I'm on Rogers in Canada, I want to buy a 9800 from US and use it under Rogers, does anyone know if I can get unlock code now or do I have to wait until executive period is over. Since it is not rogers certified, can I use rogers data plan?
    08-04-10 03:37 PM
    Why wouldn't you just get the rogers one when it arrives within the next few weeks (according to some posts/wesbites)
    08-04-10 03:38 PM
    if you buy the phone @ full price via ATT they'll have to give the IMEI unlock code at the time of pick up, or you can use cellunlock.net or similar to unlock the phone via the IMEI code.
    08-04-10 03:38 PM
    Why wouldn't you just get the rogers one when it arrives within the next few weeks (according to some posts/wesbites)
    That's what I was wondering.

It is 100% confirmed that Rogers, Telus, and Bell will all carry the 9800.
    08-04-10 03:42 PM
    I don't qualify for an upgrade and phones here in Canada are more expensive anyways. I'm better off buying a unlocked phone from US
    08-04-10 07:24 PM
    I don't qualify for an upgrade and phones here in Canada are more expensive anyways. I'm better off buying a unlocked phone from US
    would it be more expensive than that US$500 no-contract price?
    08-04-10 07:26 PM
    Telus and Rogers usually sell them for $699. That is how much i paid for the Storm1 when it was released.
    08-04-10 07:34 PM
    Yes, will be $599, or $649. Also, our dollar is to close to par to worry about the exchange rate. Always cheaper to buy the american phone, and just get the supplier to unlock it for international use.
    08-04-10 07:34 PM
    How would this work for warranty purposes? Would you send it back to the US? Would ATT actually warrant it? I've always got my phones through Rogers so I never had to find out. But getting it from the US sounds kind of appealing
    08-04-10 08:29 PM
    I had purchased a pre-released GSM Vodafone Storm 2 from ebay and used it on Rogers. However the call display only worked on certain numbers. Anyone know if this will be the case for the AT&T 9800 and if so is there a way to fix it?

Rogers may take a while before it relases it and I wouldn't mind picking it up sooner.
    08-04-10 09:50 PM
    How would this work for warranty purposes? Would you send it back to the US? Would ATT actually warrant it? I've always got my phones through Rogers so I never had to find out. But getting it from the US sounds kind of appealing
    how it works here at T-mo is if you have an unlocked phone you have to go to the manufacturer becasue the warranty atcualy goes threw them your carrir just makes it easyer on you by filling out all the paper work and doing all the shipping for you so you would probobly have ot contact rim for warranty issues because you have to have an active tmo account for replacements i mean we can TS a phone with no active account but we cant replace it

(hope that helps atleast give you an idea sorry if its diferent with your carrier)
    08-04-10 09:54 PM
    yep, that helps. Thank you
    08-04-10 10:49 PM
    Hey, if you get the phone in the US there is no guarantee it will be 3G here as we have different frequencies for that so be careful. The best you may be able to get is an EDGE connection.
    08-04-10 11:32 PM
    I too am not eligible for a hardware upgrade. In fact, I'm not eligible for another year. Rogers has what is called a "save upgrade," to save the customer from the threat of moving to another carrier.

I called Rogers, got transferred to customer relations and told them that I want an upgrade. They gave the whole, "well you're not eligible... bla bla bla." I informed them that to end my contract and pay out, it would cost me about the same as getting a new phone for free with a 3 year contract with another carrier (not letting them know at that time that I was looking to get the slider) Then their mood changed, and they noted my account that I will be eligible for an upgrade and I would be calling back to let them know which phone I want. Obviously you have to resign a 3 year contract, however I did call back and they noted my account that I am eligible for a hardware upgrade for the slider. Also, it is confirmed that they will get it.
    08-05-10 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD