I want the torch reallll bad but....is it worth jumping ship from verizon just for the torch... verizon's line up of blackberries really isnt getting any better...and the torch keeps calling my name but ive heard so many bad things about at&t's network and overall customer service...so my question to you all is...is it really worth it or should i just keep waiting and hoping..with verizon..
    03-09-11 09:01 PM
    LOL the at&t network, at least where i live, is as good if not better than Verizon. their crap 1900 mhz cdma cannot even penetrate into buildings where the 850 GSM can. their customer service has always been good when i called.

frankly, i wouldnt be caught dead with verizon ever again and will never fork over another penny to them. they think they are the best thing ever to happen to mobile technology, yet reality is they have limited handsets, crippled software and are no better than any other company out there.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 03-09-11 at 09:34 PM.
    03-09-11 09:31 PM
    Well, for me, customer service is a real hit and miss.
    The most important thing though is that the network coverage is great for me. I haven't had any problems in that area. You'll want to check with others in your region who have at&t and see what experience they have had.

IMO, the Torch is an amazing phone and I love it. I'd say go to an at&t store and play around with the phone to get a feel for it and make sure you really love it (I'm sure you will ), then take a look at the phone plans before you decide.

Good luck with making a decision!
    03-09-11 09:31 PM
    I have ATT in PA for at least 10 yrs no probs whatsoever. I got the Torch because I didn't want to switch from att. Of course I'm glad I got it but it was kind of an accident; just wanted a new phone. Now I'm addicted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 10:10 PM
    don't switch carriers because of a phone..
    let me say that again. DON'T.
    having said that, here in New England AT&T is pretty strong, comparable if not better than Verizon.
    the only people complaining about the dropped calls are those who own iphones.
    i know this for a fact since i have own iphones up to 3GS and i have also owned a motorola razor that has never dropped any calls.

Another thing, are you enjoying any discounts from Verizon, AT&T have those too, depending on where you work, you might get from 24- 35% discount every month for your service
    03-09-11 10:16 PM
    I love the Torch and At&t has always worked great for me too in my area (Denver)! I've had 3 different BlackBerries (and a couple of non BB's before those) on the At&t network over the last several years and have never really had any complaints with the coverage. Similiar to the comment above, the only people I've heard complain about it are the ones with Iphones...

I would suggest asking BB owners on At&t in your area their thoughts on their coverage (and simply dismiss the At&t Iphone complaints...I seriously can't count all of the times some of my friends here couldn't get a signal, while my BB's have been crystal clear, literally sitting right next to them) :O
    03-09-11 11:52 PM
    T-Mobile is also an option if you feel comfortable with 2G-only. Just saying...

03-10-11 01:04 AM
    @anygivensunday,

you don't have to jump ship...
    Torch is not worth jumping carrier...

wait for more time...save some more money...
    few touch screen BB's are coming in CDMA flavours...
    Last edited by infinus; 03-10-11 at 01:10 AM.
    03-10-11 01:07 AM
    Life is short. Do what makes u happy. Love the torch, no problems w/att, but I'm biased. Can't stand ver***n. It like cussing to me.

03-10-11 01:56 AM
    @anygivensunday,

you don't have to jump ship...
    Torch is not worth jumping carrier...

wait for more time...save some more money...
    few touch screen BB's are coming in CDMA flavours...
    Its not Necessarily the touch screen I want. Its more of the screen I browse rhe web a lot and doin that on this bold is horrendous feel like I'm always closing one eye to get a better view and navigating it is jut ugh! Other than that I love it. I've never been a touch screen fan but the torch is best of both worlds I can still have my keyboard yes I know the bold touch is coming out but screen is pretty much same size same problem. Who knows. Guess ill marinate on it a little while longer thanks to all for the replies! And advice! Its much appreciated.

03-10-11 03:36 AM
    I would say weigh up the cost of the plans on AT&T in comparison to the plans on Verizon. Then ask around about the signal on AT&T (seems you should ignore the iPhone's dropped calls complaints). Then go round and play with the Torch. I own a Torch myself, on the O2-UK network, and it is good signal. But then again, O2-UK is good at penetrating in my area.
    03-10-11 04:44 AM
    Love my Torch and have always had great service and coverage with AT&T. Go for it!

03-10-11 04:50 AM
    I've been on ATT for nearly 20 years(Verizon didn't even know what upstate NY was up until 2 years ago). I have never had a dropped call and my experience with CS is second to none. My brother in law has big red and although his plan is somewhat cheaper, certian things i can do for free(included in my plan) they charge extra for, such as I can call any mobile number for free and he only has his "fave five" for free(not sure if that's just the way his plan is setup or if they even offer mobile to mobile for free?)

It's really whether you can afford to switch or not, its my understanding that ATT plans are slightly more expensive then a comparable big red plan. For all those saying better devices are coming to big red, still just rumors. If you really want the torch then go for it, you wont be disappointing.
    03-10-11 06:46 AM
    I think the op needs some people from GA to chime in on this. But don't change your network for a phone, if the network doesn't work well where you live then what do you have? Network first then phone.
    03-10-11 07:35 AM
    I agree that your carrier is usually more important than a device. But that doesn't mean you won't be satisfied by switching carriers. People hailed the iPhone availability with Verizon as some grand breakthrough. Only now is it known that Verizon speeds are slower, multi-tasking is limited (can't talk and use data simultaneously), etc.

I went from Nextel/Sprint to ATT when I got my Torch and have seen nothing but upside to the carrier switch. It's really dependent upon coverage in your area, and proximity of a retail branch where you can obtain support.
    03-10-11 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD