I've searched the forum and not found this answer, so forgive me if it's here

How do you tell the status of the mute button? There doesn't seem to be any indicator of whether the mute button is in effect, or not, on the screen -- until an incoming call doesn't ring.
    10-18-10 06:06 PM
    The mute button doesn't work like that. The system volume control does not affect notifications, and in most cases the "mute" button actually behaves more like a play/pause button. If your phone isn't ringing isn't not because of having pressed mute. I'd take a look at your notification profile settings (speaker icon on the homescreen).
    10-18-10 06:11 PM
    What is happening is that a call came in that I couldn't take, so I pressed the icon on the screen to silence the ring. Now it isn't ringing for any new calls -- it's just vibrating -- and I can't figure out why, since I definitely did not change the profile.

I've checked the current profile, and the phone is set to ring Out of the holster. The next time a call came in and the phone just vibrated, I tried to press the icon again to unsilence it, but it didn't take.
    10-18-10 06:18 PM
    Have you checked your Sound Profiles? (Just start typing Sound Profiles and universal search will bring up the option). Check to see that it's not on Vibrate Only or Silent..if so set it back to Normal (or whatever your *normal* profile is).
    10-18-10 06:27 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull? That would clear any state you might have got your phone in to.
    10-19-10 02:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD