CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How to get Memory Cleaner back...

...or is there an actual useful Memory Cleaning app out there? I had Memory Cleaner and then after switching OS's back and forth and all sorts of messing around its gone.

Is Memory Cleaner even worth having and should I worry about it?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,845 Global Posts
    PIN
    Upon PM Request

It has its purpose and is still there.options > device > security > advanced security settings > memory cleaning.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thank you!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

just curious... what is the purpose of the mem cleaner?

looks like it would wipe all the info save for apps to where I would need to re-log in when I load up the program... true? or no...

every time I log in here, I learn something new about my phone and setting it up... Thanks.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

About memory cleaning - BlackBerry Storm2 9520/9550 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Storm2 Series - 5.0

Not very useful or necessary for most users probably. Those who would use it, your BES administrator probably forces it anyways...
    CrackBerry User

My Torch is my first Blackberry, so I'm completely a newbee on them... but I'm pretty computer savey.

I know what a memory defrag does for my computer memory and speed.
    I downloaded the Free Program "Memoryup Pro". I'm happy with it. When I do the "quick boost" and it tells me 170,000 bytes have been recovered, maby it's just me...but I really think I can see the small increase in speed.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

All it does is call the java garbage collection, which the OS calls anyways.

Freeing memory isn't going to increase speed at all unless you were really, really low on memory when you did it. Especially 170kb, will not net you enough room to do much of anything...
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire66 View Post
    My Torch is my first Blackberry, so I'm completely a newbee on them... but I'm pretty computer savey.

I know what a memory defrag does for my computer memory and speed.
    I downloaded the Free Program "Memoryup Pro". I'm happy with it. When I do the "quick boost" and it tells me 170,000 bytes have been recovered, maby it's just me...but I really think I can see the small increase in speed.
    Placebo effect, same thing most of us have been guilty of at one time or another; especially after loading a new OS or hybrid and afterwards touting its "increased speed": Oh? Got a stopwatch out? >.<
    CrackBerry User

I hear ya guys. How bout this?
    I like "playin with it", and I like instantly seein my total memory, free memory, and used memory percentages. I guess It's a "computer" thing for me.

What do you think of another free program I have. "Kisses". An anti-malware program. I run it every 4-5 days. It has never found anything yet, but then, I'm not THAT much of an addict....YET.

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Pretty much pointless on a BB.

1) To do much harm the app would have to be signed... So it would be a signed malware... which would be kinda stupid to do.
    2) You'd have to install the malware.
    3) It asks you to confirm every time it accesses core system functions anyways.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire66 View Post
    I hear ya guys. How bout this?
    I like "playin with it", and I like instantly seein my total memory, free memory, and used memory percentages. I guess It's a "computer" thing for me.

What do you think of another free program I have. "Kisses". An anti-malware program. I run it every 4-5 days. It has never found anything yet, but then, I'm not THAT much of an addict....YET.
    Readin' that loud 'n' clear: the app I want is Conky for BlackBerry; while I have MeterBerry I'd love something updating on the screen right along with BerryWeather.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Pretty much pointless on a BB.

1) To do much harm the app would have to be signed... So it would be a signed malware... which would be kinda stupid to do.
    2) You'd have to install the malware.
    3) It asks you to confirm every time it accesses core system functions anyways.
    And even a PC virus wouldn't affect the OS, aside from making it **** to install and possibly screwing that up to where the device couldn't be used. But that's still not infecting the device OS.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by genomos View Post
    Readin' that loud 'n' clear: the app I want is Conky for BlackBerry; while I have MeterBerry I'd love something updating on the screen right along with BerryWeather.
    Heck, try Memoryup Pro. It updates as you're lookin at it. Don't like it? Blow it off.

As for Berry weather....I've just got the weather channel app. All the info instantly when I click on the app...and when I click on the Map....Instant Live doppler of...in my case, Central Florida.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

Your torch as a built in memory cleaner. You find it under "advanced security settings". It cleans the memory and caches out automatically and you can choose when it does this. I doubt any aftermarket cleaner would benefit the phone.

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    Your torch as a built in memory cleaner. You find it under "advanced security settings". It cleans the memory and caches out automatically and you can choose when it does this. I doubt any aftermarket cleaner would benefit the phone.

Thanks Much!!

Just turned it on. Appreciate good info like this, especially bein a newbie to BB.