07:04 PM
    I agree with ougum, I wouldn't buy my kid a smart phone either, for many reasons. It is a distraction, expensive and kids are envious (potential to get lost or stolen).

OP you should be happy with the torch plenty of games and fun. I didn't get my own phone till I was 18 and my first smart phone till now. When I was 14, a small group of people had phones, now you will most likely see more kids with phones then without. Parents realize they have a shorter leesh

01-26-11 07:25 PM
    I personally wouldnt get a Torch for a teenager, but is it wrong...no. I don't see the point of having a teen constantly connected to the internet and social networks. But that's a personal opinion. Enjoy the phone...too bad you started the addiction early ha ha ha.
    01-26-11 07:28 PM
    Im 14 years old, and I have a blackberry torch, I just wanted everyones opinion. Is it weird that I have a torch abd im 14, i had a bold before, and a curve before that. and an iphone before that! and i just like blackberry's, i like facebook apps, and i like BBMing. But i just wanted other opinions. Is it weird that I have a torch at my age?
    Normally, I would say "WHY THE **** DO KIDS LIKE THIS HAVE A BLACKBERRY!?". However, my friend's 9 year old daughter has one too...
    01-26-11 07:29 PM
    The way I see it, there are circumstances where I would buy my kid a phone/smartphone and there are circumstances where I wouldn't.

I find it outrageous when I hear people flat-out say kids (of a certain age) shouldn't be on computers, the internet, shouldn't have cell phones, shouldn't date etc. I over heard a lady say parents make the mistake of buying their kids computers, they think it helps but it doesn't... Let them go to the Library if they want to use a computer. Obviously, there are reasons why, in some cases, that may be true, right and a good thing, but I could think of a million reasons why it would be better to have it in the home and why kids, in some cases, should have a computer.

It's just like a car. There are kids, in certain cases (me being one of them) who may not necessarily need a car at 16, but the benefits far outweigh the costs and risks of having one, than not having one.
    01-26-11 07:41 PM
    I wish I could have a Blackberry when I was that young. I was barely lucky to have TrackPhone maybe with a camera. It's safe for the parents that let their kids kids use cellphones. It's not weird that you have Blackberry, it's awesome!
    Last edited by aawilson; 01-26-11 at 07:51 PM.
    01-26-11 07:45 PM
    I wouldn't buy my kid a smartphone at a young age (i'm talking pre-teen age) and on top of that add a data plan. They need to learn how to take responsibily for their education first then after its the toys. Getting your kid a smartphone would only distract them in class, and besides if you want to stay in contact with them buy them a dumy phone. Its not healthy for an 11 year old to start their addiction at that age. Start small then when they understand their responsibilities start introducing them into the "big boys" toys. (Try saying that fast :P)

01-26-11 11:37 PM
    I wouldn't buy my kid a smartphone at that age especially with a two gig data plan. Now I am not saying that you shouldn't buy your kid one that is up to the parent. 14 is pushig it but a 9 year old gimme a break? WTH is a 9 year old gonna do with a smartphone?

01-26-11 11:53 PM
    14 with a smart phone, I would have been in heaven. If you are happy with the Torch, it's all that matters.

01-26-11 11:55 PM
    It seems like most kids & teens have smartphones these days, so its not weird. If I were a parent though, I'd only give my teen a very basic phone. They would get a smartphone when they can afford it & the dataplan themselves. Count yourself lucky your parents aren't like me & enjoy your awesome Torch.

01-27-11 12:19 AM
    I just don't understand why you want everyone's opinion who already has one.

As for the age/phone thing, when I was 16 my parents said, "Fine you want a phone, go get a phone."

I think that's the most mature thing to do as a parent, 22 now and I still have friends who have their cell phones paid for them. Spoiled brats is what they are and of course everything else is paid for. I enjoyed spending my hard earned money on my new toys every few years. And of course, the early sense of financial responsibility.

If you're lucky enough to have gone from an iPhone to a Torch before 15, good for you. Appreciate it and don't take it for granted.
    01-27-11 12:35 AM
    6 years ago, I had an O2 Ice (I think HTC made it, before they went independent), which was barely even a featurephone. I got my first smartphone (the Nokia 5800 is more a featurephone than smartphone) at the age of 19, which was a BlackBerry Curve 8520, which I am still using now. I turned 20 on Tuesday... Also, I paid �230 for my smartphone (of my OWN money), now 9 months down the line the same company are only charging �130 (and I think it was on offer at �230, it ain't on offer at �130)

My parents were worried about me getting the big phones, I was always given hand-me-downs when I was younger. Given I had my first phone that I bought myself stolen (Nokia 5530, excellent phone), my parents have been ever more wary, but understand that I'm addicted to the phone technology. Now, I use my BlackBerry and will be getting a Torch and PlayBook.
    01-27-11 12:38 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD