Hi BB Forum:

I tried to reset my phone and took the battery out. When I reinsert the battery, I get the following display (see pic) on my screen. Attachment 73338

When I reinsert the battery, I get the BLACKBERRY display in the center of the screen for a second, then the screen flips to a white screen, then the battery icon with the red x in the center.

Any ideas?
    10-04-10 08:52 AM
    The BB thinks there is no battery inserted. Could be a bad battery, maybe the contacts are dirty... not sure.
    10-04-10 09:12 AM
    It means your battery is about to explode.
    10-04-10 10:07 AM
    Perhaps you need to charge the battery
    10-04-10 10:09 AM
    turn off your unit then charge the battery. leave it for like 15-20mins then try to turn your unit on.
    10-04-10 11:42 AM
    I remember when I'd get this with my 9000 and I'd immediately freak out and plug it in to charge. I also remember the few times when I'd find it dead in my pocket except for the red LED indicator when I'd turn it on. Turns out that was the battery too...but I digress.

It's rather intimidating, but like the others say it's probably just the battery being drained completely. I think I read from others on here that it's best to top the battery off and not let it drain that much to promote better lifespan for it.
    10-04-10 01:50 PM
    more than likely your battery is a fake aftermarket from china with a look alike sticker. you can confirm this by looking at someone elses battery and if your sticker is a lighter orange than theirs, its most likely a fake.
    04-22-11 03:59 PM
    One thing for sure. That's not looking good at all.
    04-22-11 05:29 PM
    Thanks OP for your post, I've got the exact same thing happening on my day-old unlocked Torch. I had just taken the phone off charge when the trouble started. The battery doesn't say RIM or BlackBerry on it anywhere, just F-S1 and a small "WaRrAnTy A-11" hologram on one side, and "Compatible with Torch 9800" on the other.

Back to my trusty 8220 until I can get over to Best Buy for a legit battery.
    04-23-11 03:35 AM
    So far we've seen copy protection on software, videos, and audio recordings. Apparently RIM uses a protection scheme on the 9800's battery, design to thwart counterfeiters. The first half of this YouTube shows exactly what happened 12 hours into owning my unlocked Torch:

Looks like I need to buy an OEM battery and an unlock gadget for the aftermarket battery supplied with my Torch.
    Last edited by hubermania; 04-24-11 at 09:39 PM. Reason: cooler temper after a good night's sleep
    04-23-11 05:08 PM
    your battery is not original
    05-12-11 09:39 PM
    So far we've seen copy protection on software, videos, and audio recordings. Apparently RIM uses a protection scheme on the 9800's battery, design to thwart counterfeiters. The first half of this YouTube shows exactly what happened 12 hours into owning my unlocked Torch:

Looks like I need to buy an OEM battery and an unlock gadget for the aftermarket battery supplied with my Torch.
    you can purchase counterfit batteries on ebay. most of them come with a "copier" to copy an OEM batteries "code" to the counterfit one,,,

the downside of this is should you have to pull the battery on the go, you are SOL...

it is to my understanding that the code needs to be coppied each time the battery is pulled...

although they are much cheaper ($9.99 vs $50) IMO it is not worth it.

to the posters that have this "counterfit" battery that was sold with the device, I would contact the seller to see what gives...
    05-12-11 09:55 PM
    had the very same thing happen yesterday while downloading the latest leaked os. using the very same battery i've had since purchasing my phone in august. all i did was pull the battery and reset it and, voila(!), it's fine!

guess is something happened when you pulled the battery (while charging, i'm guessing) and it was either left out too long with power connected or the battery wasn't seated properly when you reinstalled it. either way, no bigs and easily recovered from.
    05-13-11 03:47 PM
    I have the same battery with an x on my torch for a few days now after doing an update. AT&T gave me a new battery to try until mine comes in but I still get the x. the phone worked with the new battery for about an hour before shutting down. THe battery can't already be bad can it? It was brand new two days ago and spent a full day on the charger. Any other suggestions?
    06-01-11 08:18 AM
    I have this problem to its happened from day 1! i bought my blackberry without a battery as it was cheaper and thought i could just buy one and first off i bought a replacement battery without knowing that you need an original battery to make the replacement work so then i bought an original but still i get the battery with a red cross on it!

can anyone help?
    09-04-11 10:47 AM
    First, remove the battery from the device for a minute, and put it back in. Attach the charger to your device and leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage). If it doesn't reboot on the first attempt, leave it several more hours. I've had one charge for two days before it came back to life after an extreme battery depletion. Every 3-4 hours, with the device still connected to the charger, you can remove and replace the battery to see if it reboots.
    09-05-11 09:28 PM
    I just changed out the charging port in a BB 8520 and now I have the same icon. I took it apart many times, check connections and cleaned. Charged overnight and still no power. It is recognizing the usb charger. Any suggestions
    09-22-11 10:36 AM
    i've got the same problem too. completely no idea how to fix it then. can anyone help me please?
    10-26-11 11:52 PM
    I'm stuck with this issue too. My BB 9900 won't turn on and when it does all i see is the battery with the red cross on it. I tried charging for days but nothing happens. Went to the blackberry store and got a new battery but to no success.

What is this issue? Anyone got a solution or will i just throw away my BB???
    12-25-11 11:04 PM
    Guys am facing with same problems in my fiance bb torch 9800, its just new with only 2 months buts its keep showing red cross though I have try to change and buy a new one batter
    01-01-12 11:27 AM
    If your device is that new, take it back to the store and do a warranty exchange. I wouldn't even mess with it. Get a new one and start over.
    01-01-12 01:16 PM
    SOLUTION: wipe the contacts with a tissue. some oil or grease is on them causing the BB to fail its tests upon bootup. I spent a good 1.5 hours on the phone with RIM before simply wiping the contacts in the phone and it booted up!
    01-03-12 11:20 PM
    this has nothing to do with the battery, it's the phone. this is happening to me right now with my torch, i went to a rogers kiosk at the wireless wave and he told me to buy a new battery, i spent $70 on a new battery and my phone worked for a couple of hours, then it looked like it needed to be charged, i plugged it in and charged for a couple of hours, looked at it and it was 3/4 charged, checked on it an hour later and it was fully depleted and then went to the red x again. the phone is depleting the battery or something. there is no help, no support, just buy a new phone... what a scam!! i want to fix my phone!
    06-05-12 01:38 AM
    my one 9780 was hit on the ground and I got the same sign: battery with X on the screen.

even I removed battery and connect it to computer, still same sign. what is the issue? and can i fix it by myself?
    08-11-12 02:15 PM
    I GOT A SOLUTION!

Ok, so this has been happening to me a lot with my 9790, and it sure is a pain in the ***...
    I got my battery with my phone when I purchased it from the phone company, if you did too the battery is most likely legit.

So the 2 ways that worked for me are:
    1) Plug the charger into the device and turn it on so the Red X appears again
    2) Plug the device out, then take the battery out and hold it in your hands for 1-2 mins (that's what I did)
    3) Put the battery back into the device and plug the charger back into the device, BUT DO NOT turn the device back on
    I plugged the changer into my device without turning it on, and the LED turned on with a black screen, you wait 1-3mins and the screen will appear with a lightening bolt through a battery.
    This means it's now charging, once that happened I still didn't turn it on. It'll go to the Blackberry loading screen on it's own. TA-DAH!!

If that doesn't work, here's the second way, but it's a pain in the ***...

Hopefully you Backed Up your phone recently..because what you're going to have to do is reinstall your phone, I can't remember the steps correctly but it's pretty simple
    What you want to do is connect your BlackBerry to your desktop or laptop, and open up the BB Desktop Manager. From there your BlackBerry won't be detected. Then you have to update it and click on look for updates or whatever it says, then do that and even though you already have that version just click ok to update it. From there it'll update and reinstall everything. By the time it's done you're phone should be wiped except for the things you have saved on your little memory card. Next just restore everything you had backed up from the desktop manager.

Hope one of those steps helped ya!
    01-04-13 04:47 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD