What is the proper way of exiting applications on the BB Torch? I know how to close them, but is there a way to actually exit them so that they are not running in the background?

Thanks.
    03-01-11 04:35 PM
    hit the menu button (BB key and scroll DOWN to close)
    at the home screen hold the menu key again to see if the app is running, it should be closed....
    from my experience some apps need this done twice..dont ask why. dont know they just do...
    ghostryder12 likes this.
    03-01-11 04:42 PM
    hit the menu button (BB key and scroll DOWN to close)
    at the home screen hold the menu key again to see if the app is running, it should be closed....
    from my experience some apps need this done twice..dont ask why. dont know they just do...

The AppWorld app comes to mind. When you open different pages and press Menu > Close to close, AppWorld requires you to go back all the way to the first page with featured apps. In my experience I've learned just to press the Escape (not the red End) key until Appworld closes. Other apps, like Maps, I believe actually say "Exit" in the full menu.

All in all, Menu > Close is your way to do it!
    03-01-11 04:56 PM
    The AppWorld app comes to mind. When you open different pages and press Menu > Close to close, AppWorld requires you to go back all the way to the first page with featured apps. In my experience I've learned just to press the Escape (not the red End) key until Appworld closes. Other apps, like Maps, I believe actually say "Exit" in the full menu.

All in all, Menu > Close is your way to do it!
    There are a few apps like that. Real p.i.t.a. I guess that's a problem with a multi-tasking OS -- how do you tell an app that you want to actually close it vs. just leaving it to go do something else. Every developer seems to have a different idea on that. I've got one app that doesn't even have Close/Exit option in the menu ... you have to hit the Back key repeatedly until it backs itself up to the first screen and then finally closes. I do wish RIM would establish some standards to make such basic actions like that consistent for all apps.

Best bet is to periodically do what jlspeed said, press and hold the BB key and make sure there's nothing running that shouldn't be. The only programs that don't ever close are Home, Phone, BB Messenger, Browser, and Messages.
    03-01-11 05:29 PM
    There are some Apps

Browser
    BBM
    Home

that have to run.

Under OS5 you can remove BBM from the phone and it will obviously stop running. Under OS6, if you remove things like BBM then you also lose some option setting capabilty. Sloppy programming, imo.

Closing other programs is best done by pressing the Menu key and scrolling down to Exit or Close or Quit. Some programs such as Google Maps and the Reutrs News services like to running the background so that they can download current data. Faceboook does the same thing. If you shut these apps down then, you get no data updates until you run them again.

Programs like Caclulator can be closed simply by pressing the Escape key.

There's a middle ground where pressing escape to exit the app quits but the app still sits there doing nothing. Again, pressing the Menu key and selecting Exit or whatever to fully close the app.
    03-01-11 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD