I had a Storm 2 with a Canadian CDMA carrier and unlocked it so I could use it with a US GSM carrier. This would be the ideal situation but there isn't a lot of choice of global phones so I am considering a Torch (replacement 9550 is hard locked). My question is about HSPA, I know little about this. The wireless CDMA carrier says that this is a HSPA phone, so it needs a SIM card to use (thought SIM cards were a GSM thing). If I were to unlock this HSPA device, would I be able to put it into GSM mode, or otherwise use a SIM card from another (GSM) carrier? TIA.

Mark
    06-08-11 01:19 AM
    I had a Storm 2 with a Canadian CDMA carrier and unlocked it so I could use it with a US GSM carrier. This would be the ideal situation but there isn't a lot of choice of global phones so I am considering a Torch (replacement 9550 is hard locked). My question is about HSPA, I know little about this. The wireless CDMA carrier says that this is a HSPA phone, so it needs a SIM card to use (thought SIM cards were a GSM thing). If I were to unlock this HSPA device, would I be able to put it into GSM mode, or otherwise use a SIM card from another (GSM) carrier? TIA.

Mark
    HSPA is a GSM-carrier technology. It requires SIM cards.

Our Mobile Broadband and GSM Technology - Wireless from AT&T
    homer1475 likes this.
    06-08-11 01:39 AM
    Exactly what I was thinking when reading this post. HSPA is a GSM technology resulting in faster speeds. Unlocking the torch to use on another GSM network will work just fine, just keep in mind that certain carriers don't use the same frequency radios as AT&T therefore you wont have 3G service.
    06-08-11 07:29 AM
    .....and while you are concerned about HSPA...your torch may also display gsm, GSM, edge, EDGE, and 3G.

All are variations on the GSM technology with GSM being the slowest.
    06-08-11 07:36 AM
    .....and while you are concerned about HSPA...your torch may also display gsm, GSM, edge, EDGE, and 3G.

All are variations on the GSM technology with GSM being the slowest.
    GPRS is another mode...

to the OP, call the carrier you want to use the torch with, and see if they support the torch, and if it will get 3G coverage etc... once you have your answers, then you can get it unlocked, and you're good to go...
    06-08-11 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD