Hey all,

So when I first got my Torch last February, I fell in love with it. As summer started I started getting frustrated with my phone as that's really when the problems started, recently problems became worse and worse.

The main issue is that sometimes when there is an incoming message (SMS or Email), the phone will freeze (with the little "thinking" dial) for about a minute, and finally give me the message - or crash the messaging app, or both.

Recently, though (about a month ago), and completely randomly, the phone stopped allowing me to send images. I've always been able to send them, but now I cannot (it says "Message content exceeds size limit"). I just went to the AT&T store yesterday and they gave me the newest SIM card (mine was still a Cingular one haha), but it didn't solve the issue and they're at a loss as to why it won't send messages other than the fact its a Blackberry.

When the issue first started, I upgraded to a new OS (newer than what is for AT&T) - 6.0.0.668, platform 6.6.0.236, and that did nothing other than make my battery life even worse.

I'm at my wit's end with this phone and there are multiple times during the day I wish I could A) throw the phone, B) smash the phone into the ground C) run it over with my car and/or D) all of the above. What can I do to make this thing run like it used to? Factory reset? Or should I just ditch it and get the Atrix 2 I've been looking at.

Thanks!
    01-27-12 08:21 AM
    How many apps do you have open?
    01-27-12 08:32 AM
    I don't normally leave anything open really. Everything is closed when I'm done using the app.
    01-27-12 08:40 AM
    I understand your frustration

I have the 9800. For me it's a great very useful phone but there have been a couple of times when things 'one day' stopped working properly and it always started after a 'corrupt' download of some app - my phone became laggy and that little hour glass seemed to appear too often.

Firstly...here are three maintenance things for the phone
    1. In the universal search bar type "Memory Cleaner", use this native app
    2. On you keyboard, with one finger on "alt", type "lglg" with the other finger. The Event Log will show-up. From the menu pick "Clear Log". Then close it.
    ***Memory Cleaner and Event Log, should be cleaned regularly.
    3. you should clear your browser cache every so often

Reload you factory OS. I'm running 6.0.0.448 and it's good. But as long as you're reloading the OS try the latest version from crackberry 6.0.0.706 :roll eyes:

I can recall one flashlight app that made my camera non-functioning until I rebooted the phone. FYI the video camera can be used as a flashlight - in video camera mode, go to Options and choose light to stay on
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-27-12 at 09:09 AM.
    01-27-12 09:03 AM
    All right, cleared all the logs (though 2 stay, I'm assuming these are the ironic logs of clearing the logs), but when I search for memory cleaner, it doesn't appear.
    01-27-12 09:08 AM
    Nevermind, I enabled it and now I'm able to use it.
    01-27-12 09:15 AM
    Clearing the Logs isn't always a necessity... The log file is limited to 200kb, so clearing it doesn't have a big effect on available memory. Otherwise the steps listed are good to follow.

Like it was stated above, make sure that you close out of every application properly to keep the 9800 running properly. Simply pressing the red "end" key does NOT close down an application, rather it "minimizes" it and allows it to run in the background. Always back out of your apps using the back key to the right of the trackpad, or by pressing menu, and close.

There are some apps that require you to close them using the option in the popup menu. Apps such as Google Maps, Pandora, Slacker, Foursquare, BB Traffic all require you to press the menu key, and select Exit, or Shut Down Pandora/Slacker. If you do not do this, those apps will not properly close out.

Press and hold the BB/menu key to the left of your trackpad to launch your application switcher. Picture that as your taskbar on a Window's PC. This is where you will see everything that your device has running at any particular time. The only open apps should be Home, Browser, Phone, BBM, and Messages. Any others that are open need to be closed.

You may already know this stuff, but it's good to list this for those who may not know about it all...
    01-27-12 10:37 AM
    Yep, whenever I close an app, I either close it out via the menu or by holding the escape key. Generally I hold the Blackberry button to see if it closed or not as well.
    01-27-12 11:51 AM
    Do you have an sd card in your phone? Sometimes that can become corrupted and you will need to reformat it or even replace it.
    01-27-12 01:15 PM
    Yep, have the 4GB card it came with it.
    01-27-12 01:20 PM
    great info guys. I never knew any of this. I had all sorts of apps running and ended up closing them all properly and now all i show is what was mentioned in one of the previous post. Maybe I'll see an improvement
    01-27-12 06:12 PM
    You can also check the options, phone, apps to see which app is using much cpu resource.
    This way i found the applock app to be very faulty and ditched it. After both battery life and overall speed increased by a lot.

Otherwise, dich every app by one at the time. Starting by the least used and needed.

For me everything is working ok, except for the browser and app world. So i use Opera mini browser and the version 2 of app world.
    01-28-12 02:10 PM
    How many texts and mms messages do you have saved?? My daughter complained about her BB being slow and doing wierd things and I found she had 20,497 texts on her phone!!! deleted them and the phone works fine! go figure haha....
    01-28-12 09:27 PM
    In my experience everytime my phone acts up it is because of an app that has bugs.. Either you should clear all your apps and reload them and test run your phone.. I always have sucess with this when I get rid of a buggy app.
    01-28-12 09:39 PM
    How would I find out how many messages I have saved on the phone?

So how do I determine what app it is?

Also, the other day, I went to go leave work to pick my girlfriend up, and the phone was doing its normal freeze, so I got sick of it being frozen for over a minute and rebooted it. Waited for it to start back up on the 3 minute drive, and it was done by the time I got to her work. It proceeded to basically sit there with no ability to do anything on screen at all, completely useless. So I had to do a battery pull, and wait for it to restart AGAIN, and then it took about 5 minutes before I was even able to go into the contact list and make a call (because it wasn't allowing me to search her name or text anybody).

This thing is garbage, I just want to do destructive things to it.
    02-02-12 08:55 AM
    I had a huge problem of lag and long long reboots.

I backed up.

Factory reset.

I found I had 180 apps loaded.

I started loading what I really needed. Total - 18 apps

I have since loaded 2 more.

My battery life only really sucks hard when I tether to PB.

Other than that - keeping things cleaned up makes my 9800 just like new.

Also my carrier has alot to do with speeds ect.
    02-03-12 11:20 AM
    I'm going Android!
    02-07-12 10:10 AM
    So, when I got about a factory reset, will it reload all of my apps, or do I have to do that manually?
    02-07-12 10:14 AM
    factory reset is just that, so yes, you will have to load the apps you want....all over again.
    02-07-12 10:17 AM
    All right, so that would be the optimal time to load the newest OS as well.

Just stumbled onto a thread about all the lagging issues and turned off the file compression. Lets see if that does anything...
    02-07-12 10:19 AM
    Turning off file compression seems to have gotten rid of a lot of the lagging and battery problems.

Still couldn't send pictures, so I backed up, wiped all the data from the phone and restored it. Bam, now I can send pictures again. I also updated to 6.0.0.706, which seems to have sped things up rather well so far (I hear it had a big browser update...what did it change?).

So far so good. Thanks for all the help everyone!
    02-10-12 08:24 AM
    Bookmark..
    02-15-12 06:26 PM
    i had a short play with torch 1 back in 2010 for a few days.it was the first time i used a touchscreen/keyboard combo device.it was good feel but it was lagging a lot and slow so i returned it.but if you hate this phone so much,get the torch 2 9810.you won't regret it one bit at all.this torch has it all.rim keeps improving the torch series.got to love it.
    02-16-12 02:26 AM
    I'm sure the 9810 is better than this, but the manager at my AT&T store actually had the 9810 pulled from his shelves and told AT&T not to send him anymore due to all of its problems. The issue is with Blackberry and the fact that they don't update like Android and iOS does. Not to mention, the hardware is still out of date.

My phone was doing good, and still is a lot better than before, I can send pictures again, and the phone is livable. But it still exhibits frustrating issues like the occasional hourglass freeze/lag, the phone forgetting what battery is has and going from 50% to showing 5% or so (a battery pull resets this). To me, it has two strikes again. Not to mention, I can still probably get $100 for the phone on eBay, so if I buy an Atrix 2, I'm out virtually nothing.
    02-16-12 07:46 AM
    The issue is with Blackberry and the fact that they don't update like Android and iOS does. Not to mention, the hardware is still out of date.
    This is just ignorant. Don't you see all the OS "leaks" here on Crackberry? Android and iOS are definitely not updating with as much frequency as RIM. In fact, with many Android devices, you have to be rooted in order to even update the OS. Apple certainly doesn't update iOS with nearly the frequency either.
    02-16-12 07:31 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD