I apologize if this has been asked before. I recently got a blackberry torch after 2 years with iPhone and i am still on the fence whether to keep it or return it. I think the overall idea behind this device is really cool and there are a lot of nice features that i love. However as others have pointed out, there are three things that are simply too annoying -

1. Screen resolution
    2. Processor
    3. Apps like Pandora not being compatible with the phone

Anyways, this post is not intended as a Rant and as I mentioend earlier i am right unsure whether i will keep it at the end of my trial or not. Apart from above three problems, the fact that 70% of the time, text appears way too zoomed out is bugging the crap out of me. Example - when i get an email with say HTML content on it, upon choosing to receive images, i always have to zoom out (pinch out). Is there a setting i can change so that my email always fits the screen? This applies to other areas of the phone as well e.g. i tried to look up the solution to this problem in the on board email help section. The kicker was - even that help section is way too zoomed out :-)

I'd really appreciate any help.
    09-23-10 03:33 PM
    Couple of thoughts:
    1. If you've been on an iPhone for 2 years, then you've been looking at a resolution of 480x320 all that time. The Torch has 480x360 on a slightly *smaller* screen, which means it would look better. So this makes no sense, or are you just repeating what you've heard from others?
    2. Is the processor speed a real concern of yours, i.e. is it truly going to affect anything you do? Probably not. Again, a big complaint of many, and justified from a pure marketing/spec sheet perspective. But imho, this is a tempest in a teacup, as it has practically no impact on 99.9% of users.
    3. Apps are clearly in iPhone's favor, but there is a nice and diverse mixture of apps for BB. Pandora will certainly be out soon for OS6.

To zoom in our out on any HTML or web page, or image file, simply double tap the area you want to see. The device will automatically resize and wrap text as needed.

Give BB a chance, but ultimately, use what works best for you.
    09-23-10 09:45 PM
    09-23-10 10:15 PM
    I have been an iPhone user since day 1. I bought the Torch on launch day, but ended up returning it. I am actually considering getting it again after not being happy with the iPhone4 and really wanting to use something different than my iPhone3G. I've come to like the physical keyboard, but I have found myself really missing a touch screen after using the 9700.

1. I'd have to say the resolution of the Torch is on par with the iPhone3G/3GS. The iPhone does appear to be more 'vibrant' mainly because of the more detailed icons with iOS vs OS6. Compared to other phones like the iPhone4 or captivate you will see a big difference in the resolution. Sure it would be nice if the Torch had better resolution.

2. Processor speed really made a difference comparing browsing on iPhone3G vs iPhone4 using same WiFi. I felt like the Torch was on par with the iPhone3G which did well for the sites I visited. Of course browsing is faster with a better processor but I am not sure the battery life hit is worth it. It really depends on what you do with it.
    09-24-10 04:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD