Sure, for crackberry users I somewhat agree. A lot of the users don't actually own their blackberry tho, it's a work phone and it might be out of their control. Others are just uncomfortable with the leaked concept, and while I'm not one of them I do understand their concerns.

I'll say this though, whoever is leaking these things needs to get off their arse and leak my 9700 OS6 dammit...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You just reminded me of a question. I am one of those with a company-owned phone. OTA updates have been disabled by the administrator. I was really leery of attempting leak installs - it would be pretty embarassing to go through channels admitting I developed a problem installing software I know hasn't been authorized (especially since I'm the only one lucky enough to be given a Torch!). Is there any way an administrator can prevent individuals from installing updates or other software through DM?

edit: I have installed each Torch leak without any trouble. Just wondering if an administrator has that capability.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 09-29-10 at 11:01 AM.
    09-29-10 10:59 AM
    To all you 9800 users......does this phone have the ability to "disable dialing from the home screen" so the user can use shortcuts.....e.g. u for calculator, c for compose, d for memos, k for lock, etc., etc. ????? I have not been able to find out the definitive answer to this quandary as I absolutely need these services.....thanks.
    Yes, the shortcuts are still there, but you need to slide the screen open first. And in OS 6, the default is universal search (not dialing) when typing.

I still use keyboard shortcuts, and just select the search icon on the home screen when I want to do a search.
    09-29-10 10:30 PM
    And by the way, "slow" is *not* one of my complaints with the Torch. Granted, I have the .246 OS, but lag is rarely a problem. It feels very responsive overall.

And the camera ... wow! When you push the button, it snaps the picture immediately.

The Torch definitely has its attractions. It just depends on what is most important to you.
    09-29-10 10:38 PM
    You only need to open the slider to use the physical keyboard. Everything else you can do with the screen, track pad, and buttons. Actually, the screen and track pad are integrated VERY well. When using the web browser, you can move around and zoom in and out with the screen. If you suddenly find you need precise movement to select a link all you have to do is swipe the touch pad and the cursor magically appears on the screen and is controlled by the touch pad.

My opinion is that this is a GREAT phone. I came to this from a 9000. I am old and a bit set in my ways, and was skeptical about a touch screen phone. After just a few days of use I discovered that the phone was very easy to use once I found my way around it. Actually, you don't have to open the tray to access everything each time like someone said. If you want to you can just leave the tray open all the time. You only need to close it if you prefer to see your home screen image each time you pick up the phone. RIM has made this phone very user friendly in my opinion; you just need to spend a little time with it and have an open mind. There are plenty of shortcuts to make life easier, such as holding down the BB button to switch applications.

After using this phone for a month I could never go back to the 9000, if for no other reason than the screen size. The 9000 looks and feels like an antique to me now. The 9700 with the even smaller screen? Not for me...

Just my .02.....
    Thanks so much for the reply. Because of it, I went down to my local AT&T store to check it out for myself and wow....I really, really liked it! I'm not eligible for an upgrade until April but I've been with AT&T for so long that I'm hoping they'll upgrade me early. This may be the perfect birthday gift to myself!
    10-16-10 11:22 AM
    I also went back to the 9700. Battery life was killing me. But, the final nail was that my cheek continually dialed people or put people on hold and this was with NO screen protector. Can't deal with that!

Your proximity sensor didnt work? Mine autoshutdown the screen when i close it to me
    10-16-10 11:28 AM
    All valid points, the main reason i am not going back to a 9700 from 9800 is the screen size. It is like night and day the size of the screen. The camera is also a big improvement.
    I agree with you. I have some issues with mine as well but I've gotten so used to the bigger screen and the improvements the new OS has brought that I can't go back. I use the universal search quite a bit and love being able to be in and out of things quickly via touch.
    10-16-10 01:44 PM
    Thanks so much for the reply. Because of it, I went down to my local AT&T store to check it out for myself and wow....I really, really liked it! I'm not eligible for an upgrade until April but I've been with AT&T for so long that I'm hoping they'll upgrade me early. This may be the perfect birthday gift to myself!
    I wasn't due for an upgrade until April as well...til I called them
    Call up CS and ask about early upgrades.

10-16-10 02:17 PM
    You may want to call AT&T and ask for a secured upgrade which means that you pay $50 above the 2 Yr. contract price. Don't wait until April. Start enjoying the Torch now. If the store won't do it, call AT&T and they will probably do it then ship it to you. I would try the store first.
    10-16-10 02:18 PM
    After using the Torch for over a month, I realize that most of the benefit is due to OS 6 (e.g., WebKit browser, notifications, universal search, connection manager on the home screen, etc.). Once I can get OS 6 for the Bold, I think I will sell the Torch and go back to the 9700. Here are some reasons:

* The Bold has all of the functionality, but in a smaller, lighter package (which is important since I carry this thing everywhere).

* The Bold has much better battery life.

* The Bold has 2 programmable convenience keys; the Torch only has one.

* I use the BlackBerry many times per day to quickly get information. Having to slide the screen up and down every time detracts from the Torch's productivity.

Someone who values entertainment over productivity will likely feel differently.
    I couldn't agree more. I think I'm going to stick with the 9800 for a while, seeing as I just got it yesterday! Obviously I need to give it a fair chance before going back to my 9700. But I totally agree with you about the productivity. The 9700 was much easier for me to pull out and use completely one handed. With the 9800 I have to fumble with the slider which is fine, it just takes longer. Although I enjoy the added bells and whistles, I'm more about simple and practical. I do like where RIM is going with this device though. I know this isn't intended to be an iPhone killer, but I think it could help keep quite a lot of Blackberry users from leaving their devices behind for an iPhone. OS 6 with the touch screen is very sleek.

Last edited by seaners; 10-16-10 at 06:43 PM.
    10-16-10 06:40 PM
    You may want to call AT&T and ask for a secured upgrade which means that you pay $50 above the 2 Yr. contract price. Don't wait until April. Start enjoying the Torch now. If the store won't do it, call AT&T and they will probably do it then ship it to you. I would try the store first.
    Thanks for the input, all. I just went to my AT&T store last night and they wouldn't give me the early upgrade price. I can do it for only an additional $200! (Insert sarcastic tone here) I'll probably call CS as suggested but may wait a bit longer. I'm still not 100% sold yet on the Torch. I'll continue to read up on it here on CB. My 9700 has been a flawless device for me, so I am not in a rush to upgrade at this point.

Thank you all for the input on the Torch. It really is a beautiful device and I'm sure I will eventually join the ranks!
    10-27-10 09:06 AM
    This weekend, I loaded OS 6 on my Bold 9700 and I like it so well that I am now almost certain that I will sell the Torch.

I miss the touch screen, but I don't miss the tradeoffs that RIM made to add the touch screen (the sloppiness and hassle of the slider mechanism, the increased weight and thickness, the reduced battery life, the reduced earpiece volume, the recessed keyboard, the shorter key action, the loss of a convenience button, and the difficulty of replacing a scratched screen bezel).

I am now more convinced than ever that the Dakota / Magnum / Motorola Droid Pro are the best form factor for a smart phone with both a keyboard and a touch screen.
    11-08-10 10:59 AM
    I got the Torch a couple of weeks ago, I love it but the in call volume and ringtone volumes are terrible, so annoying, I love everything else about it but it's a dealbreaker if I can't hear the bloody thing ringing!!! Gone back to my 9700.

11-08-10 03:33 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD