When my first Torch "died", I backed-up and got a refurb. Torch.

Don't ask why, but I didn't use "switch device" on DM. Instead, I've got a bunch of stuff on my new Torch, but need at least all my contacts and ideally I'd like all my messages (E-mail, texts, bbm's, etc) transferred over.

I'm worried that simply doing a "restore" will wipe my new Torch clean before replacing all the data.

Any thoughts, anyone?

I'm even willing to consider a manual input of at least some of this stuff, but how to read an .ipd file in Windows?

The folks with my carrier suggested transferring over the data file, but I don't know how to do this and I'm suspicious this could also wipe my new device?

TIA.
    08-23-11 02:33 PM
    Open DM and choose "Restore". Once the restore screen opens and you choose the backup file you can then choose "Selective Restore" and then just choose your address book to restore from.
    08-24-11 05:31 AM
    Thanks for your response.

But "Address Book -- all" is dimmed, it cannot be selected and there's an advisory which reads that because it is dimmed, it is "read-only data and cannot be restored."

The address book has almost 3000 entries! I'd be "happy" to read them and manually restore, if that's what it takes, but how?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by NITWIT101; 08-24-11 at 08:20 AM.
    randmano likes this.
    08-24-11 08:10 AM
    The reason your "Address Book -- all" is dimmed" is because your contact list on your device is set to: Wireless Synchronization. For instructions on how to deselect this option on your device... open Blackberry Desktop Software... on the left hand column click on "Organizer"... Click on "Turn off wireless sync" for instructions.
    Attachment 99716

On your device: Go into CONTACTS > MENU > OPTIONS > under CONTACT LISTS > click on the email address > deselect or uncheck WIRELESS SYNCHRONIZATION

Then open Blackberry Desktop Software, connect your device, go to restore with the backup file that contains your contacts you want (address book from old device), under SELECT DATA TO RESTORE choose SELECT DEVICE DATA AND SETTINGS, now you will see that the address book is selectable!!
    01-01-12 03:42 AM
    This is what I needed to know!!! TY
    01-02-12 01:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD