Just upgraded from my beloved Bold to the Torch and overall all good, but have the following issues and would really appreciate any ideas, pointers or advice -
    1. Is there a way to just have your favourites or even all come up and stay up when you open the phone ? The screen is constantly sliding to the other options such as media which is a bit annoying ?
    2. Is there a way to delete the "messages" folder as I dont see the point of having all my message activity repeated in there and having to clear it out ?
    3. The battery is draining very quickly and I am having to charge it daily, and I thought it would do better than this ?
    4. I am running 6.337 OS that came with the phone and was wondering if to upgrade to the newer ones, if I did what the benefit is and does anyone have a link and some fool proof instructions on how to do it ! I am running on T Mobile UK.
    5. It also seems to jump about a bit from screen to screen with me not touching (or not being aware of touching !) anything, could that be to do with the sensitivity settings of the screen ?

Any general tips and ideas would be very much appreciated as I am missing my Bold a bit now and want to Love my Torch !!

Thanks guys
    03-12-11 01:53 AM
    1) download a Theme, there are many free ones in the Themes section that will get rid of that annoying UI bar. I don't use any theme that has the UI bar enabled on my 9780. I hate it
    Harryharryharrydog likes this.
    03-12-11 02:11 AM
    1. Get a Theme..., try Or wait for OS6.1 (if torch ever gets, RIM is very slow in OS upgrades)
    2. No, but you can hide the icon. and you will happy
    3. Torch has to be charged every day, new OS has better battery life...
    4. 101,OS load from Nuke Berry,|-----| 101, OS upgrade |
    5. OS upgrade might solve it......

hope this helps...
    if not.... throw Torch and get iPhone...
    Last edited by infinus; 03-12-11 at 02:51 AM.
    03-12-11 02:47 AM
    2 - I just hide the messages folder. (Touch and hold the icon, then select 'hide'.)
    3 - battery should be charged regularly whether it needs it or not. One full day is about average. Make sure you don't have apps that stay running in the background. Hold down the BB key, and you should only see Home, Messages, Browser, Phone, and BB Messenger running. Anything else is just eating juoce.
    4 - leaked OS's noticeably improve the performance, feel, and sometimes battery life of the phone. Definitely worth doing.
    5 - sometimes I inadvertantly hit the touchpad, which causes the home screen to slide to another tab. OS 6.1 is rumored to have the abilituy to change or remove those tabs, which will be a godsend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-11 04:14 AM
    thanks very much for your advice and tips, but if i just hide my messages folder wont it still get copies of messages in it that i will have to delete
    Can someone explain what a ui is ?

many thanks
    03-12-11 04:49 AM
    UI = User Interface
    03-12-11 05:14 AM
    yes i do think youre messages will just store up and be hidden
    odd advice ?
    cant give you better advice tho
    03-12-11 06:11 AM
    thanks very much for your advice and tips, but if i just hide my messages folder wont it still get copies of messages in it that i will have to delete
    Can someone explain what a ui is ?

many thanks
    The Messages folder is just a combined view of all your messages. If you delete messages from your email folder or instant messages, for example, you will no longer see them in the Messages folder.

As MM noted, UI is the user interface ... how the touch screen works, how screens, menus, icons and folders are organized, basically every aspect of the device that allows you (the User) to interact with it (Interface).
    03-12-11 07:38 AM
    Thanks everyone - now downloaded a theme that has sorted the home screen and its brilliant ! It was driving me mad lol !!
    Ok - the messages folder, well if i hide it it definately does still get copies of all messages in it and then even when I have gone into all my apps and delete the messages out of each one (facebook, twitter, ebay, BB Messenger etc ) I am still having to unhide the messages box as I cant get rid of some of the notification icons without deleting the duplicate notification out of the messages folder. I am struggling to see the point of every text, email, facebook notification, ebay notification being constantly duplicated ???? Surely there must be a way to get rid of it ?????
    I am still looking for a good link to upgrade my OS and some fool proof instructions if anyone could help me ? Need to improve battery life for sure as lasting just a day at a push !

Thanks again all !!
    03-12-11 09:48 AM
    Post 4 in the thread link below by Elite1 gives good instructions on how to upgrade:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...ndings-593772/

If you are a heavy user of your device then one day is all the battery you'll get from your Torch. I can go a day and a half without charging but I do charge every night. And make sure all apps are closed when finished with them, as certain apps use more "juice" than others (including Facebook, etc).
    Another battery saving tip is to use 2G instead of 3G especially if you are in a poor signal area. I use Wi-Fi at home and at work and then use 2G everywhere else. (To do this, you go to Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options>Network Mode>Set to 2G
    Last edited by tellsells; 03-12-11 at 10:12 AM.
    03-12-11 10:04 AM
    Thank you for that, appreciated and i am guilty as my apps (facebook, ebay, berry weather) do run constantly !!!

I will have a go at the OS upgrade in next couple of days, am waiting for some ideas re the messages folder so i can hopefully do them together !
    03-12-11 10:18 AM
    I am not sure if this will work on some of your messaging apps, as I don't Tweet and don't Ebay but if you go to:
    Messages>Options>Inbox Management>Other Message Types>Do you have a place to "Check" these apps here? If so, you check these off and all notifications will be combined in your message folder and you can then hide your other folders such as Visual Voice mail, etc. Again, not sure if this will work but it is worth looking into.
    03-12-11 10:27 AM
    Your messages problem:

If you have not already done so, for email accounts such as Yahoo or Gmail, use the Setup application to set up each email account to give you separate icons for each account.

Stop unwanted stuff going in your messages by opening Messages, entering the menu and selecting Options/Inbox Management and deselect any other email accounts and SMS etc you don't want to show in that Messages Folder.

For Facebook: Open Facebook, choose Options from the menu and uncheck the box next to 'Blackberry Message Application' - you should now only get your Facebook messages in Facebook and you will still get a Facebook notification icon on the home screen when one arrives.

As for other apps, I'm not sure, but check their Options menus to see if there is a link to Blackberry Messenger you can deselect.

Hope this helps.
    03-12-11 10:39 AM
    Brilliant, thanks very much !!! I have now disabled all my messages going to BB Messenger, so no more duplications !!! I am struggling to find how to set up a seperate icon for my talktalk email - all rest done OK and am using set up but cant get it to give me an option ?
    03-12-11 10:47 AM
    Ahhhh done it !!! got seperate icon for Talktalk emails and disabled all notifications going to messages icon and hid it !! I will wait and see now !!

You guys are brilliant, thank you so much !
    03-12-11 10:55 AM
    i think everything has been covered here: themes, hide icon, etc...

but just wondering, you really don't like everything going to the message folder? hm.
    03-12-11 11:06 AM
    Thanks everyone - now downloaded a theme that has sorted the home screen and its brilliant ! It was driving me mad lol !!
    What theme did you get? Those tabs have been driving me INsane!
    03-12-11 11:32 AM
    Hi there, I just got a free one from page 3 of free theme downloads off here - it is the FREE version 6 one and shows you plain blue screen shots. It has a 5 star review and once you put your own wallpaper on its perfect !! I cant tell you how much better it is. It now just shows one row at bottom of your icons (chose the 4 not the 8 one when it gives you the options) and then just ALL appear instead of those crazy sliding choices ! Good luck and let me know if you cant find it and I will post the link.
    03-12-11 04:38 PM
    i think everything has been covered here: themes, hide icon, etc...

but just wondering, you really don't like everything going to the message folder? hm.
    Thanks, yes all covered as usual by you great people !

No I do not see the point of copying every message to another folder ! Why would this be a benefit ? Just no need in my opinion. But, as with lots of things, it is personal choice I suppose.
    03-12-11 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD