Hi all,

I got a Torch a bit over a month ago. Have been loving it (I left the iPhone). I actually don't have a lot of downloads on it because it's more utilitarian for me (email, web, phone, calendar, tasks). All was fine no issues at all. Last nite I put the free BeWeather on it it... still no issues. This morning, I thought huh, haven't backed up in a while, I'll plug it in to DM and do that (last one was 1/20/11). Backed up with no issues at all. I unplugged it and put the phone on my desk.

Looked down and saw that it had the "hour glass" spinning clock icon that would go for a few seconds, disappear BRIEFLY and come back. Couldn't touch icons or anything so I did a battery pull thinking it just needed a reset and the same thing. It boots up, passes security clearance to 100% for a few seconds, I can hit an icon but then the "clock" wait thing happens and just hangs the machine and keeps spinning. I don't know what the heck the issue is and what to do about it because it's just spinning and spinning. I did manage to get it to let me turn off the data network thinking maybe that would kill some update it thinks it needs to do but that didn't help.

Tried plugged phone in to laptop to connect to DM but after DM software spins for a while, it says it can't communicate with the device.

I also have a Curve 8320 for work that I plugged in to DM to test using it as a modem right after I had the Torch in there but I can't see how that would cause an issue as I've done that in the past.

I've been running notifysync and yesterday went from trial license to real license but that was yesterday and it didn't cause any issues.

Added info here: Clearly it knows what's going on because it just brought up a reminder for a meeting I have in an hour and chimed like normal but the stupid spinning clock/hourglass thing is still in front of it. Also, before I got the radio to turn off, I noticed in the far upper right the send receive arrow icon thing flickering (I'm in an Edge area, not 3G but also on Wifi) and the BIS icon sometimes going away. Now with the radio off, it still seems to be flickering which I thought was odd.

Any help would be great, otherwise I'm about to have a major issue as I'm traveling on business tomorrow.
    Last edited by watson524; 02-22-11 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added info
    02-22-11 03:01 PM
    YOu could try loading a new OS to it. try using APPLOADER and load for example, 448. See if that fixes the problem.
    02-22-11 04:33 PM
    Can you get to Application Management via the Universal Search feature and does the Menu key work.
    If yes to both, try removing the BeWeather, and/or any other app you suspect may be a problem and try rebooting.
    Don't rush into wiping and reloading your device.
    02-22-11 05:00 PM
    I went to a meeting for a few hours, came back, still spinning away. So I pulled the battery again and now the security software verification is going VERY slowly and the spinning "hourglass" has already started. Sometimes I can get into something if I catch it between flickering but not reliably so I don't know that I can say the menu key works....

What the heck.... if this is what happens after a backup, maybe I won't do it again.

If I upgrade from .246 to something else, will I lose all my stuff? Not concerned about contacts and meetings, I sync those through notify sync. Setting up emails is sort of easy but unfortunately, some I have on the phone wouldn't come down again since they're older emails.

And also - is there a sticky on how to use apploader? I have no idea what that is.

thanks!
    02-22-11 05:43 PM
    And would I lose all software and text messages? Or can those be saved somehow? At least for the messages? And darn, visual voicemails too?
    02-22-11 05:46 PM
    Huh interesting. I was slowly able to get to the universal search, but couldn't get anything typed in and then I got a totally white screen that had small black text that said "app error 602" and the word "reset" below it and I hit the main button and the phone is restarting...... too bad it doesn't tell me which app.

Update: I was able to catch it quick enough on a restart to get BeWeather uninstalled and on reboot had about 10 seconds of peace before it started up doing the same thing again. From what I can tell on a search, 602 error is something with Java.... this makes me not happy. I just noticed that even if I get BeWeather gone, it says it has to be rebooted so I reboot the device the BeWeather shows up again......... And still can't connect to DM.
    Last edited by watson524; 02-22-11 at 07:14 PM. Reason: More info
    02-22-11 05:58 PM
    You are going to required reloading the phone OS.
    Follow these steps
    BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

Get this too
    BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife

I will be here for a few hours if you need help. As will many others.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-22-11 at 08:17 PM.
    brb321 likes this.
    02-22-11 08:13 PM
    At this point I'll try anything since this is such a kludge right now. Does it matter that I'm not in constant restart but having a different issue? I was able to use loader to get a log.txt file but nothing there looks like anything I can see as a problem (I've finally gotten BeWeather to go away and nixed Pandora too just in case).

Anyway, on the 101 link you sent, I'm unclear on where to get the OS file from that it says I need before I start and where I'd put that once I have it.
    02-22-11 08:25 PM
    Which OS do you want. If you have never updated you likely had .246.

If you like you can update to .448 or .450. Both where leaked on the same day, a few weeks ago. Since then .448 has become an official release with some carriers including UK. I would recommend installing .448.
    You can get it here. https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...FA661ED1244039 EDIT - Select the second OS, Applications: 6.0.0.448

If you just want the same os you had then go here and select your carrier and device. BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-22-11 at 08:42 PM.
    02-22-11 08:39 PM
    I know I had 246 since I've been thinking of upgrading but wasn't brave enough to try it. Nothing like a push.... Guess I'll go with 448. Looks like on the blackberry site, 278 is the most recent AT&T Torch version but I'll get 448 from your other link. I see it's an exe, do I just run it once DLed? Sorry to be such a PITA but I'm new to BBs and don't want to fubar something else.
    02-22-11 08:44 PM
    Yes. Run it. It will install onto the PC
    Are you using Win XP, Vista or 7?

Here is a thread where a few of us helped another member.
    Look at post 12 for simpler instructions.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/i-...8-help-586615/

Instructions from post 12...I put ignore beside what you will not need to do:
    1. Uninstall any previous OS6 from your PC. (ignore if you have never loaded BB device software on your PC. If you are not sure, look in Control Panel, Program Files for Blackberry Device Software .....)
    2. Download OS6 to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.(ignore)
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).(ignore)
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.(if it will connect give it a try)
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.(if it will connect give it a try)
    8. On PC, navigate to
    •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.xml.
    •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.xml.
    9. (Optional) Run Shrink-A-OS.(ignore)
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader.exe to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions...choose no to backing up.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 02-22-11 at 09:00 PM.
    watson524 likes this.
    02-22-11 08:47 PM
    XP (work issued laptop). DLing it now..... unfortunately, I think it's going to take about an hour or so to DL but I'll let it go and see what's what.

thanks again for your patience.
    02-22-11 08:54 PM
    Looks like I better toast the DL and restart since I'm using Firefox.

Ok this is nutty, I went to IE, put in the link, picked the right one, put in name, address etc. Next page I hit the download button and it slaps me in the face:
    We're Sorry...

You've entered this page in error because you have the incorrect link.

Please make sure that you have the correct link to download BlackBerry software.

If you have any questions, please contact the webmaster.

Is it bad to use firefox?
    Last edited by watson524; 02-22-11 at 09:08 PM.
    02-22-11 08:59 PM
    Yes is says that, I'm not sure why. I always use Chrome.
    02-22-11 09:02 PM
    Well this is a cluster jam if I ever saw one. Just had to call me ISP (small local cable company) because I'm sitting here wondering WHAT is taking so long to DL this file. I have 5Mbps service for pete's sake and I know there's cloud traffic and all but cripes. So they queried the modem and said there's a problem and they can send someone tomorrow.... great, I won't be here tomorrow. Ok so they'll come Thursday. In the meantime, it's now saying about 2 hours to DL this file so it looks like for now, I'm going to take the SIM out of the brick, er... I mean BB, and put it back in the iPhone (ACK!) to at least have a phone tomorrow and then I'll have to sort this out when I get home from my client meetings tomorrow....

Put the sim card in, phone works ok but iPhone tells me it can't activate cellular data network "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service". Huh, I thought the BB data plan could go work on the iphone but not the other way around.
    Last edited by watson524; 02-22-11 at 09:38 PM.
    02-22-11 09:32 PM
    I am sorry for all your phone problems and now the ISP. Its really not your day. Once you get the OS file it won't take long to get your 9800 up and running.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-11 09:48 PM
    Well, I guess if things are going to be fubar'd, I'd rather a bunch of stuff is fubar'd all at once so I can sort them out and move on LOL! :-)

This iPhone data thing has me puzzled so maybe while this is DLing I'll go investigate that.
    02-22-11 09:59 PM
    Ok well.... I thought all was going well until..... I got the exe file, started up loader, told it that I didn't want it to install crap like yahoo messenger and windows messenger and also told it not to do a back. It went along great, installed what it needed to and said it was complete and did the reboot. The blackberry screen comes up on the device, the white scroll bar starts across the bottom... and stops under the "e" and just sit there.

I did a alt/cap/del restart (with the device now unplugged) and the same thing.... just sitting here.

This can't be good.

Edit - ok, when the instructions said it'll take a LONG time to reboot, I didn't realize what that meant (especially since the scroll bar was moving so quickly to start). It just started moving again so I'm going to be more patient and wait.... will post back once I let it scroll all the way.
    Last edited by watson524; 02-23-11 at 04:09 PM. Reason: i'm apparently impatient
    02-23-11 04:06 PM
    Hi all,

I got a Torch a bit over a month ago. Have been loving it (I left the iPhone). I actually don't have a lot of downloads on it because it's more utilitarian for me (email, web, phone, calendar, tasks). All was fine no issues at all. Last nite I put the free BeWeather on it it... still no issues. This morning, I thought huh, haven't backed up in a while, I'll plug it in to DM and do that (last one was 1/20/11). Backed up with no issues at all. I unplugged it and put the phone on my desk.

Looked down and saw that it had the "hour glass" spinning clock icon that would go for a few seconds, disappear BRIEFLY and come back. Couldn't touch icons or anything so I did a battery pull thinking it just needed a reset and the same thing. It boots up, passes security clearance to 100% for a few seconds, I can hit an icon but then the "clock" wait thing happens and just hangs the machine and keeps spinning. I don't know what the heck the issue is and what to do about it because it's just spinning and spinning. I did manage to get it to let me turn off the data network thinking maybe that would kill some update it thinks it needs to do but that didn't help.

Tried plugged phone in to laptop to connect to DM but after DM software spins for a while, it says it can't communicate with the device.

I also have a Curve 8320 for work that I plugged in to DM to test using it as a modem right after I had the Torch in there but I can't see how that would cause an issue as I've done that in the past.

I've been running notifysync and yesterday went from trial license to real license but that was yesterday and it didn't cause any issues.

Added info here: Clearly it knows what's going on because it just brought up a reminder for a meeting I have in an hour and chimed like normal but the stupid spinning clock/hourglass thing is still in front of it. Also, before I got the radio to turn off, I noticed in the far upper right the send receive arrow icon thing flickering (I'm in an Edge area, not 3G but also on Wifi) and the BIS icon sometimes going away. Now with the radio off, it still seems to be flickering which I thought was odd.

Any help would be great, otherwise I'm about to have a major issue as I'm traveling on business tomorrow.
    I have had my Torch since Christmas and this week, it has started doing the same thing, I mean, EXACTLY the same thing. I am unable to connect to DM but BBSAK will connect, so at least I am able to back up my apps (and luckily I sync by BB at work every day)! I only have Facebook, Twitter, BeWeather, SixTools and Quick Launch installed, nothing in beta either. I have had to re-install my OS four times now (and by the way, I have tried .488 and .450 and it has happened with both)

I am taking it back to O2 on Saturday, for a replacement....hopefully!
    02-23-11 04:18 PM
    WAHOO!!!!!! I'm back in business!! I have 4 apps I need to put back on (I won't be adding BeWeather back since all was fine until I did that) but basically, I just need NotifySync, GoogleMaps, Pandora and Jawbone and I'm doing them in that order spread out over a few days I think to see what's what.

Thank you SO MUCH! For all your help! I can't believe I was ready to go get a new phone when this was a viable (and rather painless) option. I even was able to pull back my call logs from my last backup and my SMS messages (I don't want other stuff like contacts and such since that'll sync through notifysync). I did lose my pictures but that's my own fault, I didn't have media included in the backups so my bad and not a huge deal.

One question I had... I figured since I went to 448 which isn't from AT&T, the orange AT&T "splash" screen that comes up on startup would go away but it didn't... how does that work?

Thank you again!!!
    Last edited by watson524; 02-23-11 at 05:10 PM.
    02-23-11 05:07 PM
    I only have Facebook, Twitter, BeWeather, SixTools and Quick Launch installed, nothing in beta either.
    It's interesting how we both have BeWeather and I had made no changes in about 2 weeks to the device and all was running fine until about 12 hours AFTER I put BeWeather (free) on mine. I don't suppose you'd reload the OS without that and see what happens as a last test?
    02-23-11 05:09 PM
    I have been using BeWeather 2.x (Free & Paid versions) since .246 and it appears that the advisory warnings in BeWeather will hang the phone if a advisory pushes to the phone (happens on all later versions). Turning off advisories fixes the problem. Now in .450 I get a error when I try to use the weather maps in Beweather (The "Did you try to pass a link?" error - pressing "ok" and trying it again usually works). this error only happens in .450. Overall, this particular program has given me some sort of error in any OS software version I have used (.246 - .450 and the hybrids). Maybe the latest version of Beweather will solve the advisory, but I have not tried it yet.
    02-25-11 08:03 PM
    WAHOO!!!!!! I'm back in business!! I have 4 apps I need to put back on (I won't be adding BeWeather back since all was fine until I did that) but basically, I just need NotifySync, GoogleMaps, Pandora and Jawbone and I'm doing them in that order spread out over a few days I think to see what's what.

Thank you SO MUCH! For all your help! I can't believe I was ready to go get a new phone when this was a viable (and rather painless) option. I even was able to pull back my call logs from my last backup and my SMS messages (I don't want other stuff like contacts and such since that'll sync through notifysync). I did lose my pictures but that's my own fault, I didn't have media included in the backups so my bad and not a huge deal.

One question I had... I figured since I went to 448 which isn't from AT&T, the orange AT&T "splash" screen that comes up on startup would go away but it didn't... how does that work?

Thank you again!!!
    You can't remove the splash screen. Read this.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/to...emoval-569565/

Glad you got everything sorted out and happy to have helped a little.
    Cheers
    02-25-11 08:48 PM
    well it just did the same thing again. not one single thing has been added in two weeks and all was fine. woke up this morning, battery had drained so i plugged it in. about an hour later i looked and it had thrown an error though had been taking a charge so i did a alt-cap-del restart.... security verification took forever and was doing the damn hour glass thing again. after about 30 minutes, the security verification cleared and it's back to hour glass, can't get anything to run... and i haven't backed up in a while but i guess i'm not too concerned but still, what the heck. it's a refurb so a 90 day warranty and i'm seriously thinking about sending it back. there's no log file or something i can pull is there to see what it's crapping out about?
    03-22-11 09:03 AM
    Well I found that BBSAK shows me the event log, I just have no idea what any of it means :-)
    03-22-11 09:29 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD