The virtual keyboard in my torch will not show up anymore. I have done:

1. battery resets many times - didn't work.
    2. update the software to the latest - didn't work.
    3. reset to factory settings - didn't work.
    4. I even have set the convenience key to display virtual keyboard and it didn't work either.

Sometimes many hours later the virtual kb could show up for some reason, but then I opened the physical kb and closed it to return to the virtual kb - the virtual kb wouldn't work anymore.

The option to display virtual kb is greyed out.

It seems that the system sees the physical keyboard still opens even though it's already closed.

Anyone knows how to fix this? Is there any problem with the mechanism (e.g. broken cable, chip, etc)?
    Last edited by dumbo1975; 06-08-11 at 06:21 AM.
    06-08-11 06:18 AM
    What OS are you running?
    06-08-11 06:30 AM
    I had this same issue after my torch got wet, everything seemed to work fine except the virtual keyboard wouldn't come up and the option to use it in most places was greyed out.

Not sure if yours got wet or not, but my best guess would be a hardware failure of some sort(since you mentioned you already reinstalled the OS). I payed for my carriers insurance so I had it replaced for a small fee(was easier then claiming the 1 year manufacturers warranty from RIM). If your still within your 30 or 15 day replacement time frame from your carrier I would take it back for a replacement, if not then try and go with the warranty from RIM.

OS versions shoulder matter as there has never been that sort of issue with the virtual keyboard on any OS including the original of .141(I've used them all to date).
    06-08-11 06:51 AM
    How to claim the warranty with RIM? I bought the torch from my friend whom got it from his AT&T carrier, paid full price and then I unlocked it to work with T-Mobile. Is there anyway for me to claim the warranty direct with RIM? I believe a manufacturer should warranty their product?
    Last edited by dumbo1975; 06-08-11 at 08:13 AM.
    06-08-11 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD