Hi,
    I've seen dozens of net videos on how to set a pic in yer BB media folder as wallpaper, (so easy peasy), but NEVER how to GET a pic FROM your PC desktop, using the Desktop Manager. I wud like to xfer into either the media / pictures or media / wallpaper folders. I have the original blue AT&T BB logo now, but want to try other wallpaper, BUT be able to GO BACK, and I can't do that unless I can get my AT&T logo into the wallpaper folder.

I wud appreciate if someone wud give me a "step by step" sequence on HOW to do this?

I have my BB on my desk. My PC is running and I have the USB xfer cable plugged in, OK? To start, do I first plug the cable into my BB, or do I first run BB Desktop Manager? Than what? I've tried everything.

I really think I should be able to SEE the contents of the wallpaper folder, or other folders, on my BB when it's plugged into the Desktop Manager. How to do that? If you can't, it seems to me the "file Transfer" capability is all but worthless? To xfer files you need to see the folders at both ends, like when doing a windows xfer.

Thank you,
    03-05-11 09:42 AM
    Once the BB is plugged in, the internal storage and SD card should be shown as a removable drives in My Computer. Open the up and go to Blackberry > Pictures. Drag the pic from your PC to that folder on your BB. Unhook the BB from the PC. Go into Media > pictures on your BB and you should see it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    linda anne likes this.
    03-05-11 12:14 PM
    Once the BB is plugged in, the internal storage and SD card should be shown as a removable drives in My Computer. Open the up and go to Blackberry > Pictures. Drag the pic from your PC to that folder on your BB. Unhook the BB from the PC. Go into Media > pictures on your BB and you should see it...

Hi and THANK YOU !! I am now part way there. I did manage to copy an image from my PC to my BB. But, I don't understand a few things more. When I plug in my USB to my BB, I had 3 menu choices; I picked the USB one. Now I get TWO boxes on my PC screen. One is titled "BLACKBERRY1 G:" and another is titled "Removable Disk F:." On each of them I can choose, among other things, "Open folder to view files." I tried each, and BOTH have many folders inside, and each has a "Blackberry" folder. However, only the "Removable Disk F:" has a "Pictures" folder inside. What ARE these two different things that open, the F: and the G: ?? I suspect that F: is my media card. If I look inside my BB Media / Pictures folder, while plugged into my PC, I don't see ALL the pics I see when I unplug the USB cable. I suspect that is becuz some of the pics are on my media card? Is that true? I sure wish I could SEE and transfer images directly from my desktop to the actual "Wallpaper" folder on my BB. I can find no way to do THAT yet.

Your comments have been VERY helpful as yours have got me closer to knowing what is what than anything I've seen on the net.
    03-05-11 02:24 PM
    For BLACKBERRY1 G: pictures folder, go to: home>user>pictures.
    Last edited by BBRYCnvnedMe; 03-05-11 at 02:50 PM.
    03-05-11 02:35 PM
    (G) should be your Device's memory. (F) should be your SD card; if I am not mistaken. The pictures you seem to be missing are most likely on your SD Card.

Mind you, pictures you have taken with your Torch camera will be in a differing folder. To get to those, go: (Blackberry1 G:>home>user>camera); if your camera is set to store pictures taken on your Device's memory.

If they are stored on your SD Card, go to: (Removable Disk F:>Blackberry>camera).

I think that is correct! This can be very confusing at times...
    Last edited by BBRYCnvnedMe; 03-05-11 at 02:50 PM.
    linda anne likes this.
    03-05-11 02:47 PM
    For BLACKBERRY1 G: pictures folder, go to: home>user>pictures.
    Thank you! MORE good input. The "BLACKBERRY1 G:" drive leads me to the "pvdata" folder inside the Pictures folder. Another one of use.

I sure wish you cud simply see the "Wallpaper" folder inside the Media / Pictures folder. Why is it totally hidden and you can't see it, or xfer a pic to it. ?? Geez, this arcane pic filing system reminds me of DOS cmnds, God forbid! Hahaha

TY!
    03-05-11 03:08 PM
    You can always go back to the att background by selecting reset wallpaper in the home screen options. Fyi

03-05-11 03:13 PM
    Glad I could help! I try when I can...

The "BLACKBERRY1 G:" drive leads me to the "pvdata" folder inside the Pictures folder. Another one of use.
    Not sure what you are meaning by this?? What is the "pvdata" folder? Never heard of that one!
    linda anne likes this.
    03-05-11 03:26 PM
    (G) should be your Device's memory. (F) should be your SD card; if I am not mistaken. The pictures you seem to be missing are most likely on your SD Card.

Mind you, pictures you have taken with your Torch camera will be in a differing folder. To get to those, go: (Blackberry1 G:>home>user>camera); if your camera is set to store pictures taken on your Device's memory.

If they are stored on your SD Card, go to: (Removable Disk F:>Blackberry>camera).

I think that is correct! This can be very confusing at times...
    Gee, your LAST line makes me VERY happy! <giggles> I am so glad I'm not the ONLY one confused about this "DOS-like" Media / Pictures methodology. Hahahah THANK YOU for another chunk of info! The only thing missing now is the "secret code" to use to SEE the contents of your BB "Wallpaper" folder on your PC desktop. WHY OH WHY is RIM so devious?
    03-05-11 03:27 PM
    Glad I could help! I try when I can...

Not sure what you are meaning by this?? What is the "pvdata" folder? Never heard of that one!
    If I do not have my BB tied to my PC via USB, and then go to Media / Pictures, I have FOUR different folders inside, below the icon to turn on the camera. They are: "Camera Pictures," "Picture Library," "Wallpaper," and "pvdata."

On the bottom left of the screen, just above the green call button, is a tiny "folder-like" icon. If you click it, with your finger, these four folders go away and I then see two new ones: "This Month," and "February 2011." I dunno why "March 2011" is not there.

It is possible the folder "pvdata" was created somehow when I got an e-mail with a pic attached and went thru the d/l process. I'm not sure. All of this is becoming more and more like reading a DOS Thesaurus or something worse.
    03-05-11 03:43 PM
    If I do not have my BB tied to my PC via USB, and then go to Media / Pictures, I have FOUR different folders inside, below the icon to turn on the camera. They are: "Camera Pictures," "Picture Library," "Wallpaper," and "pvdata."

On the bottom left of the screen, just above the green call button, is a tiny "folder-like" icon. If you click it, with your finger, these four folders go away and I then see two new ones: "This Month," and "February 2011." I dunno why "March 2011" is not there.

It is possible the folder "pvdata" was created somehow when I got an e-mail with a pic attached and went thru the d/l process. I'm not sure. All of this is becoming more and more like reading a DOS Thesaurus or something worse.
    Okay, I understand what you are saying. In the Blackberry's main Pictures screen, not the exploring screen... Gotcha. I have: Camera Pictures/Picture Library/Wallpaper. No "pvdata". Hmmmm.

That tiny "folder-like" icon changes the view from Folder to Monthly view. It doesn't show March 2011 until April 2011 comes around. I have: This Month/February 2011/January 2011/2010. It sorts the pictures on your device by the time/month they were added/taken.

Haha! The "pvdata" is interesting, for sure...
    03-05-11 04:02 PM
    Okay, I understand what you are saying. In the Blackberry's main Pictures screen, not the exploring screen... Gotcha. I have: Camera Pictures/Picture Library/Wallpaper. No "pvdata". Hmmmm.

That tiny "folder-like" icon changes the view from Folder to Monthly view. It doesn't show March 2011 until April 2011 comes around. I have: This Month/February 2011/January 2011/2010. It sorts the pictures on your device by the time/month they were added/taken.

Haha! The "pvdata" is interesting, for sure...
    Wonders never cease, huh? the "pvdata" is arcane, like many DOS cmnds of old. Hahaha Oh well, thanks to all the forum help I did manage to get the wallpaper pic I wanted in place. I just think it should have been a lot easier.
    03-05-11 04:33 PM
    It is

03-05-11 05:07 PM
    Gee, your LAST line makes me VERY happy! <giggles> I am so glad I'm not the ONLY one confused about this "DOS-like" Media / Pictures methodology. Hahahah THANK YOU for another chunk of info! The only thing missing now is the "secret code" to use to SEE the contents of your BB "Wallpaper" folder on your PC desktop. WHY OH WHY is RIM so devious?
    That's because the default "wallpaper" folder in not an actual folder or accessible directory on the Torch - or any BB for that matter. All the wallpapers that come with the BB are in a COD file installed as part of the OS and in the system's 512 mb flash memory. The section of memory you can't access directly.

Personally, I just put all my collected wallpaper images in its own folder on my sd card. When you look up the images, it will show you every folder that has images in them and just go to my "9800 Wallpaper" folder and pick the one I want.

That pvdata folder could have been created by some third-party program you might have. Many will create their own folders as a cache folder. It could even be a game that uses it. Just a guess.

Last edited by joeldf; 03-06-11 at 12:49 PM.
    linda anne likes this.
    03-06-11 12:44 PM
    That's because the default "wallpaper" folder in not an actual folder or accessible directory on the Torch - or any BB for that matter. All the wallpapers that come with the BB are in a COD file installed as part of the OS and in the system's 512 mb flash memory. The section of memory you can't access directly.

Personally, I just put all my collected wallpaper images in its own folder on my sd card. When you look up the images, it will show you every folder that has images in them and just go to my "9800 Wallpaper" folder and pick the one I want.

That pvdata folder could have been created by some third-party program you might have. Many will create their own folders as a cache folder. It could even be a game that uses it. Just a guess.

wow! way a bunch of smart people here. Many thanks for helping to fill in the blanks. Most enlightening post...
    03-06-11 12:55 PM
    Any apps you have installed that start with "pv" by any chance?

03-06-11 02:15 PM
    Any apps you have installed that start with "pv" by any chance?

nope, none at all............. dunno how the pv folder came to be? mmmmmmm
    03-06-11 07:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD