CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default how to get wifi only connection?

How does one limit internet connectivity to wifi only? When I deactivate the mobile data connection in the connections menu, all apps complain about a missing connection, while the status bar still shows I'm connected to my base station.
    And when I use the wifi-only instead of wifi-preferred setting, I apparently even switch off the ability to place/receive calls (as if I'd removed the SIM) ...

Note that I don't yet have a blackberry option on the contract.
    CrackBerry User

Go to Manage Connections/Mobile Network and turn it off. Leave Wi-Fi on.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That's what I thought, but when I tried that I had no more internet, despite apparently being conected to my wifi network...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,052 Global Posts

Did you try turning on Airplane mode then turning on wifi?

Posted via CB10

STL-100-3 (Z10) 10.2.1.1925 10.2.1.2156
    STA-100-5 (Z30) SW: 10.2.1.2102 | OS:10.2.1.2141 | Radio: 10.2.1.2142
    RD121WW (Playbook) 2.1.0.1753

Caller ID / Contact name not displayed on incoming call
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

No ... haven't noticed an airplane mode yet.

I'm getting the impression that a number of apps require BIS, and thus mobile data (or at least the possibility to acces that regardless of whether or not it's included in the contract)??
    CrackBerry User

You are right that some apps require BIS. But you can connect to BIS via wi-fi with the Mobile Network turned off. However, the BB must have be or must have been previously registered with BIS, and that will depend on the contract you have with your carrier. I have a contract with my carrier in Spain; since I have had my BB for two years, it is therefore unlocked and I can insert a different (prepaid or PAYG) SIM card in it when I go to another country so as to avoid data roaming charges. I do so, and the phone is re-registered automatically with BIS with the new foreign carrier, provided I have a deal that allows that.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Does that registration get lost when you do a reset/wipe of the phone prior to selling it?

In any case, if BIS also works over wifi it. cannot explain why my wifi won't work without mobile data active. I tried again yesterday, still no luck. Switch of the mobile data (top switch in the mobile/cellular connection page), and all apps complain about missing internet access.
    A bit annoying because the idea with this phone would be to go online on 3g only when required, because of a very limited quota. And almost a reason to resell the phone if it means that switching off the roaming mobile data means that wifi won't work abroad!!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,639 Global Posts

Do you or do you not have a Blackberry specific data plan?

I can turn off my mobile network and still use my apps. I can browse the web, use BBM, I can even make calls since I'm in UMA mode.

Wiping the phone likely deleted the service books. If you do not have a BB data plan, the services books may not load.
    --
    8800 (Retired), 9000 (Retired), 9800 (T-Mobile), PB64 WiFi, Droid 4 (VZW)
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

no, I do not yet have a BIS plan nor a mobile data plan at all
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

(oops)
    Mobile data will be activated in a week or so, for now the connection is there but the operator won't transmit any data.

Thing is, I want to be able to control when mobile data is being used for internet (=non telephone related) activities. iOS and AFAIK Android both allow to do this, so I can still phone, send SMS messages, etc, but the monthly included Mb of data are consumed only when I really want it, not for all kind of background activity that can easily wait until I'm back under wifi coverage.