Here is the deal. I do not have home internet. I do have the att tethering package, but every tutorial I find online requires me to download and install something on my computer that I simply can't do.

I want to know if there is a way to just set up a new connection that will utilize the Torch the way I used to use my old non-smartphone?
    12-30-11 11:37 PM
    use desktop manager, in it you should find your isp.
    12-30-11 11:44 PM
    The desktop manager has never worked for me. I did look there for modem settings as one tutorial suggested but it doesn't display that at all. I need a new version but obtaining it is a problem.
    12-30-11 11:54 PM
    I need a new version but obtaining it is a problem.
    How is it a problem?

DM installs a "modem" driver too. Look in Device Manager (assuming you're running Windows) and see if you have Standard Modem (maybe even more than one). Select Properties of any one of them, then the Diagnostics Tab, and press the Query Modem button. One of them should respond with RIM Blackberry Device (or something like that).

If you pair the PC and BB by Bluetooth, you'll should also see a Standard Modem Over Bluetooth link.

The remaining directions instruct how to establish the connection, connection strings, and other settings.

I tether to my 9800 over USB or BT as needed.
    12-31-11 09:30 AM
    If you have a media card in your phone, use the browser to go to the software you need to download, click it and save the file, then hook up your BlackBerry as a USB drive to your computer and go to that file and you can install the necessary software from the media card. I have done this with several programs when it was inconvenient to get online, then installed them later.

You can even update your BlackBerry Desktop Manager software in this fashion.

Personally, I use a program called Fixmo Extend to tether. I didn't have access for my laptop, so I downloaded the computer version on my phone, hooked up the USB, scrolled down thru the files, found the right one, and clicked to begin the install.

A few minutes later, I opened the program and tethered my phone for the first time.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-31-11 at 10:00 AM.
    12-31-11 09:47 AM
    Anyone know how to use the 9800 as a modem for the Mac Mini

In Device Options I don't get option of using the phone as an internet connection
    01-01-12 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD