Is there any way to turn off the screen button when you are on the phone? THere have been a couple of times where I accidentally muted calls when I was in the middle of a conversation.
    12-26-10 11:45 PM
    i have the same problem, what i do now is just push the back button and press yes on the promt. that way your on your home screen instead of being on the screen with the 4 options.
    12-27-10 12:30 AM
    when you put your phone to your face during a call it should activate a proximity sensor and turn off the screen to prevent pressing the screen.

what OS do you guys have on your 9800's?
    12-27-10 12:43 AM
    This is a known issue with screen protectors covering the proximity sensor. There is a small sensor right next to the LED, called a proximity sensor. This sensor detects being covered and blacks out the screen when in a call.

An easy test is make a call(Somewhere you know no one will answer, like your house), place your finger over the entire top of the device right over the speaker and led. If the screen blacks out, your just not holding it on your face, if the screen doesn't black out, you either have a screen protector blocking it or a defective proximity sensor.
    Nina0717 likes this.
    12-27-10 06:51 AM
    The AGF GRT case interferes with it also, not a lot but it does happen. I have put a couple people on hold by mistake, I just blame it on their iphone.
    12-27-10 07:12 AM
    The AGF GRT case interferes with it also, not a lot but it does happen. I have put a couple people on hold by mistake, I just blame it on their iphone.
    I noticed this also, but my problem was it went into "black out" mode too easily with the AGF case. Almost like the AGF case was half covering it to begin with.
    12-27-10 07:16 AM
    I see a lot of people who uses those privacy screen protector and the proximity sensor will not work

- Charles
    12-27-10 07:20 AM
    I don't have a screen protector and this still happens.....either speaker or mute.....only occassionally. I have .246.
    12-29-10 12:07 PM
    I don't have a screen protector and this still happens.....either speaker or mute.....only occassionally. I have .246.
    This is a known issue with screen protectors covering the proximity sensor. There is a small sensor right next to the LED, called a proximity sensor. This sensor detects being covered and blacks out the screen when in a call.

An easy test is make a call(Somewhere you know no one will answer, like your house), place your finger over the entire top of the device right over the speaker and led. If the screen blacks out, your just not holding it on your face, if the screen doesn't black out, you either have a screen protector blocking it or a defective proximity sensor.
    See above testing options, applies even if you do not have a screen protector. If your screen doesn't black out while in a call and you tried the above test, its defective take it back for a replacement.
    12-29-10 12:31 PM
    Do we know if this applies to some of the better quality, clear screen protectors/films? I plan on using a coupon I got from getting one put on my 9700 to get one on the screen of my 9800, however it's nearly totally clear, and didn't interfere with a friends iPhone 4 (yuck!).
    12-29-10 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD