Thanks IWANTARIMWATCH ! Great info!!! I am running 534 and 33 apps, 4 email, with 6 apps that run all the time. I had to charge my phone every 3-4 hours, but since I did this, I haven't charged my phone for 13 hours and it's got 70%. I'm happy...very happy.
    05-07-11 10:30 AM
    Thanks IWANTARIMWATCH ! Great info!!! I am running 534 and 33 apps, 4 email, with 6 apps that run all the time. I had to charge my phone every 3-4 hours, but since I did this, I haven't charged my phone for 13 hours and it's got 70%. I'm happy...very happy.
    You are VERY welcome! I knew this would help a lot of people, and I wanted to share this info with everyone!
    laollis likes this.
    05-07-11 10:36 AM
    Last night it was legendary, but know it's just as how it used to be why is that? any opinion?
    edit: not only battery, also keeps spinning .. im a little disappointed honestly, i waited for this torch a lot and all the time i said okey iphone got applications but blackberry is a legend but now i say if only i bought iphone..
    Last edited by cesonmez; 05-07-11 at 12:13 PM.
    05-07-11 12:10 PM
    Last night it was legendary, but know it's just as how it used to be why is that? any opinion?
    Compression is still off right?
    05-07-11 12:12 PM
    Compression is still off right?
    yeah it is
    05-07-11 12:13 PM
    Stellar find. I have been fortunate - I managed decent battery life but was definately lacking a smooth fluid experience. I also experienced the clock quite often. Since disabling compression and encryption its as though the phone is on speed !!! Instant transitions, snappy, snappy, snappy and battery life is miraculous.

I'm 3G, GPS off, 9 very active email accounts, too many apps to mention, and my 1100 daytime minutes is ususally not enough each month. I USE my phone and this rather important discovery of yours makes a very BIG difference.

@cesonmez - you must have bigger issues than this. I have the iPhone 4 and it has never been able to hold a candle to my Torches battery life - and I use the Torch significantly more than the iPhone. Troubleshoot your other apps. Do you have BB protect - is it backing up too often? Is your GPS running all the time? Is the screen brightness too high? If you've exhausted all avenues - I would consider taking the phone in and having it replaced.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-11 02:10 PM
    Sorry for such a long post but i need some help with this..

i hope you can help me,
    backlight brightness: 0
    Backlight timeout 20 secs
    automatically dim backlight is checked
    led coverage indicator is unchecked
    AGAIN GPS IS OFF
    i actually never turn wifi on i got 4 gb data plan so don't need to

i got 12 themes installed but i dont think they drain the battery
    Apps:
    BBM,
    whatsapp,
    ubersocial(refreshes every 10 mins),
    facebook beta v2 (refreshes every 1 hour)
    foursquare
    social feeds it refreshes when i log in i guess since never get notification from that
    beweather(refreshes every 6 hours)
    got 21 games (never runs at background)
    got 9 media related apps which are again not stays at background
    got windows, yahoo,google,aol/aim i dont remember deleted others except wlm just now
    data monitor
    pattrenlock
    buzz me
    meterberry
    ram optimizer
    puzzed
    blackberry protect (backups weekly over wifi)
    app world, app stalker crackberry superstore and theme store
    dropbox
    quickpull screenmuncher text smileys touch flashlight

i dont let any app run at background just ubersocial and buzzme premium so is it normal that my battery drains so quickly, which part is wrong?

This is my second torch, other had battery issue 5 hours max lol?!?! but this is again nearly too low usage cant get more than 6.30 am to 5 pm even when i dont use.

edit: got 1 email account i get 30-50 emails every day
    Last edited by cesonmez; 05-07-11 at 02:27 PM.
    05-07-11 02:23 PM
    @cesonmez It could be those two apps running... I don't know anything about buzzme, but I remember back when I had UberTwitter (any version or update), it would drain my battery no matter what I tried.

05-07-11 07:56 PM
    Sorry for such a long post but i need some help with this..

i hope you can help me,
    backlight brightness: 0
    Backlight timeout 20 secs
    automatically dim backlight is checked
    led coverage indicator is unchecked
    AGAIN GPS IS OFF
    i actually never turn wifi on i got 4 gb data plan so don't need to

i got 12 themes installed but i dont think they drain the battery
    Apps:
    BBM,
    whatsapp,
    ubersocial(refreshes every 10 mins),
    facebook beta v2 (refreshes every 1 hour)
    foursquare
    social feeds it refreshes when i log in i guess since never get notification from that
    beweather(refreshes every 6 hours)
    got 21 games (never runs at background)
    got 9 media related apps which are again not stays at background
    got windows, yahoo,google,aol/aim i dont remember deleted others except wlm just now
    data monitor
    pattrenlock
    buzz me
    meterberry
    ram optimizer
    puzzed
    blackberry protect (backups weekly over wifi)
    app world, app stalker crackberry superstore and theme store
    dropbox
    quickpull screenmuncher text smileys touch flashlight

i dont let any app run at background just ubersocial and buzzme premium so is it normal that my battery drains so quickly, which part is wrong?

This is my second torch, other had battery issue 5 hours max lol?!?! but this is again nearly too low usage cant get more than 6.30 am to 5 pm even when i dont use.

edit: got 1 email account i get 30-50 emails every day
    I would remove any apps and themes you haven't used in the last 2 weeks. I would also try and remove the 2 apps discussed in the previous post as an experiment (you can even just remove them one by one) to see if they are the culprits.

05-07-11 08:58 PM
    @cesonmez It could be those two apps running... I don't know anything about buzzme, but I remember back when I had UberTwitter (any version or update), it would drain my battery no matter what I tried.

Really? What about rim's offical twitter app? I installed ubersocial the day I got phone so never used phone without it

05-08-11 02:10 AM
    Really? What about rim's offical twitter app? I installed ubersocial the day I got phone so never used phone without it

I've been using Twitter for BB, since it was a leaked version. It has never drained my battery. Everytime I tried Uber, it never failed to drain it almost instantly. The official Twitter app is not a bad way to go, honestly. It may help.

05-08-11 02:16 AM
    nvm screenshot failed, but from 4.10 am to 4.25 am there is -6 draining while I'm sleeping eventhough its like -1 in an hour beside that.

Last edited by cesonmez; 05-08-11 at 03:49 AM.
    05-08-11 02:27 AM
    Thank for the tip, also seems to work on my 9700 with .534 and a 16gb
    MicroSD card.

Not had the clock yet, hoping it helps battery drain since it was bad after the new Beta of Twitter v2 was installed.

Will report on any more findings.
    05-08-11 05:43 AM
    THANK YOU!! @ IWANTARIMWATCH ---Since I moved to 526 my battery life went from about 2 days to less than 6 hours even if it was just idling I got the spinning clock at random times and it even interrupted navigation ... I did what you suggested last night, shut off compression and removed the SD and then put back the SD. I left the phone alone fully charged and after 7 hours it was at 95%!!!! I haven't seen the spinning clock yet .. My Torch is back. I hope it lasts!
    05-08-11 08:36 AM
    @ifraser and @snj, you are very welcome! This tip should help all blackberry platforms across the board.
    As a side note, I too use the Beta v2 of Twitter.
    @cesonmez, I would also turn off the automatic backup in Blackberry Protect off and just do it manually just as an experiment.
    05-08-11 10:14 AM
    Wow that's awesome and I never thought about that

05-08-11 11:21 AM
    @ifraser and @snj, you are very welcome! This tip should help all blackberry platforms across the board.
    As a side note, I too use the Beta v2 of Twitter.
    @cesonmez, I would also turn off the automatic backup in Blackberry Protect off and just do it manually just as an experiment.
    So this has been driving me nuts for weeks with the same issue on the Torch. I finally gave up and switched back to my 9700 running .526 only to see the same issue the last week. This morning I upgraded to .534 in hopes that it would be better and it was slightly better but not much. Battery life has really been bad the last couple weeks which I attributed to the constant bluetooth connection to my Playbook. I saw this post a few minutes ago and performed the following procedure on my 9700 so we'll how it goes.

Disabled compression in options
    Removed Micro SD (Patriot 16gb if anyone is keeping track)
    Performed an alt+shft+del
    Reinserted Micro SD and double checked that compression is still off

It'll likely be tomorrow night before I know for sure if this works as I am traveling all day tomorrow but man I hope this works!!!

Many thanks IWANTARIMWATCH for your perseverance in chasing this and while it seems to help most it may not help all but if it helps anyone its a success!

PG
    05-08-11 04:35 PM
    I too disabled compression. No issues, that I'm aware, before (9800 (v6.0.0.546)). Seems faster w/ compression disabled.
    05-08-11 05:07 PM
    I'm trying this guys in 3..2.. , but I have one question.. Turning off compression will affect the Data use on my AT&T data plan?
    Jayman79 likes this.
    05-08-11 10:08 PM
    THANK YOU!! @ IWANTARIMWATCH ---Since I moved to 526 my battery life went from about 2 days to less than 6 hours even if it was just idling I got the spinning clock at random times and it even interrupted navigation ... I did what you suggested last night, shut off compression and removed the SD and then put back the SD. I left the phone alone fully charged and after 7 hours it was at 95%!!!! I haven't seen the spinning clock yet .. My Torch is back. I hope it lasts!

Just to update after 12 hours of just leaving it alone as a test I am at 80%, instead of a dead battery as it has been since the update. The work week will be the real test since it is my business device and is used all day.
    05-08-11 10:22 PM
    @SNJ- thank you for the update!
    @chmomiami- it should not affect your data usage, as it is compressing media already on your device or micro-sd card.
    05-09-11 12:21 AM
    what is the downside? Why do bb themselves recommend it should be left checked?

05-09-11 12:37 AM
    what is the downside? Why do bb themselves recommend it should be left checked?

Compression has been around before blackberries started implementing micro-sd cards, and were originally used for device memory. Back then, they did not, and could not, calculate the effect of compression when using large amounts of stored data on, for example, a 16gb micro-sd card. Unfortunately, the compression backfires when using these micro-sd cards, and causes the blackberry to constantly work to compress these extremely large sizes of data. This not only makes the blackberry sluggish, but also drains the battery at the same time. So far, I have not experienced any negative/adverse effects of turning the compression off.
    05-09-11 12:54 AM
    So do I have to remove my card or can I simply just turn compression off?
    05-09-11 09:44 AM
    So do I have to remove my card or can I simply just turn compression off?
    I just turned it off...no SD card removal required
    05-09-11 09:59 AM
150 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD