For those of you who have seen the quick video of the Slider on the Crackberry front page know:

1.) It's part of the Bold family ("Bold" stamped on the back in the video)
    2.) No SurePress like the Storm and Storm 2
    3.) Will ship with Blackberry 6

This device has really intrigued me now because I originally thought it was probably going to either be it's own line of devices or be included in the Storm line. The fact that it is actually a Bold really came out of left field. And for that fact it is definitely the next top line model from RIM.

The fact that there is no SurePress makes me wonder if RIM is scrapping it altogether. It's no secret that SurePress is really a love it or hate it relationship with I'm guessing more casual people calling for its end in Blackberry devices. So is it possible the Storm 3 will ditch SurePress and become more iPhone like? Will there even be a Storm 3?

With all the pictures and video leaks on the device (including the fact that it is running and will ship with Blackberry 6) tell me that this is the device that will be released this upcoming holiday season. Probably AT&T or T-Mobile are my guesses.

However here is what gets me thinking. For a longggg time now we heard rumors (even seeing an ancient prototype in video) of the supposed hybrid touchscreen and qwerty keyboard devices. I think it was once codenamed Pluto or Magnum. Are these devices dead on the drawing board? Are they still scheduled to be released? Is the Bold 9800 (silder) actually the result of Pluto/Magnum development? It is RIM's first hybrid device, I'm guessing maybe somewhere in development they decided the slider style would allow for a much better touchscreen than a standard candybar style device.

O well so much to discuss, so many questions could pop up. Fire away in here people.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 05-08-10 at 12:36 PM.
    05-08-10 12:32 PM
    all I know is I don't care what people say about it, it looks like the best of both worlds.. I will at least be giving it a test run when it comes out to see if it's something I could use long-term...

but so far I like the lack of surepress, the presence of OS 6, and the look of it.. is there any word on the specs yet or still up in the air? cuz if they throw in a 5+mp camera, and up the memory (which i'm sure they will given the 9650 and running OS 6), it might be a shoe-in for me...
    05-08-10 12:41 PM
    Resolution is the deal breaker for me. If it still has 480x360 its a dealbreaker. Now before anyone responds with those "its good enough" comments, just think how long its been since the last bump in resolution....late 2008?? What's the competition up to today vs. Where they were at that time?

Either way, it would seem that whatever the 9650 has, this will have as well as RIM only likes to change 1 or 2 things at very most between device releases. So seeing this is a new slider form factor (1) and its a touchscreen without surepress (2), its unlikely to have anything else already not on another device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-10 01:50 PM
    Is the Bold 9800 (silder) actually the result of Pluto/Magnum development? It is RIM's first hybrid device, I'm guessing maybe somewhere in development they decided the slider style would allow for a much better touchscreen than a standard candybar style device.
    This would be my guess. The current tend is for larger screens and I am not sure a querty/touch screen, palm treo style, phone would ultimately survive. However I must add, I loved treo's and I would buy one!
    05-08-10 01:50 PM
    Deal breaker for me is:

- How good is the slider? No point getting it if its poorly build and will develop a wobble.

- Is the screen touch screen? The size of it suggests yes, but time will tell. Don't see the point of having such a large screen if it isn't touch.
    05-09-10 04:12 AM
    Do you really think they will push out slider(their first ever slider) poorly build??they�d never ever do so as its a member of the bold family...just think about it...
    05-09-10 04:33 AM
    This would be my guess. The current tend is for larger screens and I am not sure a querty/touch screen, palm treo style, phone would ultimately survive. However I must add, I loved treo's and I would buy one!

I am assuming you mean magnum/dakota development. And there is still a dakota in development separate from this
    05-09-10 08:25 AM
    Do you really think they will push out slider(their first ever slider) poorly build??they�d never ever do so as its a member of the bold family...just think about it...
    Have you met the storm and tour?

05-09-10 08:25 AM
    Have you met the storm and tour?

Yes i did...have u met the 8520??this is what I call bad build...If u wanna have true high quality, I don`t think you`ll get for around 500 bucks nowadays...Don`t get me wrong, thats nothing I`m lucky about...
    05-09-10 09:45 AM
    I am assuming you mean magnum/dakota development. And there is still a dakota in development separate from this
    Yes, I am speaking of the rumored Dakota, as far as it still being reality...time will tell. I only believe half of what I see and none of what I hear. The rumors of both hit the street around the same time and we are seeing the slider first, so I am not sure what that means. I would still like to see the Dakota but I think it's development will hinge on the market trend as well as the success of the slider.
    05-09-10 12:46 PM
    Do you really think they will push out slider(their first ever slider) poorly build??
    This part I am not sure about, they have done it before.

they'd never ever do so as its a member of the bold family...just think about it...
    This part I would like to think is true, so far devices with the Bold name have been "flagship" devices. I hope they went the extra mile in development.
    Last edited by Najo; 05-09-10 at 01:01 PM.
    05-09-10 12:58 PM
    With all the pictures and video leaks on the device (including the fact that it is running and will ship with Blackberry 6) tell me that this is the device that will be released this upcoming holiday season. Probably AT&T or T-Mobile are my guesses.
    It's definitely AT&T. CX just recently tweeted that AT&T will begin testing the Bold 9800 in the next 30 days.

That and other reasons lead me to doubt we won't see the 9800 until the holiday season. AT&T did that with the Bold 9000 back in 2008 -- not releasing it until November, when it had already been out on non-US carriers for months. I would guess a July release. This will take on the new iPhone. How successfully, though, I have no idea.
    05-10-10 07:34 AM
    For what it is worth, the big questions (some of which are obviously answered already) and deal breakers for me at this stage are:

1 - Will it be touch screen? It should be. The technology is obviously available and is easily incorporated.

2 - Why the low resolution? The screen is going to be twice as big (nominally) so it only makes sense that they retain the pixel density with a resultant higher resolution. Otherwise, you get a larger screen all right, but with degraded image quality. Seems backwards but we saw this with notebook computers around the 2004-2006 releases.

3 - Will it have a reasonable amount of memory? I'd like to see 1Gb, but I also know that this is ambitious at best. 512Mb should be the lower limit, though, and considering the 9650 has 512Mb, I have every reason to believe this will be the case with the 9800.

4 - What will the upper end of the supported external memory (i.e., MicroSD cards) be? As I understand it, the 9700 has an upper limit if 16Gb but to be frank, I am a bit irritated that it has no support for future 32Gb cards that will emerge soon. Yes, between music, videos and a LOT of documents, I carry around that much data.

5 - And finally, an accelerometer would be nice.

... just my thoughts.
    05-11-10 04:50 PM
    Yes i did...have u met the 8520??this is what I call bad build...If u wanna have true high quality, I don`t think you`ll get for around 500 bucks nowadays...Don`t get me wrong, thats nothing I`m lucky about...
    Actually, I prefer the build of the 8520 over the 9700 96xx and 8900. I've gone through countless 8900's which was the worst device ever released and am starting to exhibit the same behaviour with my 9700. Look at the build of the area surrounding the screen...on the 85xx its a single piece whicg protects it, similar to what was on the 83xx. The "higher" models all have a screen with a wedge around the corners large enough to hold paper. There's no protection to the top of the screen (that part with the blackberry name on it swings right up) and countless screens were lost that way (2 personally). The trackball on the 96xx / 8900 was an abonmination, and there are countless posts about crooked trackpads and squeaky bezels on the 9700. For all its cheapness, you can probably drop the 85xx and not suffer too much damage unlike the others (again, been there done that.)

05-11-10 10:56 PM
    1 - Will it be touch screen? It should be. The technology is obviously available and is easily incorporated.
    Jeez, how many times does it have to be said around here?

THE 9800 SLIDER IS A TOUCHSCREEN.

I REPEAT, THE 9800 SLIDER IS A TOUCHSCREEN.
    05-12-10 07:12 AM
    Someone needs to take a chill pill lol

It's good to know its a touch screen, now hopefully the slider doesn't wobble Palm Pre style. If not, I'm sold.
    Last edited by BerryUK; 05-12-10 at 07:55 AM.
    05-12-10 07:35 AM
    Yes, but is it going to be a touchscreen?

Sorry...couldn't help myself...
    05-12-10 10:04 AM
    Jeez, how many times does it have to be said around here? ... < deletia >
    Wow ... way to be subtle and helpful. Also, I compliment you on your uncanny ability to read an entire post and retain everything within the context it was presented. Outstanding. After all, I did say"... the big questions (some of which are obviously answered already) ... so yeah ... I know it was said already.

But perhaps I should clarify. I have heard - here and elsewhere - that the 9800 may be a touchscreen and may or may not incorporate SureTouch (though now that looks unlikely). I've also heard that while the prototype(s) are touchscreens that RIM may change their minds at production and leave off the touchscreen, though I find this highly improbable.

So, yes, it is on my list of the decision making factors I'm keeping in mind as I decide whether the upgrade from my 9700 to this new and upcoming 9800 is worthwhile. Just like so many other people have posted their concerns and hopes and "deal breakers".

Since you ask, though, I'd say it has to be said once, by RIM upon the official release. Up until then they can change specs at any time and so far, we are running on rumors.

That being said, let's keep in mind that the 9800 is not a touchscreen yet ... the prototype is. Once in production, it may be and most likely will be a touchscreen but it hasn't been released yet so we don't know for sure. Again, all we know for sure is that the prototype is reported to be a touchscreen.

Now, do you have any constructive input or thoughts on the other points I raise, or would you like to fixate again? No ... on second thought, don't bother answering that. I'm not really interested.

Oh ... and I CAN DO LARGE CAPS, TOO, BUT MINE ARE IN C O L O R ... Oh ... ah.

Jeez ... So sorry for joining the conversation.
    Last edited by Kholya; 05-12-10 at 12:20 PM.
    05-12-10 12:14 PM
    You were merely the latest among many who have questioned in the last few days whether the 9800 would have a touchscreen, despite it already having been made quite clear that it will indeed have one -- and, as long as you brought it up, that it will also not have SurePress.

I will take Kevin's word* over your vacillating and bloviating any day of the week.

* "It's DEFINITELY a touchscreen. And it DOES NOT have SurePress."

05-12-10 01:43 PM
    ummm....? is it a touch screen?

Sorry JAS i couldnt help myself and yea kevin made it clear no surepress and a touchie ma bobber lol so its official!!
    05-12-10 02:36 PM
    SurePress ... duh ... not SureTouch. Anyway ...

I will take Kevin's word* over your vacillating and bloviating any day of the week.
    I would hope so as I've never claimed to be an authority. As I said earlier, I am aware that many of the questions had already been answered. It was a list of things I am considering and know that some have been addressed/answered. Matter of fact, that observation was the very first sentence in the original post.

As to my supposed vacillation, I'm not sure what you're referring to as mine was an observation that others have been vacillating on the issue.

As to claims that I'm pompous or that I'm somehow boasting, give me a break. Because I don't like unnecessary attitude?

It was originally less than a dozen and a half words posed as one of a few concerns floating in my mind as I consider the damned upgrade. Frankly, the shortest of the concerns I'd listed. All else in the second post was to clarify why it was still an issue, seeing as it upset you so, and to address the attitude slung in my direction.

You know ... I once posted how I was sincerely thankful for all the information, help and sense of sincere community here but apparently I posted too early.

It was exactly this sort of childish and reactionary posting that I was grateful to be free of.

Frankly, I'm done.
    05-12-10 04:02 PM
    Seriously, give it a rest guys. Why does this happen every time a new device or OS is on the horizon.. Let's talk about the information that is out there, not argue about speculation. Not that me saying this is going to do any good!
    05-12-10 07:28 PM

I would hope so as I've never claimed to be an authority. As I said earlier, I am aware that many of the questions had already been answered. It was a list of things I am considering and know that some have been addressed/answered. Matter of fact, that observation was the very first sentence in the original post.

As to my supposed vacillation, I'm not sure what you're referring to as mine was an observation that others have been vacillating on the issue.

As to claims that I'm pompous or that I'm somehow boasting, give me a break. Because I don't like unnecessary attitude?

It was originally less than a dozen and a half words posed as one of a few concerns floating in my mind as I consider the damned upgrade. Frankly, the shortest of the concerns I'd listed. All else in the second post was to clarify why it was still an issue, seeing as it upset you so, and to address the attitude slung in my direction.

You know ... I once posted how I was sincerely thankful for all the information, help and sense of sincere community here but apparently I posted too early.

It was exactly this sort of childish and reactionary posting that I was grateful to be free of.

Frankly, I'm done.
    Relax and chill bud.... Don't let people get under ur skin.

05-12-10 11:00 PM

Frankly, I'm done.
    So long, Mel, have a nice trip.
    05-13-10 06:08 AM
    We have seen the video leak. Looking in the past, when a video leak is found, does anyone have a clue to how much longer it is until that device comes out? Or should we assume that it will be when ATT usually launches their newest, greatest Blackberry?
    05-13-10 08:38 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD