Guide to enable UMA on an unlocked 9800 for T-Mobile

This won't work for AT&T as they don't support UMA calling (But the E-Screens are interesting anyway)

1. Go here and follow the instructions to unlock the Engineering screens. Press ATL+CAP+H on your berry and use that info to fill in the blanks on the linked page.

Zibri's Blog: Hidden things are usually the best

2. Enter the code provided on the blackberry's help screen, you wont actually see anything while you're typing but when you're done the hidden Engineering screens will appear. Use alt for numbers and dont worry about caps.

3. Download these certificates to your blackberry. (NOT TO YOUR PC) (see post #2 by otto on the linked page)

T-Mobile UMA Certificates - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

Then Reboot your Berry ALT-CAPS-DEL

4. Once you have the certs and have rebooted go back into the engineering screen ATL+CAP+H and do the following.

i. At the EScreen select <Mobile Network Engineering Screens
    ii. Select <Utilities>
    iii. Select <Session Manager>
    iv. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <UMA Options>
    v. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <New>
    vi. Enter the following: Display Name: T-Mobile Operator Name: T-Mobile UMA Protocol version: 1.0.3
    vii. Unselect <use default UNCS> and enter punc.t-mobileuncs.com use Port: 14001
    viii.Unselect <use default SEGW> and enter psgw.t-mobilesgws.com
    ix. Select the SEGW certificate named T-Mobile USA, inv. Engineering and Operations CA

Rebewt and you are all set.
    Last edited by xandermac; 04-07-11 at 12:32 PM.
    Mvor7, c0rinne, HarDass66 and 2 others like this.
    08-14-10 09:23 AM
    Mine fully unlocked and operational with UMA enabled.

Last edited by xandermac; 08-14-10 at 10:09 AM.
    08-14-10 10:03 AM
    How do I download these?

Edit.. NVM.. helps to be on the second post.. even though I read that over and over again.
    Last edited by Morgase; 08-14-10 at 01:50 PM.
    08-14-10 01:38 PM
    Hi, nice work, by any chance do you know how to fix the WiFi droping problem on the torch 9800? mine wont stay conected for more than 1 minute, then it tries to reconnect and it fails. To get a conection back I must turn of the wifi and turn it back on... Only to see it drop again in less than a minute. Please help. Thanx
    08-14-10 07:20 PM
    No, I'm sorry. I haven't heard of that issue before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 07:33 AM
    I have tried to type in the code several times and nothing is happening. I know not to back out of the screen or the "uptime" will change. I am hitting "alt" before I hit the numbers - do I need to hold "alt" while I am typing the number? I cant think of what else I would be doing wrong...
    08-15-10 01:14 PM
    Wait...the phone isn't unlocked yet. That must be it. Figured I would do that while I was waiting for my unlock code.
    08-15-10 01:17 PM
    I want UMA for my AT&T Torch! I don't know if its an even trade to scarifice 3G for UUMA but I'd love to have it! Why can't the stop being so stingey on the price of the microcell??

08-15-10 01:27 PM
    I think it is a good trade - I love my UMA calling and the speeds on WiFi are really good, even when I have my 9700 set to a 2G network (as I do now.) Since I am only not near a WiFi network when I am driving, and I won't drive and browse, I am hoping this works out well.
    08-15-10 01:39 PM
    Be aware that according to a rim kb article that the new DM6 DOES NOT BACKUP 3RD PARTY CERTIFICATES.

So be sure to use bbmcp to grab the T-Mob certs off your berry and store them somewhere just in case the link above stops working.

08-15-10 02:12 PM
    Nope, it's unlocked now and typing in the code still doesn't work. Ideas?
    08-15-10 02:37 PM
    Recreate the code and don't forget to input the perenthesis in the version number area. Also, make sure the life is set to 1 day. Also, yes, hold alt to enter numbers.

08-15-10 02:40 PM
    Ok, I had it at 3 days since a comment on the blog said it didn't matter. Let me try again.
    08-15-10 03:02 PM
    Guide to enable UMA on an unlocked 9800 for T-Mobile

This won't work for AT&T as they don't suppor t UMA calling (But the E-Screens are interesting anyway)

1. Go here and follow the instructions to unlock the Engineering screens. Press ATL+CAP+H on your berry and use that info to fill in the blanks on the linked page.

Zibri's Blog: Hidden things are usually the best

2. Enter the code provided on the blackberry's help screen, you wont actually see anything while you're typing but when you're done the hidden Engineering screens will appear. Use alt for numbers and dont worry about caps.

3. Download these certificates to your berry. (post #2 by otto)

T-Mobile UMA Certificates - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

Then Reboot your Berry ALT-CAPS-DEL

4. Once you have the certs and have rebooted go back into the engineering screen ATL+CAP+H and do the following.

i. At the EScreen select <Mobile Network Engineering Screens
    ii. Select <Utilities>
    iii. Select <Session Manager>
    iv. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <UMA Options>
    v. Press the BlackBerry menu button and select <New>
    vi. Enter the following: Display Name: T-Mobile Operator Name: T-Mobile UMA Protocol version: 1.0.3
    vii. Unselect <use default UNCS> and enter punc.t-mobileuncs.com use Port: 14001
    viii.Unselect <use default SEGW> and enter psgw.t-mobilesgws.com
    ix. Select the SEGW certificate named T-Mobile USA, inv. Engineering and Operations CA

Rebewt and you are all set.
    Im on step 3 which i already gor the certificates. But from there i get lost and don't know what to do. Please break it down for those of us that get lost

08-15-10 03:25 PM
    Nope, can't get it to work....
    08-15-10 03:31 PM
    Are you including the (278) in the version number?

08-15-10 03:33 PM
    can you break the instruction a little bit moe im on step 3 and i got lost there i dont to do n e thing until im sure i know what im doing please help. whats hidden engineering screen? my phone is unlocked all ready. do i download certificate through my phone or a PC and to my phone??

sorry for the bother i know but i just want to make sure i know what im doing thanks in advance
    08-15-10 03:37 PM
    Yup, I have the version number with parenthesis, and the uptime I change every time I back out of the screen and try again. Does it have to be done in a certain time frame? Like typed in really fast?
    08-15-10 03:38 PM
    I'm not sure how to break it down anymore than I already have. Hopefully someone else can help you out.

can you break the instruction a little bit moe im on step 3 and i got lost there i dont to do n e thing until im sure i know what im doing please help. whats hidden engineering screen? my phone is unlocked all ready. do i download certificate through my phone or a PC and to my phone??

sorry for the bother i know but i just want to make sure i know what im doing thanks in advance
    08-15-10 03:39 PM
    I entered mine immediately.

55BFE652
    6.0.0.141 (278)

You're entering it like that, yes? A space between 141 and the (278)

Then alt+cap+h to open the help screen and entering the code there?

Yup, I have the version number with parenthesis, and the uptime I change every time I back out of the screen and try again. Does it have to be done in a certain time frame? Like typed in really fast?
    08-15-10 03:42 PM
    Sorry, that wasn't clear. I meant the code. Mine looks all like that, but when it generates the code, I am typing it in as fast as I can but I wonder if I am too slow or mistyping. So everytime I think I mis-type, I back out, have it generate a new code with the new uptime, and try again. So far, it isn't getting me anywhere!
    08-15-10 03:45 PM
    There didn't appear to be a timeframe for me but I typed slowly and didn't back out of the help screen so only generated one code. I'm going to guess that the 1st code you generated and applied before you unlocked has locked you out for the 3 days that it was valid for, any subsequent codes you generated might have added to that 3 day lockout. I'd wait for a few days (being without uma won't hurt for a few) then try again with a new code.

Sorry, that wasn't clear. I meant the code. Mine looks all like that, but when it generates the code, I am typing it in as fast as I can but I wonder if I am too slow or mistyping. So everytime I think I mis-type, I back out, have it generate a new code with the new uptime, and try again. So far, it isn't getting me anywhere!
    08-15-10 03:51 PM
    Ahhh, that makes sense. Ok, I'll let it clear out for a few and try it again. I assume I wasn't locked out for the 1 day plus all the other 1 day and 3 day codes I tried to input? lol
    08-15-10 04:01 PM
    Legs hope they didn't add up.

08-15-10 04:03 PM
    I just generated a new code and it worked 1st time so yeah, it must have locked you out

08-15-10 04:17 PM
163 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD