I just got a Blackkberry Torch, and it is the first blackberry I ever own, so there are a few things I am confused about and can not figure out.

ANY HELP IS SUPER APPERECIATED!!

1. How do I put it on stand-by or some sort of status where it will receive calls and such but is at minimal battery usage???

2. how do I add a password to require a password to unlock it from lock mode?

3. the screen turns off way to quickly on me, how do i make the light/screen stay turned on a few seconds longer if untouched?

4. Is it possible to not have all messages (email, text, calls, bbm etc) jummbled at all into the all inclusive "message" folder?

5. TEXT MESSAGES - - - - aghhhh coming from a texting phone.... this confuses me... is there a sent folder, and inbox folder etc. I want to see what i sent, and have it all easy to see, but i can't find a SENT folder... HELP!

6. TEXT MESSAGE SYMBOLS!! What are the weird symbols that appear next to text messages, ive seen what i think is a red clock, then a red X, and also a checkmark....

7. what does the silent button on the top of the device do?? i figure its silent, but i press it an nothing happens

8. Is it possible to NOT treat missed calls as a "message"???

9. HOW do I clean up the phone, like to make it run faster im assuming it generates random junk build up, cache, cookies, history etc.

I think thats all for now.

thanks so much!!!!
    05-23-11 03:06 PM
    I am answering questions I actually have experience with, others can provide details on others.

1 - it more or less does this when the screen turns off. Just make sure you have closed all the apps you've been using by hitting the BB icon next to the trackpad, and selecting "close" (instead of just hitting the end call)

3 - "Options" -> "Screen Display" scroll down to "backlight timeout." Choose time.

5 - "Text Messages" -> "BB icon" (next to track pad) -> "View Folder" -> "SMS Outbox"

6 - Clock, it can't send/waiting to send. X is not sent (failed), check mark sent.

7 - silent when the music player (and presumably other media) is on.

9 - mine hasn't been too bad. Some people perform fairly regular battery pulls.
    05-23-11 03:15 PM
    thanks for answers to 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9.....

so pulling the battery just cleans things up??? thats all it takes???

im still not understanding the silent button on the top lol
    05-23-11 03:30 PM
    2. Options>security>password and set your desired parameters.

4. Messages>options (BB key and on the menu)>Inbox management

A battery pull allows the electronics a full reset. Not often a requirement with these new devices. Memory management is pretty good these days. And the Torch comes with enough memory that slow is not an issue.

If you have not already done, once you are better acquainted with the device consider upgrading the OS to one of the latest official or leaked systems. One of the real joys of owning a BB is customization including changing the operating system from time to time.

And if you have not already done so read http://crackberry.com/blackberry-help. Enjoy.
    05-23-11 03:43 PM
    im still not understanding the silent button on the top lol
    NP with the answers, Torch is a great device so hope you enjoy it.

When you play music with your phone the button on the top is a quick mute, rather than actually having to go into the media player the pause/stop the song. Similarly you have physical buttons on the side to control volume.
    05-23-11 03:50 PM
    <snip of troll bait>
    Please ignore the troll.

To the OP, you should browse a bit up in the help section and the Blackberry 101 materials. You'll get a better understanding of the basic features and use of BB's in general. As always, the more you invest in finding out things on your own, the more rewarding the discovery will be.
    05-23-11 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD