I turned off and my "rapid battery drain" and constant spinning clock appear to have vanished! Went to bed last night with 95% battery, and woke up this morning to 90%!

I haven't noticed any difference with compression off (I have a 16GB SD).

Reminds me of the old PC "Disk Doubler" that used to compress files on your hard drive, but when the disk got full, really dragged down PC performance.
    05-06-11 09:12 AM
    I'll give it a try, my battery drains a lot and if this helps i don't know what to say this is the best thread ever lol!
    05-06-11 02:22 PM
    I had this problem after someone who will not be mentioned thought it would funny to put my password in wrong enough times that my phone wiped itself... I restored a backup from a month ago, updated the certificates, updated programs, synched my contacts, set everything back up, etc... But despite my troubleshooting and numerous battery pulls, my phone would give me the "busy watch" every single time the backlight came back on for like 10 seconds or more. Plus my battery was wearing down like crazy! I found this thread, but I never had compression turned on in the first place!

So my steps were as follows: I turned compression ON, saved, turned compression back OFF, saved, then pressed menu and did "Repair". That ran for a bit, then eventually said the repair was successful. I then did "Safely remove media card" from the menu, pulled the battery and the SD card, stuck them back in, and VIOLA! Seems to be fixed (I think)!

Not sure which part did the trick, but there's a couple more things people can try!

Thanks OP!
    05-06-11 03:01 PM
    Erhm, i got meterberry and it works fine (i know cuz i used in the past) my battery is 99+ which means 100% for more than half an hour. Before i unselected compression, even when i didnt use the phone it was draining 1% in each 15 mins im kinda scared maybe my device doesn't show the draining nomore? :S Is that even possible?

Or is that normal? im using the phone for half an hour and still 99+ :S
    05-06-11 03:32 PM
    Your Torch is not showing your battery draining anymore because your battery is not draining anymore!

I'm telling you guys... my Torch was more like a Turtle before, and after turning the Compression off, it is a Thoroughbred!!!
    05-06-11 03:35 PM
    Your Torch is not showing your battery draining anymore because your battery is not draining anymore!

I'm telling you guys... my Torch was more like a Turtle before, and after turning the Compression off, it is a Thoroughbred!!!
    Are you sure, i'm not a dumb but whatever i tried with my torch i couldn't help draining this is like a dream lol ?? Still not convinced, it'd be 94 normally by now.
    05-06-11 03:38 PM
    I'm 100% sure... I've been testing it for the last 2 days straight now. Wait 24 hours and then you can thank me...officially!
    05-06-11 03:40 PM
    I'll tell you the result tomorrow then haha i hope you're right. It looks like its stuck at 99+ hehe
    05-06-11 03:41 PM
    Wow you were right after 1 hour of heavy usage it dropped to 99% THIS IS THE BEST THREAD EVER I SWEAR.
    05-06-11 03:52 PM
    Not sure it has made no difference to me - upgraded last night. Battery consumption awful. Did compression thing battery life still bad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 03:57 PM
    Not sure it has made no difference to me - upgraded last night. Battery consumption awful. Did compression thing battery life still bad.

Did you upgrade to a new OS last night? If so, you need to go through a few battery pulls before the OS stabilizes. Once it has, then make sure you don't mark the box that says "Compression" (in other words, don't let the Torch Compress the data). It has made a world of a difference for me and many other users on this forum... so just wanted to make sure you wen through the right steps. Obivously there are other factors that can contribute to battery drain (Twitter feeds, Facebook, etc., and other apps that are on or run all the time).
    05-06-11 04:02 PM
    Well it drained 2% in last 15 minutes even though it was ok last 1 hour why? :/ Dream is over pff..
    05-06-11 04:15 PM
    Well it drained 2% in last 15 minutes even though it was ok last 1 hour why? :/ Dream is over pff..
    Like I said, wait 24 hours and then judge. I waited and tested before posting my findings, so I think that would be the prudent thing to do!
    metroside likes this.
    05-06-11 04:19 PM
    Like I said, wait 24 hours and then judge. I waited and tested before posting my findings, so I think that would be the prudent thing to do!
    okeeyi startup took 9% of battery tho hehe
    05-06-11 04:26 PM
    Gonna give this a try, will post back and report my findings. Thanks!!
    05-06-11 04:44 PM
    Gonna give this a try, will post back and report my findings. Thanks!!
    Please do!
    05-06-11 04:58 PM
    Lovely, this worked (for now). Thanks for the post.
    05-06-11 06:11 PM
    UPDATE: OK, nevermind...

My phone is back to pausing for 10-20 seconds whenever I bring it out of the BB magnetic case... This is frustrating!!! I can't believe I'm going to have to reinstall everything again... ARGH!!!
    05-06-11 08:11 PM
    Yes I waited. Yes I did the pulls - using alt shift delete should I do physical batt pull? - yes it is after an upgrade to 546 from 526 and without twitter etc

Down to a drain of 2% an hour ob 526 I could get to 1% in bedside mode -i will persevere though

05-07-11 02:04 AM
    My question is for the op, do you have 3g on and gps? How many apps do you have running and how many emails are you monitoring? If you have your phone running hard, and you still have noticed significantly less battery drain... I would then say it is a success.

05-07-11 03:02 AM
    I changed mine even though wasn't sure if Torch was running slow or battery was suffering.But rebooted and that appeared to be quicker and it does seem a bit more frisky now :-)
    05-07-11 03:15 AM
    Thank you all for the informations.
    05-07-11 08:06 AM
    My question is for the op, do you have 3g on and gps? How many apps do you have running and how many emails are you monitoring? If you have your phone running hard, and you still have noticed significantly less battery drain... I would then say it is a success.

I am a heavy user. Both 3G and GPS are on. I have 4 email accounts with heavy usage. Prior to turning the compression off, I would have to plug my phone in the charger at 2pm as it was close to fully drained. The battery drain was being caused by the constant spinning clock, because obviously the Torch was constantly working on "something". That "something" happened to be the compression, because once I disabled it, no more spinning clock, and I don't have to charge my phone until I go to sleep at night. My Torch is glued to me from when I wake up until I sleep, and is constantly being used. For me, it is definitely a big success, as there's a night and day difference on how my Torch is running (snappier and substantially longer battery life).
    laollis likes this.
    05-07-11 10:04 AM
    It seems as if we have similar setups. I am running 4 email accounts, and I have gps and 3g on all the time. In addition to that I have about 23 apps installed with 2 of them constantly running in the background. It has been about 24hrs since I disabled compression and "safely removed" my sim card systematically. I hope this helps me out too. Normally my phone is fully charged at 6am and at 6pm its about 75% with no usage because its in my car the whole time while I am at work.
    05-07-11 10:20 AM
    I forgot to mention that I have about 20 apps installed with 3 of them (besides the native apps) running all the time. Also, my Bluetooth is on all the time.
    05-07-11 10:24 AM
150 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD