This is apparently a big problem with the Torch phones. I have already returned one for the sole reason that I could not remove the back battery panel/cover. I'm about to exchange my second...really frustrated. The strange thing is, the black one I had came off fine, but the two whites ones I've had absolutely would not come off. WTF??? Has anyone figured out why they're sticking?
    03-06-11 08:42 PM
    i've dealt with the same issue. Only had to open it twice. First time was a breeze, but second time took over 10 mins for sure, if not 15 after including how long it took to pop the battery out as well lol.. and i felt as though I was going to break the cover while sticking my fingernail under the crack to pop it out
    03-06-11 09:35 PM
    youd think all torch owners would be pro's by now with all of the battery pulls we have to do because of our buggy machines!! hahaha
    03-06-11 10:03 PM
    I used to have the same issue but figured out an easy way to remove the back cover.. Slide the phone open, rotate it upside down so the keyboard is facing the ceiling and the screen is facing the floor.. flip the phone so that the screen is facing away from you and the back of the phone is facing you.. grab the bottom (which is now the top) of the keyboard, and use your thumbs to simply slide off the back cover

works 60% of the time, everytime.
    03-06-11 10:28 PM
    I had exactly the same issue.

I ended up finding one of those rubber things that you use to wrap around a very tightly-closed jar to give you a really good grip, and putting that on top of the Torch cover, it slid off with no effort whatsoever, and I wasn't worried about any scratches since it's rubber.

You can get one cheaply at any kitchen supply store (or Dollar Store too I imagine).
    03-07-11 10:35 AM
    The Torch battery cover isn't designed for removal exept by RIM.
    You can only do it with a large screwdriver, and some elbow grease.
    But it does come off... Keep trying...
    then how are you supposed to insert your sim card / media card?????

OP -> you just apply light pressure, and slide downward...

unless you have glued it, or dropped your bb maybe, there really should not be an issue...
    03-15-11 07:36 PM
    then how are you supposed to insert your sim card / media card?????

OP -> you just apply light pressure, and slide downward...

unless you have glued it, or dropped your bb maybe, there really should not be an issue...
    First of all, I agree that TELUS are crooks. LOL LOL

Second, there IS a simple solution, I posted it earlier in this thread. All you need to do is go to a dollar store or something like that and get one of those flat rubber "bumpy" pads that you use to grip the top of a tightly-screwed on cap. Rubbermaid makes one. If you get one, then all you do is lay it down on the battery cover and use THAT as the pressure point, so put your two thumbs on either side of it and slide it out. Works like a charm. Plus it won't scratch the phone since it's rubber.
    03-16-11 10:28 AM
    okay what i do is i dry my hands "no sweaty palms"
    then i lock my phone
    then i put only my thumbs on the battery door(index fingers on the little part where the company logo is (where it says at&t)and other fingers on screen)
    then i push with my thumbs
    try it hope it helps
    Last edited by JeremyAranda9800; 03-17-11 at 07:39 PM.
    03-17-11 07:37 PM
    ok, on a serious note.. aside from those that dont understand sarcasm as a joke, cant take a joke or can only post to flame others posts with out posting anything constructive....

I have had my black torch for 6 months now and have no problem removing the battery cover. My girlfriend just bought the RED torch and I can hardly get that cover off, let alone she cant either being new to the BB and torch. Like another poster said earlier, she has a WHITE torch and has the same issue. Why RIM didnt make the batt covers on the red and white ones with the rubbery texture also, who knows. Again, as someone mentioned before, go buy some of that rubbery stuff to help open jars and use it or something similiar to get some "grip" on the cover.
    mrskittens likes this.
    03-18-11 03:42 PM
    Why RIM didnt make the batt covers on the red and white ones with the rubbery texture also, who knows.
    That's an easy one, it would change the look of the paint job, which wouldn't match up with the rest of the phone. If they made the entire phone rubberized, then the paint job of the entire phone would not look as nice.

The glossy look is what helps the red and white look better. It's less of a concern on a black device. And odds are very likely that most will value aesthetics when buying a flash red or white device...
    03-18-11 03:44 PM
    No thanks for the sarcasm.

I had my Bold for two years and the back slid right off easily.

I absolutely cannot remove my white Torch battery cover myself. My strong husband says it's ridiculously hard and he is a senior network administrator for a Fortune 100 company.

There are enough threads here and all over the net saying the same thing, to make it clear that at least some batches of these were made poorly. Maybe not all, but some.
    07-13-11 12:57 AM
    Thread cleaned up.
    If you're not here to help, there's no need to comment.
    Sheesh people, courtesy should be common sense.
    mrskittens and Harryl6134 like this.
    07-13-11 01:08 AM
    I did struggle for few minute then i see you guys mean black got rubber.... so why cant i try some rubber on the white one... so i did start looking for anything which will look like a rubber... and Yahoo.... Sponge Make Up Wedges (http://misvie.files.wordpress.com/20...onges_full.jpg)....

It worked like a bomb!!!! i can open it less than a second... so easily with those sponge...
    07-15-11 01:43 PM
    ok, on a serious note.. aside from those that dont understand sarcasm as a joke, cant take a joke or can only post to flame others posts with out posting anything constructive....

I have had my black torch for 6 months now and have no problem removing the battery cover. My girlfriend just bought the RED torch and I can hardly get that cover off, let alone she cant either being new to the BB and torch. Like another poster said earlier, she has a WHITE torch and has the same issue. Why RIM didnt make the batt covers on the red and white ones with the rubbery texture also, who knows. Again, as someone mentioned before, go buy some of that rubbery stuff to help open jars and use it or something similiar to get some "grip" on the cover.
    I did struggle for few minute then i see you guys mean black got rubber.... so why cant i try some rubber on the white one... so i did start looking for anything which will look like a rubber... and Yahoo.... Sponge Make Up Wedges (http://misvie.files.wordpress.com/20...onges_full.jpg)....

It worked like a bomb!!!! i can open it less than a second... so easily with those sponge... so ask u gf to buy some of those
    07-15-11 02:03 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD