Hello veteran BB users,

I have a Torch for about 10 days. Very happy with it, no complaints so far. I have .296 would like to goto .448 , but I only use Ubuntu linux on my netbook. The Software Update section of options tells me that I'm upto date. DM only works on Windows, and won't work under wine, (thats a Windows simul) , so : how do other linux users perform an OS upgrade ?
    I understand tech stuff, so I will understand a technical suggestion or answer.
    I appreciate your help/suggestions.
    04-09-11 11:01 AM
    As far as I am aware there is no method. Just borrow a friends pc for a bit
    04-09-11 01:20 PM
    You can try whe blackberry website, and check for updates that way, but not sure if it works on linux...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 01:44 PM
    You need to use a Windows PC or stick to OTA upgrades.
    04-09-11 02:34 PM
    I use Windows for OS updates.

I dual boot Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7.
    04-09-11 02:45 PM
    I use Windows for OS updates.

I dual boot Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7.
    Thank you , fellas. And thank you lak611. Nice to meet another Ubuntu fan. I used to dualboot on my netbook but I blew away the Windows and the grub bootloader long time ago. Now, I only have the 11.04 beta.

Lak611, if you don't mind, I might ask you a few questions now and then, since you use linux and BB phones, like me.
    04-09-11 05:37 PM
    I'm linux (Ubuntu) user. Simply can't load it via wine (always fails).

Two ways to get it loaded
    1- install virtualbox wi windows. And install DM then upgrade
    2- dualboot with windows (preferred).

There is project (non engllish). For bb backup & sync. Google it (ubuntuforums.org)

04-09-11 06:29 PM
    I feel your pain also, I've been a die hard linux fan since the early beta versions and run ubuntu linux on my pc's too. For themeing and app dev I use windows xp running in a kvm virtual machine and it works great. I have tried upgrading the bb os from the virtual windows pc but the issue comes when the bb disconnects and reconnects to the pc as the usb address changes.

For backups there is always the barry project which works quite well. A native linux desktop manager would be awesome though.

Russ.

04-09-11 06:30 PM
    Nice to meet linux users here. I talked to my daughter, she'll let me use her laptop. I'll install DM on her laptop and then I'll learn howto install the .448.

Thanks for the answers and suggestions.
    So far, (11 days) , I'm really liking the BB Torch.
    04-09-11 08:14 PM
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Win7 on netbook. Win7 is used only for upgrading/restoring iDevices and jailbreaking them, as well for upgrading BB's OS.
    04-09-11 09:03 PM
    Same here. I dual boot on my wife's netbook. The only reason we keep windows is to do updates for our BB's. Too bad that RIM makes its hardware accessible to apple but not Linux, when I bet most of their dev team use linux. Lol

04-09-11 09:27 PM
    gulp ,droid is more linux friendly ..
    07-13-11 03:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD