Ok so long story short I picked up a brand new 9800 from an individual seller last night. I ordered the unlock code from cellunlock and unlocked the phone.

As of right now, I can make calls perfectly fine, I'm receiving emails, facebook and windows messger could be loaded with no problems and SMS is also good.

Here comes the problem. I CANNOT surf the internet using the broswer. Everytime I type in a website it will say "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider." I bought this and sold my 9700 since I wanted a bigger screen for surfing. But now it's completely useless.

Heres the question though, if data or internet is not working properly, how can facebook, messenger and email load properly? I checked the Mobile Network settings already and it's all ON.

Can anyone help me out??? Thanks a million!!!
    01-01-11 08:02 AM
    have you resent the service books?
    01-01-11 08:08 AM
    have you resent the service books?
    Sorry how would I do that? Complete noob here..
    01-01-11 08:12 AM
    Do you have an active BlackBerry Internet Service Data Plan from your phone service carrier?
    01-01-11 09:26 AM
    Do you have an active BlackBerry Internet Service Data Plan from your phone service carrier?
    Yes I do have a 500mb data plan with my carrier. As i said facebook, push email and messenger (both requires data) are working perfectly fine, only the broswer is not.
    01-01-11 09:33 AM
    I'm sure u r connected to ur wifi while u were facing those probs. Try disable ur wifi n see if u can browse d web.

Its known to torch that some wifi router is not "compatible".. It can't log u on d internet

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-11 09:38 AM
    I'm sure u r connected to ur wifi while u were facing those probs. Try disable ur wifi n see if u can browse d web.

Its known to torch that some wifi router is not "compatible".. It can't log u on d internet

No sir wifi is definitely not on. The icon on top is not there and the box in the "manage connection" is not checked.
    01-01-11 09:42 AM
    Sorry how would I do that? Complete noob here..
    Going by what your signature details entail, it looks like your carrier is Fido so...

Try going here https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=fido

and register and create an account and resend your service books.
    01-01-11 09:56 AM
    Going by what your signature details entail, it looks like your carrier is Fido so...

Try going here https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=fido

and register and create an account and resend your service books.
    Ok i called Fido and they said that website is not in use anymore. However they gave me a solution to change some WAP settings on the phone in order to make the browser to work.

Does anyone know how do I change the WAP/IP and User homepage on the 9800?

I've to change something like APN-> WAP.Fido.ca
    IP 205.151.011.011
    WAP : Login
    and there's a user name and password.

Any help would be appreciated thanks !!!
    01-01-11 02:49 PM
    Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>TCP IP>APN settings
    01-01-11 03:02 PM
    Used to be with Fido a month ago and had the same problem when I got my unlocked Bold 9000.

Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > TCP IP > APN Setting (like what tellsells said) and Enter the Following;

Enable Both APN Settings and APN Authentication

APN: internet.fido.ca
    APN username: fido
    APN password: fido

After inputing this it should work like a charm

01-01-11 03:11 PM
    Ok so long story short I picked up a brand new 9800 from an individual seller last night. I ordered the unlock code from cellunlock and unlocked the phone.

As of right now, I can make calls perfectly fine, I'm receiving emails, facebook and windows messger could be loaded with no problems and SMS is also good.

Here comes the problem. I CANNOT surf the internet using the broswer. Everytime I type in a website it will say "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider." I bought this and sold my 9700 since I wanted a bigger screen for surfing. But now it's completely useless.

Heres the question though, if data or internet is not working properly, how can facebook, messenger and email load properly? I checked the Mobile Network settings already and it's all ON.

Can anyone help me out??? Thanks a million!!!

There can be a lot of problems:
    1. Check whether if you have a BIS data plan
    2. Check APN settings
    3. If your BB device is not supported by your carrier (carrier doesn't have a correct service book for Torch):
    - Service book legacy from a supported BB device
    - Service book entry: "blackberry internet browsing service 2" has to be deleted manually (it comes back after a reboot)
    01-01-11 03:47 PM
    There can be a lot of problems:
    1. Check whether if you have a BIS data plan
    2. Check APN settings
    3. If your BB device is not supported by your carrier (carrier doesn't have a correct service book for Torch):
    - Service book legacy from a supported BB device
    - Service book entry: "blackberry internet browsing service 2" has to be deleted manually (it comes back after a reboot)
    1. check
    2. APN settings adjusted to Fido recommended settings. I didnt have to touch APN settings on my 9700 before?
    3. Probably? I'm pretty sure there are tons of Fido torch users out there?
    01-02-11 02:29 PM
    I'm still looking for the part where the Torch doesn't do anything and is actually a paperweight. At least by standard definition.
    01-02-11 04:49 PM
    ITA about the wi-fi... I turned mine off, and I was able to surf again. I did re- boot the phone right after I did that.
    Good luck!
    01-02-11 05:36 PM
    ITA about the wi-fi... I turned mine off, and I was able to surf again. I did re- boot the phone right after I did that.
    Good luck!
    wi-fi has always been off...i turned it on purposely and turned it back off, re booted it and it still didnt work....thanks anyways...

this phone is driving me insane!
    01-02-11 10:45 PM
    I'm still looking for the part where the Torch doesn't do anything and is actually a paperweight. At least by standard definition.
    i replaced 9700 with this cause I want a bigger screen for surfing. Now it doesn't let me go on the internet at all. completely defeated the purpose of upgrading. I actually do more surfing than talking on my phone.
    01-02-11 10:47 PM
    i replaced 9700 with this cause I want a bigger screen for surfing. Now it doesn't let me go on the internet at all. completely defeated the purpose of upgrading. I actually do more surfing than talking on my phone.
    Used to be with Fido a month ago and had the same problem when I got my unlocked Bold 9000.

Go to Options > Device > Advanced Syustem Settings > TCP IP > APN Setting and Enter the Following;

Enable Both APN Settings and APN Authentication

APN: internet.fido.ca
    APN username: fido
    APN password: fido

After inputing this it should work like a charm

01-02-11 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD