I'm having trouble with Vlingo importing all my contacts into it's phone book and their customer support is telling me that I have to have all my contacts in the Default contacts list.

I don't have a default list. When I go into my contacts they all read "Contact List: Unknown." If I try to create a new contact the dropdown displays two "Unknown" selections, but I cannot figure how to add a Default list.

Does anyone know how to do this? Thank you.
    09-21-10 09:14 AM
    I had a similar problem with Vlingo (almost all of my contacts were on the Unknown list, although unlike you, I did have at least 5-6 on a Default list, which is the Desktop list if you're on BES).

Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Default Services, and see what it says for Contacts. Mine only allows me the option of Desktop, but then again I'm on BES. If you are on Google Sync or Gmail contact sync, I imagine you would choose your Gmail address. Try adding a new contact after changing the setting, and see if Default is added to the drop-down display that only shows Unknown now. (Might not hurt to reboot first.)

Assuming you get that taken care of, your biggest problem will then be moving your contacts on the Unknown list to the Default list. It ain't easy. This offers what appears to be the best solution:

FAQ: Duplicate Desktop or Unknown Contact List Databases Found in Contact Options | BerryReview.com

The problem I ran into with this solution is where they tell you to open up the backup in DM in advanced restore mode and delete the databases -- DM 6 no longer has advanced restore mode (at least I couldn't find it).

I realized I use Vlingo mostly with just 3-4 contacts, so I ended up re-adding them as new contacts, making sure they were on the Default/Desktop list. But if you get to the DM part of the solution and find out how to do the Advance Restore part, let me know.
    09-21-10 09:53 AM
    @JasW, I too am on BES. I went into the --> Default Services and Desktop is also my only option. After confirming that Desktop is the default for contacts, I added a new contact and the only options in the dropdown is Unknown! I don't know what's going on. Maybe it's time for .246

I hadn't thought of adding contacts manually. I may have to resort to that. Thanks.
    09-21-10 11:11 AM
    @JasW, I too am on BES. I went into the --> Default Services and Desktop is also my only option. After confirming that Desktop is the default for contacts, I added a new contact and the only options in the dropdown is Unknown! I don't know what's going on. Maybe it's time for .246

I hadn't thought of adding contacts manually. I may have to resort to that. Thanks.
    It's definitely not the OS. Do you sync with your work PC? I don't (we use Lotus Notes FWIW), but maybe you should try syncing, then also backing up your device. Then delete the address book and try syncing again with your PC. Just make sure that you have backed up your device, though, in case the re-syncing doesn't work.
    09-21-10 12:31 PM
    I had a similar problem with Vlingo (almost all of my contacts were on the Unknown list, although unlike you, I did have at least 5-6 on a Default list, which is the Desktop list if you're on BES).

Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > Default Services, and see what it says for Contacts. Mine only allows me the option of Desktop, but then again I'm on BES. If you are on Google Sync or Gmail contact sync, I imagine you would choose your Gmail address. Try adding a new contact after changing the setting, and see if Default is added to the drop-down display that only shows Unknown now. (Might not hurt to reboot first.)

Assuming you get that taken care of, your biggest problem will then be moving your contacts on the Unknown list to the Default list. It ain't easy. This offers what appears to be the best solution:

FAQ: Duplicate Desktop or Unknown Contact List Databases Found in Contact Options | BerryReview.com

The problem I ran into with this solution is where they tell you to open up the backup in DM in advanced restore mode and delete the databases -- DM 6 no longer has advanced restore mode (at least I couldn't find it).

I realized I use Vlingo mostly with just 3-4 contacts, so I ended up re-adding them as new contacts, making sure they were on the Default/Desktop list. But if you get to the DM part of the solution and find out how to do the Advance Restore part, let me know.
    Come now. Those options are there in DM6. Click the menus in the upper left of the DM main screen. They are now called delete data and restore data. By default the "all" radio button is selected for each but there is a "selective" radio button underneath the "all" button. You can then select individual databses to delete or restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 02:40 PM
    Come now. Those options are there in DM6. Click the menus in the upper left of the DM main screen. They are now called delete data and restore data. By default the "all" radio button is selected for each but there is a "selective" radio button underneath the "all" button. You can then select individual databses to delete or restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks. When what RIM changed Advance Restore to in DM 6 wasn't readily apparent, it dawned on me that I could just re-add those few contacts I needed for Vlingo, so I didn't explore further.
    09-21-10 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD