Hello all

I have finally taken the plunge and ordered a BB9800 i'll be using it on the Hutchinsons Three Network in the UK.

I'm coming from an Android phone (a Google Nexus One) which i got this time last year as Android was fairly new and has improved greatly but now there are millions and millions and millions of android users, I wanted a new phone but didn't want to be a sheep and get another Android Phone or an iPhone the idea of a touchscreen and a keyboard appealed to me so i also looked into the Palm Pre 2 but i eventually decided on a Blackberry due to the better Hardware and better Apps (though IMHO i believe webOS to be fantatsic).

Being totally new to this website and not having much time on my hands at the moment can anyone recommend any Threads i SHOULD read to help me settle into these forums?

Also can anyone recommend any accessories that i should consider getting for by BB9800 i have already have a 16GB Micro SD Card.

Many thanks to all in advance for help information and guidance

Matt
    03-10-11 09:43 AM
    Take a look at how to install leaked os and keep an yet on leaked os'es is always a good start.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...eta-os-122851/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/all...ically-561937/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mafu6 likes this.
    03-10-11 11:10 AM
    Welcome, mafu6! I hope you will love your Torch as much as I do. It's an amazing piece of technology.

Since this is your first Blackberry, I suggest the help link for getting started and setting up the basics. You can find many useful links from the page and they have articles on how to best use your berry for calls, battery usage, etc. It's a good place to begin since everything is centrally located.
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-help

I hope this can help. There are some very wonderful and helpful people on this site if you have any questions or would like advice. Hope you can take advantage when you have the time!
    03-10-11 12:56 PM
    Hello and welcome,

I would recommend updating your stock OS to at least .448 and you may want to consider purchasing a charging dock.

I hope you enjoy your new Torch...
    03-10-11 01:54 PM
    @ Ligh7ning - Are updates done OTA or are they done manually transfering data from the computer to the phone via USB? I was thinking of getting a charging dock and that one looks pretty cool. Should i get a Zagg for the screen? I had one for the nexus and it was good.
    Can you or anyone recommend a decent case too, I've been looking at the PDair flip type ones which look OK!

@ShoshiOne - I found your Link Excellent piece of advice much appreciated and plan on reading as much as possible to not only help myself but to not post "stupid questions" on here (well try not to).

@ Rrupert - This seems to me like a good idea and i would do it but TBH my tech ability is somewhat shallow and when it comes to updating things that have been leaked I'm a little unsure, thoug maybe after reading the guides i might feel a little more comfortable with it.

So guys thanks for you advice can't wait for tomorrow to get my mits on the BB it's like Christmas all over again for me :-)

Matt
    03-10-11 03:26 PM
    Welcome to BlackBerry!

When you get a second, after becoming more used to your Torch :-) have a peek at www.allaboutmybb.com there are some tips there for you as well as a video for new users.

Enjoy your new Torch!

Mark
    @allaboutmybb

03-10-11 05:03 PM
    @ Mark PPG

I'll take a look at your site in depth tomorrow just had a quick look around it and the protect app looks pretty useful i think i'll get that htc and apple have similar products do they not? But i think the BB App on your site is free which is a bonus!

You guys are very welcoming to a newbie and think the support is great hopefully one day i'll be giving someone else great advice!

Anyone got a list of must have apps i should get?

Matt
    03-10-11 05:52 PM
    Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new 9800. I know your hesitant to uprgade your OS and I was terrified the first time I did it, but as long as you read the guide, go slow, it'll be ok. It's soooo worth it. The newest OS just make the device run better.

Definitely check out BeBuzz to customize your LED notification colors. I love UberSocial (if you're into Twitter).

I love my charging dock. I keep it at work on my desk and it looks so sleek.

Enjoy!

03-10-11 07:38 PM
    Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new 9800. I know your hesitant to uprgade your OS and I was terrified the first time I did it, but as long as you read the guide, go slow, it'll be ok. It's soooo worth it. The newest OS just make the device run better.

Definitely check out BeBuzz to customize your LED notification colors. I love UberSocial (if you're into Twitter).

I love my charging dock. I keep it at work on my desk and it looks so sleek.

Enjoy!

Ya, ditto that. I think I did my first one about a week after I got it, and I was more than just a little apprehensive about it. All the info you need is on the Leaked/Beta OS forum. .448 and later really wake this thing up.

And coincidentally a new one just showed up a few hours ago.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...ndings-593772/

Welcome to the Torch family!
    03-10-11 08:33 PM
    Ok so now i have my Torch :-) it feels very solid, its that solid i put the battery in without the sim card played around a little bit then tried to put the sim in but by god removing the battery was a task and a half.

Ive connected it to the internet and now its upgrading software to the latest official one i didnt quite catch it.

Im goning to have a little play around myself set up a few things are read a few post that i have been directed to.

First impressions are good though
    03-11-11 09:17 AM
    Just got my torch 2 days ago. Loving it. Ive gone from nexus one to iphone 4 to samsung focus and now to the blackberry torch. The level of options and customization is amazing. I havent done a manual update yet but there are enough guides out there to assist. I am currently using a dial theme and it is beastly. Ill do the update to the newest OS these evening and let you know if i have any issues. I do have one question. When i update to a new OS does my theme go away or will it stay?
    03-11-11 09:55 AM
    Wonderful, you two!
    You can look through the links to help you, but don't hesitate to post and ask questions if you need. There are some amazing people who can guide you. Explore your new Torches and have fun with them!

@hunter_predd - I've only updated to official releases by at&t but my themes have always stayed. Just do a backup on desktop manager before you begin the update just to make sure you don't loose anything else you may have put on your phone already.
    If the themes were free, you can always download them again. If they were paid and from this site/Mobihand, you should be able to download them again for free from your personal account if they do get erased.
    03-11-11 10:12 AM
    So i've been using my phone for over a day now. It's solid and actually makes me think that my phone is actually a phone and not a mobile gaming device live my Android.

I love being able to use the touchscreen and all the other keys togather its fantastic, the only downside to this phone is its a little slow maybe that was because i was used to my Nexus 1ghz it does get a little frustrating. Another feature that worries me is the unlock key i always always think i've pressed it in my pocket and find myself checking it alll the time.

Overall though it does what i expected it to do and it i was going to give this phone an overall rating it would be 9/10 the only reason it isnt a 10 is because what i mentioned above.

Is their anyway to speed up the OS or is it restriced because of the 600+mghz processer?
    03-12-11 01:28 PM
    Mafu6 how do you compare the Torch to your Android phone? I'm torn between the Motorola Atrix that's coming out soon and the Torch.

Thanks
    03-12-11 01:45 PM
    @ ElliotG What do you want from your phone? Do you want it to be a phone that has lots of extra features (Blackberry) or do you want an entertainment device thats a phone (Android/Apple). Its totally upto you i'm not regretting switching from Android to BB though and i would recommend them to anyone.
    03-12-11 02:00 PM
    Mafu6 how do you compare the Torch to your Android phone? I'm torn between the Motorola Atrix that's coming out soon and the Torch.

Thanks
    i know you didn't ask me lol but the Atrix is a hardware rich phone which makes the android os work hard at keeping up. If you like android and lots of hardware goodies this is the phone for you.

The Torch is smooth as any other top phone out there and the new os features, if you're used to BlackBerry, is great. If you like the BlackBerry os and the new os's features and lets not forget the Torch also has very good hardware as well, get the Torch.
    03-12-11 02:18 PM
    @ ElliotG What do you want from your phone? Do you want it to be a phone that has lots of extra features (Blackberry) or do you want an entertainment device thats a phone (Android/Apple). Its totally upto you i'm not regretting switching from Android to BB though and i would recommend them to anyone.
    Thanks for your input.

As for what I want in the phone: I don't really know...I'm not the kind of person who sends 100's of text messages per day nor do I know a lot of people with BlackBerry's so being stuck to BBM is not an issue for me. I've never even had a BlackBerry before so I really don't know!

I have an LG Voyager right now and when the battery wasn't dead on it I used to use it for browsing the net and some texting, although it is quite a feature-poor phone so I don't know what I would want to do if I did have a better phone.

i know you didn't ask me lol but the Atrix is a hardware rich phone which makes the android os work hard at keeping up. If you like android and lots of hardware goodies this is the phone for you.

The Torch is smooth as any other top phone out there and the new os features, if you're used to BlackBerry, is great. If you like the BlackBerry os and the new os's features and lets not forget the Torch also has very good hardware as well, get the Torch.
    Thanks. I've noticed that both the Atrix (specifically scrolling through the home pages) and the Torch (on content-rich internet pages) exhibit lag from time to time which I have to say I'm very surprised to see on the Atrix especially with the dual core proc and 1Gb of ram.
    __________________________________________________ _

I feel like I'm sticking to the BlackBerry because it has a physical keyboard which is nice, but if that's the only thing that's making me think about a BB and I don't text often, why not just get an Atrix?

I really don't know what I'm going to do and deciding this is killing me...especially to think that I have to keep the phone for what may be another 3 years...in that sense, the Android is a lot more upgradeable to future OS's whereas BB scaresly releases major OS updates for their BB's.

The use of Flash on the Atrix is also interesting but I just hate typing on a virtual keyboard...(although I have not tried the Swype system nor an Android phone ever), and maybe the fact that I don't send a lot of txts would negate the fact of needing a physical keyboard like on the BB? I don't know.

I talk to my friends that have BB's and they say BB for life (as they would), but of course they haven't tried any Android phones and they love the BBM portion of it.
    03-12-11 02:55 PM
    welcome and you will find all you need on these pages
    do not be afraid of updating it really is worthwhile
    i knew nowt about bb and had no pals on bb so i was
    really on my own but follow the instructions = happy days
    03-12-11 03:02 PM
    Can you get the phone to lock upon shutting the slider without pressing the lock button?
    03-12-11 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD