What happen if I just purchase a Torch but not subscribe to BES/BIS? For sure I can't use BBM and AppStore. What are other things I'm going to miss?

Will I be able to browse using 3G (for sure wi-fi will be no trouble at all)? Phone call, Text message, Calendar and its basic functions(calculator, memopad, tasks etc) are OK I take it. All Media & Games are Ok either, right?

Lastly can I setting up Gmail, Google Talk, MySpace, YM and most importantly Facebook?

Honestly I'd like to gift it to someone but don't want to trouble with hefty fee the carrier is going to charge her on monthly basis .... thanks in advance
    05-18-11 07:24 AM
    No 3G browsing.
    Just no Data.
    At all.
    Maybe Wifi.
    No MMS.
    No Gmail, Gtalk, etc,
    05-18-11 07:26 AM
    No BIS !! Y would you even buy a blackberry then ? ... Better off with a phone more suitable to your needs ... Maybe a Nokia would do
    05-18-11 08:24 AM
    No 3G browsing.
    Just no Data.
    At all.
    Maybe Wifi.
    No MMS.
    No Gmail, Gtalk, etc,
    +1

No BIS !! Y would you even buy a blackberry then ? ... Better off with a phone more suitable to your needs ... Maybe a Nokia would do
    +1

Absolutely no use in buying a blackberry, without a data plan / BIS. You will essentially have a device that can call, and SMS, with a QWERTY keyboard, and touch screen...

Some have been able to browse on Wifi (not 3g) with a third party browser, but typically without BIS none of the core / native apps will work, as well, 99% of third party apps requre it as well...

So as Deathcommand Posted

No Data
    No Wifi
    No Browsing
    No Email
    No MMS
    No Gmail
    No Facebook
    No Twitter
    etc...

I still have a Motorola Razor somewhere, might be better off with that...
    05-18-11 09:01 AM
    orait then ... what a cruel world. Guess this is where it comes to a point you have to eat gingerbread since the berry seems tasteless and an apple taste funny...

Anyway thanks guys. I'll be checking if there is data plan that is cheap just enough to make it 'run' if not flying. prepaid maybe....
    05-18-11 09:55 AM
    This thread might be of use: Wifi compatible apps list

A BlackBerry with no data is STILL a good phone and a very capable PDA... Just not as capable communicator/GTD/PIN as it would be with BIS.
    azzir.bb likes this.
    05-23-11 08:20 PM
    There's no use buying a high end BlackBerry like the Torch if you're not getting a data plan. You might as well get an old Curve for dirt cheap, or a Pearl.
    05-23-11 10:39 PM
    I have a torch with no BIS/BES, and almost everything works on TCP/IP.
    The only thing not working are the specific BB services.

I use Google sync, browser (the OEM not working on my phone now with the latest release, but using Opera), GMail, BB Market, BB Twitter, ....

Most things work!

I have an iPhone, a HTC Android Desire HD and a HTC HD2. They're all collecting dust in a drawer, as the BB Torch 9800 even without the BIS/BES i a much better device.
    Last edited by espen; 05-24-11 at 12:09 AM.
    05-24-11 12:07 AM
    diegonei, the thread that you had mentioned is SUPERB!! Guess it is not useless after all having a Torch without BIS/BES! Thank God, you made my day.

That is how Blackberry doing business, without BIS/BES just gives 75% usable with another 20% strictly dedicated to Blackberry own service/trademark functions. It is a win-win solution I guess.
    05-24-11 02:11 AM
    I gave my daughter a Curve 3G 9300/OS6, with a simple $20/mo talk & text plan.
    Prior to placing her new SIM card in it I first put my Torch SIM (on BES and BIS) in it. I logged into App World to load some free games for her.
    After removing my SIM and putting hers in, she can still fully use BB App World to download, while on wifi. I don't know if it's 'normal' or not. She has NO data plan. I actually had data/internet disabled at the carriers end to prevent data use 'accidents'. She's 12.
    I just thought I would mention it as it may or may not be useful information.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 05-24-11 at 12:18 PM.
    05-24-11 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD