Just spent 30 minutes at an at&t corporate store fiddling with the 9800 and I have to say I'm underwhelmed.

The overall feel of the device is not premium. It's displayed side by side to the 9700 and for me there's no comparison visually. The 9700 is stealth. All business. I feel that the 9800 is geared towards the teenie boppers who are begging their mommies and daddies for a Blackberry so that they can BBM.

Now for my mini breakdown:

OS: Was loaded with 6.0.141 and sluggish as all ****! From the scrolling of the icons to the browsing it's really kind of a joke. Pinch to zoom is clunky and overall webpage rendering is slower than on my 9700. Granted the device didn't have a sim and was running on WiFi, BUT STILL!

Keyboard: Love the feel and the the "clickyness" -- image a combination between the 8900 and 9700 keyboards, but I kept hitting the the bottom of the slider when typing on the upper keys. RIM must've tested this with skinny little hands LOL.

For me those are the two most important things on a phone: The keyboard and the fluidity of the OS. I will never own an iPhone but RIM is kidding themselves if they hope the 9800 and OS 6 can compete with Safari's mobile browsing experience.

My 9700 is in great shape (thanks to BSE) solid as a rock and can shoot out emails and browse (with BOLT) as good as I can ask for. I'll pass on the 9800 thank you very much and wait to see how OS 6 will load on the 9700.
    08-11-10 11:56 AM
    That's nice. Keep enjoying your 9700.
    08-11-10 11:58 AM
    I feel that the 9800 is geared towards the teenie boppers who are begging their mommies and daddies for a Blackberry so that they can BBM.
    Really? A survey where 25 voted in the 15-29 year old range and 98 voted in the 30-60 year old range, teenie bopper? INQ Chat, BB Curve and iPhones are more popular for teenie boppers.
    08-11-10 12:06 PM
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion! Frankly I disagree as BB's do not typically appeal to teens (they will usually get a different kind of slider).
    08-11-10 12:11 PM
    Ok SackHarry.. We know it's you..Don't be shy and just say hello
    08-11-10 12:13 PM
    I sense a tad bit of jealousy.
    08-11-10 12:14 PM
    I've got to try one for myself the reviews all vary so much! Personal pref. aside there shouldn't be such contradictory reports about the speed. I'm a little nervous!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 12:35 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, plus some just don't like TS type phones, even if it has a full keyboard, just is how it is...

With that said, I am saving my opinion on it till I personally use one...
    08-11-10 12:40 PM
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion! Frankly I disagree as BB's do not typically appeal to teens (they will usually get a different kind of slider).
    I beg to differ.
    08-11-10 12:50 PM
    Opinions are like . . . .

Since the store display phones have been out for five days, it's quite likely the one you tried has grown sluggish from overuse and abuse w/o rebooting, etc. If you didn't, you should have rebooted the phone.

As far as the keyboard goes, I have huge hands and had no problem. It's a little different experience from my 9000 -- the Cadillac of BB Keyboards� -- but I'm not so *cough*anal retentive*cough* that I can't adjust.
    08-11-10 12:58 PM
    LMAO! I sure love the 9000- hopefully that Magnum one will come out someday with the 9000 body, touchscreen and way more memory! I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

08-11-10 01:01 PM
    LMAO! I sure love the 9000- hopefully that Magnum one will come out someday with the 9000 body, touchscreen and way more memory! I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

I took my 9000 out of the drawer a few minutes ago and wow the keyboard is really nice.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-11-10 at 02:39 PM.
    08-11-10 02:36 PM
    The 9700 IS stealth....and a rock solid phone...I'm going to get a Torch, but I'm keeping my 9700....if I end up not liking the Torch, I'll ebay it and go back to my Bold.
    Last edited by Average Joe; 08-12-10 at 04:40 PM.
    08-11-10 05:50 PM
    Welp, after spending about 10 hours with the Torch, Ive decided to put it on Ebay and stick with my 9700 as well...

I see why people love the thing, but its just not for me...I guess Im just not a touch screen kinda guy...plus the screen resolution really got on my nerves...I didnt think it would be an issue, but it definitely was...

I also didnt realize that the social feed app thingy is hitched to the god awful BB Facebook App...I thought maybe it could be set to work with the browser instead...but, no such luck....and I dont use Twitter, myspace, or any other messenger apps, so I dont really need social feeds...its a nice idea, and Im sure tons of people will love it and use it heavily...

Overall this really sucks because I was STOKED to get this new device...but I DO think its definitely a step in the right direction for RIM, and I hope they build on it...it could be a great phone with some tweaks.

Anyway, I like OS6 a lot, Ill try it on my 9700 when available...if the phone cant handle it, Ill get the new upgraded 9700 when it comes out...

And before anyone says I didnt give it long enough, trust me...10 hours with a phone is PLENTY of time to tell if its a good fit for me, and it wasnt.

Maybe Ill give their next release a whirl....but until then, Im back with my faithful, trusty 9700....and Im ok with that.

Enjoy your Torches, folks...its not a bad device, its just not for me.
    08-12-10 09:26 PM
    I don't see a reason of making a thread to attack the 9800 owners on a personal level by making such remark:
    I feel that the 9800 is geared towards the teenie boppers who are begging their mommies and daddies for a Blackberry so that they can BBM.
    08-12-10 09:28 PM
    I love my 9700. I'm sticking with it for now but have my eye out for the 9780 depending on how well the 9700 runs OS6 and if the 9780 is hspa+. That being said I think the 9800 looks great for folks who want a touch screen.
    08-12-10 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD